Anyone know more about this NWO wreck?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Anyone know more about this NWO wreck?

Post by Idriveplane »

Cruising near Wiebenville one day I came up on this. Reg was C-FBER, an Otter of Pickle Lake Air Services. Anyone know why it crashed and why parts of the wreck are missing?

---------- ADS -----------

Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

I'd also like to know more?

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Don't know anything about the wreck, but I'm guessing the reason parts are missing is the same reason parts go missing from all wrecks--guys looking for usable parts, data plates, etc.

Ride
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ride »

I am assuming by what I could dig up the crash happened quite some time ago (020986) so
I am sure since then people have been about and salvaged what they coould. Reasons, couldn't find any details.

Date: 02 SEP 1986
Type: de Havilland Canada DHC-3 Otter
Operator: Pickle Lake Air Services
C/n / msn: 86
First flight: 1955
Crew: Fatalities: / Occupants:
Passengers: Fatalities: / Occupants:
Total: Fatalities: / Occupants:
Airplane damage: Written off
Phase: Unknown
Nature: Unknown
Departure airport: ?
Destination airport: ?
Narrative:
Forced landing in swamp.

Sources:

Ballsssssss
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ballsssssss »

Someone probably had the dataplate off by the 2nd bounce...

TT: don't care PIC: still don't care MPIC: really really don't care TURBINE: get a life.

Life's never fair, get a helmet.
Lastcat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lastcat »

Pickle Lake Air Services, Austin Airways' last floatbase operation, was sold and operated as Kelner Airways in May 1986. BER was purchased from a Quebec company that spring and joined Otter ODT; they also had a Beaver and a couple of C-185's.

That August BER suffered an engine fire on start up at the dock in YPL resulting in an engine change. On its first revenue flight, with the new engine, it was headed north to Opap. (site of the current Musslewhite Mine) with a load of drill rod when a bearing let go in the engine nose case, catching fire and crash landing in the swamp. The pilot did a hell of a job getting her down, he and the swamper walking away unhurt.

Most of BER burnt except the tail, wings and floats; the engine was removed for inspection by the NTSB. As you can imagine, the airline and insurance companies were in court for years with the engine overhaul facilitiy.

The mid to late 80's were a very busy time in NWO for floatplane operators due to the gold exploration boom; Midwest drilling alone had 40-50 drills turning year round in the YPL region. Kelner immediately bought Otter DAK from Green Airways in Red Lake to replace BER, then added a Beech 18 on skis and floats and Otter SUB from Harbour Air in BC. 100 Series Twin Otter RDD on skis was leased for a winter from Nahanni Air (per Northwright Air) in Norman Wells, then the following summer Kelner purchased Twin Otters QBU and DMR with skis and floats.

In Sept 87 they recieved their first Caravan, KAL, the first commercially operated C-208 in Canada, and second one registered next to the RCMP's machine. Two C-208B Super CargoMasters showed up in the spring and fall of 88 and the rest, they say, is history.........................

Red Line
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red Line »

Very informative! I'm familiar with some of the planes mentioned, so it was interesting to hear a part of their history. Thanks!

CGZMT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CGZMT »

Where is this crash located in relation to Weibanville. I am currently doing some work up the 599 near Windigo for the MNR. Pass the strip at least four times a week. Wouldn't mind a nice hike. THX

The more you know the more trouble you can get in!
Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

Thanks for the info lastcat

CGZMT: The wreck is several miles north of the highway through dense bush and muskeg. I't would be quite a venture, I'd only attempt it in the winter.

Gregmadden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Anyone know more about this NWO wreck?

Post by Gregmadden »

Thanks for your comment lastcat...I appreciate them
How did you get the details..they are very accurate
Any more info required?
I was the pilot of the aircraft
Cheers
Greg

Gregmadden
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re:

Post by Gregmadden »

Ballsssssss wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:04 am Someone probably had the dataplate off by the 2nd bounce...
No bounce it stopped in 183 feet!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”