Northern navigation...

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Northern navigation...

Post by Northern Skies »

Can anyone help me find some in-depth info on navigating where a mag compass is useless? I've always been interested in how it was done before everyone had GPS. I'm planning to fly up between 65-70 degrees north in a few months, so i think it'd be good to know.

Also, any thoughts and references to info about a shadow-pin pelorus? An astrocompass is way too awkward for my situation.

thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

U.S. Air Force Publications Website

Manual of air navigation

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles ... 11-216.pdf

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

GMT X 15 minus West Longitude = True bearing to the sun
put GMT as (eg) 1515 = 15.2
1530 = 15.5 once you get the answer just point into the sun and reset your DG an old dog showed me this :shock:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It has been many years since I used that method of finding true heading, but it works until the sun goes down for the winter in the high Arctic. :D

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
onceacop
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by onceacop »

You can navigate by using the Rule of 60. I read about it in a bush flying book but need to refresh my memory before posting the rest. Maybe other here know what this is. Will post again after looking up the info.

Athabascan Quote: "Know one knows the ways of the wind or the Caribou".
just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Navigation while on the continent is a little dependent on where you will be flying. Along the Mackenzie Valley, and in the western arctic say wet of the mag anomoly at ......, operation is feasable in Mag. NDBs are to be found at every YK and GNWT airport, and winds in the west are given in Mag. All of the middle runs in true.

An astro compass is extremely useful, but if you don't have the panel mount, and a little practice...

Fifteen X GMT minus W Long will be your best method for setting gyros. Something else in this GPS age is to select your ADF to a nearby facility, and select your GPS to the same NDB. Ensure your GPS is set to variation zero and note the Relative bearing of the facility on your GPS, and rotate your gyro so that the ADF needle points to the GPS derived bearing.

Get the maps for your trip before you get up north, since map stores north of YK or YXY are few and far between, and usually claened out by the pilot that preceeded you.

Some useful links:
http://map.aeroplanner.com/mapping/chart/smartchart.cfm

Online maps showing a bit of the western arctic

http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/

Sunrise/Sunset plus astronomical data... useful if you find an astro compass

http://www.airrouting.com/content/tdcalc.html

Time Distance Calculator[/code]

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

PT6-114A wrote:GMT X 15 minus West Longitude = True bearing to the sun
put GMT as (eg) 1515 = 15.2
1530 = 15.5 once you get the answer just point into the sun and reset your DG an old dog showed me this :shock:

Cool! That works really well. I Just tried it on my balcony and it was off by 0.7 degrees. The sun is almost directly overhead, too. I dont understand why they really didnt want to teach this to us in college.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Northern: Where did you get a compass that is accurate to 0.1°? :D

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

It's not.

It's a Suunto MC-1. The markings on the rose are every 2 degrees.
When I took that bearing, I eyeballed it to be a bit more than a quarter, but a bit less than half way between the two markings. Hence the approximation of 0.7 degrees. :)

However, there are at least 5 possible errors I didnt account for.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

Thanks Just Curious, that helps. The Navy one is really interesting.

One Problem though, does the 15gmt-lon method have any exceptions? I just tried it again: (23x15)-125.2=219.8 but the chart data on that website says it should be 241.5 and my compass bearing read 219 magnetic which works out to 240. What went wrong?

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”