Previous mil helo time

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

wolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Previous mil helo time

Post by wolf »

I am currently in the military and I am contemplating my options for an aviation career should I get out in the near future. I currently hold
a fixed wing commercial license with about 500hrs. I was initially a pilot
in the military and upon graduation from the jet course I was sent to
Portage to fly the Bell 206. Unfortunately I ended up failing the helo
course. In the airforce if you fail one part of training you are done. I
managed to get approx 60hrs of bell 206 time before I was kicked off the
course. The time has been recognized by Transport Canada. I guess my
question is......would a potential employer see my failure on the helo as a black mark and therefore limit my employability? or
would my 60hrs of turbine time be looked at favourably? Would you recommend I stick to fixed wing? Despite failing the helicopter course I think I was pretty good. By the way I failed my low level nav test( I had a bad day).
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

Have you tried caaviation?

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

Usualy with ex mil pilots problems are encountered when they have to
push, load, fuel, clean, tent aircraft ect, all by themselves sometimes [my lord] and fly [cant forget that one] Many have created the stereotype for being ####### equipment and difficult to train or re-train into a certain companies way of doing things. Not a shocker as they are a product of the environment that created them, and worth mentioning that a civy chopper pilot [with some good experiance] would never make a good military pilot [in peace time anyway] With yourself its hard to say, maybe some civy operators would think not much of your flunking out. Of course you would have to realize that your a low timer, and be willing to learn. No attitude "well back in portage we did it this way" .If you actualy think as you say "I was pretty good" then you might as well stay driving tanks.

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

i cant believe they edited that.

rough with

hows that

h fhfhf a fhfhf r fhfh d fhfhf o fhfh n fhfh

jesus he's done it again.

wolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wolf »

If you actualy think as you say "I was pretty good" then you might as well stay driving tanks.

What do you mean by the above statement? I meant that despite failing I wasn't a down and out total loss with respect to having the ability to fly a helo......by the way I do have a great attitude and am quite willing to work.

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

It has to do with attitude. Civy operators won't touch you if they think your just gonna cost them a couple hundred thousand or worse. They've seen it time and again where a low timer gets a couple hundred hours and thinks he gods gift to aviation, only to find out the hard way........

All I implying is that you cant say to a prospective employer that "I think I'm pretty good" when he knows your background and where your coming from. Modest professionalism is the best approach. The finest pilots I've ever worked with Fixed or Rotary are all Marvin Milktoast not
Maveriks. If flying is where you feel you belong then I wish you all the best. It's rough for anyone starting out as a low timer. Your tutor and turbine helo hours can be looked on as good exposure to different aspects of aviation, and can help to make you a more rounded aviator if you maintain the right attitude.

LH
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LH »

Wolf ----- what ever your decision, if you should decide that aviation is where you want to make your career (and I wish you all the best), remember these words because they will carry you ever so far in this business:

God gave Man two ears, two eyes and ONE mouth and he did that for a reason"

If you should ever forget that for one moment, you'll find that this business we all call aviation, will "slice you and dice you" really quick.

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Failed?

No no.. You didn't fail, you wanted out of the Military and "failed" on purpose..

Lordy... Atleast get your facts "straight."

wolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wolf »

Ha Ha Ha....Goodpoint! Failed is such an ugly word.......

whatever the reason the military trained me to fly a Tutor Jet(180hrs) for which I graduated only to fail me on the Helo crse after 60hrs....

I currently have 16yrs in the military as an officer and I am contemplating "retirement"...my passion always was and still remains flying. I currently hold a commercial licence with about 500hrs. I have flown jumpers and even owned my own little 150 for two yeas. In between tours overseas, the arrival of my son I decided to sell it.

I am in a stage where I am trying to find balance...perhaps renting/owning is the way to go. Reading this board I have been left with a pretty negative impression of the aviaition world. I would not be in a position to leave the military for another 4 yrs.....I have come this far so I want the pension...besides I will only be 38yrs old.

People are very quick to judge on these boards...it makes me laugh.

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

Wolf,

There are a greater number of rotary people at CAaviation, if you want opinions on the helicopter side of things. If you decide to go fixed-wing, I would think that you are in a decent position. You have already proven your ability to fly a plane to a very high standard, and just had problems with the helicopter, which you may, or may not, have even wanted to fly in the first place. The pension is a great idea. Are you in a position to instruct part-time while you are putting in the rest of your military time? Seems like a great chance to build hours and make $$$, giving you a stable financial base to pursue your "retirement" in aviation....!

wolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wolf »

Thanks for the reply..sometimes I think I am selling myself out waiting to collect the pension but I know that it makes financial sense.

I am currently in Ottawa and have thought about completing my Instructor rating. I was somewhat reluctant to start it as I am likely going to move to S. Ont upon retirement and was planning to complete the rating at the school that would hopefully employ me. I know I am getting older and I think my expectations are reasonable. I would like to be a an instructor for awhile and possibly charter pilot...I know working with the big boys is likely unrealisitic. Any thoughts

wolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wolf »

Thanks for the reply..sometimes I think I am selling myself out waiting to collect the pension but I know that it makes financial sense.

I am currently in Ottawa and have thought about completing my Instructor rating. I was somewhat reluctant to start it as I am likely going to move to S. Ont upon retirement and was planning to complete the rating at the school that would hopefully employ me. I know I am getting older and I think my expectations are reasonable. I would like to be a an instructor for awhile and possibly charter pilot...I know working with the big boys is likely unrealisitic. Any thoughts

LT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LT »

Sounds like a good plan.

I'm certain that regardless of your skills a flight school would surely take you on as an instructor.

The gimmick of "Oh, we have an instructor who's an Ex-Air Force Pilot" will definetly get you on the top of the resume pile.

LH
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LH »

Wolf ------apologies, I misunderstood your situation. Sounds to me as though you have this already well thought out and I see nothing "out-of-line" with any of your thinking. Suggestion though: you might also want to give some consideration to going with some company that instructs and has charter, both in the F/W and R/W sides. They do exist and you might just get everything you want in one shot.

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

I dont want to play devils advocate but he's not an air force pilot. He would be an ex air force officer who flunked pilot training. Now before anyone gets emotional I think it's possible for someone in your shoes to go to the regionals fairly easy. Do the instructor rating today and build time wherever, in a few years you'll have your 20 and still be relativly young. What could be better. Then the hard couple of years [financialy] getting multi time would be alot more comfortable. Hopefully by then the industry has picked up some steam and Air Canada Jazz is looking. You must have military friends flying there. Minimums for Jazz can be as low as an ATPL [depending on need, and who you know] A degree and your MO [if you spent the rest of your CanForce time in a Blue uniform] would again help to get you in the door, not to mention second language. I've known a few guys in your situation, all toil over which move to make, what they figure there youth is worth and where to spend it. You never know, you could end up with two pensions.

Good Luck

wolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wolf »

No apologizes...I am not a "wings qualified airforce pilot" ......after my fall from grace I actually went into the Army and haven't looked back.

I appreciate the advice.

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by donnybrook »

When are you going to S Ont? If you still have a couple of years left in Ottawa, you could talk to the schools in your area about hiring you. Then when you make your move south you might have a couple of hundred instructional hours already...

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”