Ski training........

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Ski training........

Post by Northern Skies »

Hey, Can anyone recommend a good place to get some ski time?

Northern Ontario would be easiest for me to get to, but I bet there would be some good experience in the real north.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

Harv's Air in Steinbach, MB used to advertise they would ski train on a Taylorcraft. You might want to taxi around with ski's for feel of steering on them. And read about the tips or rules like parking without freezing your skis to the snow. And dragging your skis around to make a track in deep or sticky snow.
I think you will find that taking off, flying, and landing on skis is much like wheels.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

^^^Thanks, I just called them. Seems like a pretty cool place. I'm trying to get a hold of sudbury aviation too, but it seems they dont like to return phone calls (tsk, tsk).

Anyone know where I could do this on a 180/185? That would be cool.

Thanks a lot for the help.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Sudbury should be all out of snow by now

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

haha........I'm just planning ahead. Way ahead.

stallie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stallie »

Hi there,

Last March, I did a ski course with Alaska floats and Skis in Talkeetna, Alaska. In an old Taylorcraft rebuilt in 1996. The instructor is the CP of Talkeetna Aero Services.

Lesson one was out into the nearby lakes for a few touch and goes, laying tracks etc, flat light etc.
Lesson two was up into Moonshadow lake, up above the tree line, then across to a couple of other lakes.
Lesson 3 we tried to get into the Alaska Range, but the weather was still pretty bad, so off to the smaller mountains - a touch and go on a mountaintop amongst the caribou, then laid a few tracks on another lake.
Lesson 4 was the culmination - a perfect day (finally) and up into Denali proper. Climbed up to 8000' then through the pass between the Moose;s Tooth and the Broken tooth, then up a steep valley near Mt Huntington (?). Then landing on the Ruth glacier for a couple of laps. Incredible. Then finally, about 8 landings on the steep glacier in the Sheldon Ampitheater beside the hut there.

Cost including 5 nights accommodation in a log cabin was USD$900 - about 6 hours flying.

The t-craft was a good machine to do it in - not too much power so you have to think. You have to get the right attitude on the skis - too much back pressure and tail digs into the snow, too much fwd pressure and the wieght on the front half of the ski=too much drag. Also see the importance of laying a good set of tracks....we were out snowshoeing the little plane out of deep snow more than once!

PM me if you want more info.

Stallie

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

That sounds incredible!

check your pm's :)

ianwhite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ianwhite »

At Gander Flight Tarining in Gander Newfoundland they offer ski training, you can use either a cessna 150, 185, or the beaver. it is also a very fun place to fly and an awesome bunch of people.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”