northern diet.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

jet a1
Rank 6
Rank 6

northern diet.

Post by jet a1 »

hi everyone. here's the deal, i am currently lurking way up north and since i've been here i've started going to the gym. my question for those of you who are in a similar situation, what's a good diet for someone who's working out wanting to gain some mass, and living in a town where groceries are expensive? any tips?
thanks.
jet
---------- ADS -----------

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Bread.. Pasta, and other "hearty" foods.. carbs, carbs and more carbs.

Mass in no time, and they're cheap wherever you go..

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

Well carbs are great but what about that .. diet thing???? what a scam. Dont forget the beer...that'll add some mass :)

bb lint
Rank 2
Rank 2
Location: the house on your street that never has the lights on

Post by bb lint »

Generally speaking whey protein (most varieties) can be shipped fairly cheap as it is light, and is a staple for alot of builders and lifters anywhere. Taste like crap at first but you get used to it...kind of like French Wine and Big Bear Beer (the true North answer to Vitamin B).
Some day you'll be premier of Nunavit.

"Do you tink I’m crazy or someteen?"
- René Dahinden
Powell887
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Powell887 »

I worked for a few years as a trainer at the YMCA here in Niagara and I found that high carbs are definately the way to go if you're looking for a cheap way to feed yourself...Stick with foods that have no preservatives!!

However, it also depends on your workout methods....if you are doing more aerobic activity you will burn more calories....As opposed to aerobic, use short powerful bursts (low reps lots of weight) You'll pack on the pounds in no time...

Lastly, if you're looking for high protein and cheap....get yourself a rifle and ba yourself a deer...you'll have so much meat you'll have to give away some....LOL

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

You guys slay me! How do I bulk-up? Martinis and caviar, of course! Call me in about fifteen years when you're trying to bulk-DOWN!!!!

c_172pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by c_172pilot »

Ok here is what you need to do for cheap protein. If your north where there is lots of fish get a rod and some tackle. That will run you anywhere from $20 at a garage sale to $$$. I lived off of deer for a year in the Charlottes. I didn’t have to buy any meat all year. My buddy had a boat so we went fishing a lot too. Plus it is a lot of fun. Just make sure you get all the licences. Think aviation is confusing try firearms laws.
Just my 2 cents

c_172pilot
Aviation is proof, that given the will,
we have the capacity to achieve the impossible."
The Dude
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Dude »

Bread and pasta? Fools! here's the secret to bb lints physique

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

I did a quick google on cheap low carb diets and their seems to be a lot of info out there. I suggest you have a look. Weight is very easy to put on but is a proper bugger to take off again. Just remember, if you put more in then you excercise off you are going to gain weight, it's that simple.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

stick to the northern store issue thin crust pizza. cheap, acceptable taste what more can you ask for?

bb lint
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bb lint »

Hey DUDE

mmmm mmmm mmm ------- your making me homesick

- René Dahinden
bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by bandaid »

Sorry Jet,
I re-read your post and you will gain mass and weight working out without a pile of help, muscle weighs more than fat. If you want help though, they make many supplements for weight gain that will help you. Do a little research before you buy and ask a trainer at your gym what they recommend. If a trainer is certified then they should be able to help you with diet questions.

The Dude
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Dude »

bb lint

Your gelatinous gyrations are mesmerizing. Must stop looking.

Jet a 1, I’m not a nutritionist but I can tell you carbs are good fuel but you need protein to put on muscle mass. If you are loading and unloading gear all day go ahead and eat all the carbs you want but if you are sitting on your ass all day then I would lower the amount of carbs you eat. Try to stay away from the processed stuff, they are cheap and easy but your blood sugar will be going up and down like a yoyo, see picture of bb lint. I used to live off canned tuna with pasta, rice or yams, cheap and easy to make but it’s like eating cardboard. If you are poor but serious, learn how to cook beans and lentils and other legumes, they are cheap and very high in protein. Any connections for game meat or fish? Also try eating smaller but more frequent meals if possible. Buy a low sugar protein shake powder and have it when you don’t have time to have proper meal. Don’t be conned into buying the most expensive stuff, most of them buy their protein powder from the same supplier.

scubasteve
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by scubasteve »

Now Homer I'm going to slap your belly and time how long it takes for it to stop moving....

"SLAP"

Woohoo! Look at that blubber fly!!

bb lint
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bb lint »

DUDE
Beans and lentils, wholegrains: in a cockpit the morning after.
~~~~~~sniff~~~~~~~~~

Bean there..
I'll take the whale blubber
taste better too
..With all Dude respect
the "Lint" 8)

- René Dahinden
Ralliart
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Ralliart »

Post your question on the Men's Health forums rather than Avcanada and you'll probably get more informative responses.

http://forums.menshealth.com/forum.jspa?forumID=31

On these forums, Kraft Dinner is considered a staple food item. :D :oops:

jrhappy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Been Dar Done Dat

Post by jrhappy »

Find the biggest Eskimo Lady you can and follow by example. But, watch out for the small rig pig communities STD's amuk

Dam Happy to be Here!
The Dude
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Dude »

bb lint wrote:DUDE
Beans and lentils, wholegrains: in a cockpit the morning after.
~~~~~~sniff~~~~~~~~~
He did say he just went up north and is trying to save cash, I figured I'll be a couple of years before he sees a cockpit :lol: . I'd rather eat the whale blubber too.

PARADISE
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PARADISE »

Sounds weak my friend. Go out and but a book. This is an aviation fourm, not wihiny buck "O" five forum. Try self reliance, get off avcanada for a spell.

Muscles are for fags

LH
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LH »

jet a 1 -------depends on where you call "way up north". To me that means where a 4L jug of milk is worth $12.89 and good vegetables are like something you find in the dumpsters down south behind restaurants. So define what you call "way up north" please.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”