Sharp Bush Knife

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Sharp Bush Knife

Post by pelmet »

Bought a floatplane flying book and it recommends that I buy a knife. Anyone have a suggestion for a specific type I should get.
---------- ADS -----------

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Sharp Bush Knife

Post by 185_guy »

This could go the way of a discussion on the best oil to use!

You thinking of a sheathe type fixed blade knife, or a small pocket knife, or a multi tool with a knife blade amongst other things? You plan to wear it on your belt? Or have it in a door pocket or emergency bag?

Whatever you get, also get a good seatbelt cutter. Bry the dunker guy has a great belt cutter.

I can’t live without my Leatherman and the AME’s all despise a pilot with one so it makes wearing it even more fun! I like a 6” hunting knife in my survival kit/bag. I envision slaying a bear then skinning it out to make a rug. Or stabbing a pax in the leg to slow them down a bit so I can run away. It’s all about survival.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Full tang belt knife plus a Leatherman

Helle, Benchmade... there are others...

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

As the others mentioned, a leatherman is key. I also carry a screwdriver with 6 or so heads in my bag, can get you out of a jam in remote places. As for the knife, a good Helle sheath knife is really nice to have. Can get some decent Buck knives too. Doesn't really matter what kind as long as it's sharp and sturdy. Try as best as possible to keep it out of the salt, and rinse it with fresh water if you can't

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I’d get this. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/147432/s ... ding-knife

Comes with the seatbelt cutter and glass break thing on the handle.

Yeah I know planes use plexiglass rendering the glass break thing useless.

bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

I flew floats for 4 years and I was the only one who wore a leatherman but funny enough everyone wanted to use it. Just be wary on who you let use it. I once got mine back with the blade all buggered up cause some meathead used it to cut lockwire...yeah I know. Anyway, I still have and use it to this day. I believe its the leatherman wave. Great tool! Also their warranty is top notch. You break a tool on it and all you have to do is ship it (you pay shipping) and they send you a new one!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”