care to explain??

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Federally
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Federally »

Okay Parallel is decent for out West....any operators you guys would recommend in Ontario. I know Ontario probably the best Prov. to train but taking the time off work for lengthly periods isn't an option.
Thanks in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

c_172pilot wrote:I don’t know Kevin's exact experience but I do know that he flew out in the Alberta oil fields for a few years. He also did some neat stuff like power line patrol and others. The instruction on my course was very professional and made me feel confidant going in to places that I thought I would never be able to take an airplane into. If you have any questions about the course the best place to get the info would be right from School themselves. As far as it being "extreme" how would you make it stand out from all the rest of the Bush and Mountain where all you do is land on a gravel strip or toy around near some rocks? Murph what courses did you do at Parallel?

I suppose being CFI of a flight school half an hour from Calgary qualifies as the oil fields. :roll: He did do patrols of some form, don't remember what they were for, or another and charters in an Aztruck though.

As for Murph's instructor, just because he isn't dry behind the ears yet is no reason to hold it against him. Just give him a cookie and he'll be happy. :mrgreen:

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

Cat Driver wrote: How can anyone "contour fly" the mountains of Vancouver Island and the mainland" in a Cessna 172?

A 172 would have trouble contour flying a farmers field with humps in it.
There you go running down that fine little bird again. Tsk, tsk. You've obviously never went cow chasing in one. I've never flown in the mountains on the island but it does just fine in the ones nearby.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Shiny side...

...I was not slagging a 172, I was trying to point out the hype used in their "Extreem Bush Flying Course."

To use the words " contour fly " means to keep the same up and down distance from the mountains.

The way this whole course is hyped is best examined by the missuse of these two words.

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

True enough, but I just happend to be reading an aricle in the latest Aviator magazine which mentions Parallel and their course which seems to draw a fair amount of foreign pilots looking for some "bush" flying. To them I guess compared to Europe and Asia any flying in Canada might be considered "bush" flying. While our Canadian posters here might scoff at the notion I'm guessing a fair amount of the tourists take it for the real goods so "Extreme flying" might just all be relative.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
shitdisturber
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by shitdisturber »

I'm still trying to figure out how anybody gets away with calling those gopher hills on the island "mountains". They're not even particularly tall gopher hills. :?

ice ice baby
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ice ice baby »

I did my PPL at Parallel in Campbell River on the Air Cadet contract. I wasn't impressed because they didn't teach us any radio nav. So 90% of us ventured into the Victoria and Vancouver area with virtually no understanding of VOR's and NDB's. The VOR in my plane didn't even work, and the voice radio only most of the time. I didn't learn to use radio aids until doing my night rating I was impressed with my instructor, but I don't think she was impressed with parallel.......now about the 50 hour float course. I only know one person that did it there. HE WAS NOT IMPRESSED. Part way through his training, one guy got bumped for 2 swiss air pilots wanting to do there float ratings, even though they had only told parallel that one guy was coming. He was wasting his time sitting on his ass in Campbell River. Another guy I know contacted air hart in Kelowna and they were not doing any training that month, so he did 25 hrs at Pacific Wings or something in Sechelt, loved it, and it looks like he might find his first flying job there.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”