WTF? $150 a day for an experienced float pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: WTF? $150 a day for an experienced float pilot

Post by 180 »

SpArKkY1980 wrote:I'm used to being treated like @#$! for low wages...
Good thing. Enjoy your summer, Troll.
---------- ADS -----------

floatman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatman »

Shimmy, Highsea, Hoov

You guys need to get out from under the rock more often. $10 per hour to fly an airplane is not "OK", or "fair".

$2500 per month is a disgrace and you guys that keep condoning it are hurting the whole industry. Ya, ya.. first year on floats and all that.. anyone who is sharp enough to secure the job should be sharp enough to know that you are going to work your ass of for 6 months and take home a grand total of $11 thousand bucks after tax for the season.

Pitiful that this is accepted in 2008. I made $3200 + room and board in 1998 as my first job on floats.

Wake up and realise that there is a whole big world outside of your bubble. Times have changed and $2500 per month is bullshit. Sorry muchachos.

Don't Let the Same Dog Bite You Twice - . Berry
Highsea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Highsea »

floatman wrote:Shimmy, Highsea, Hoov

You guys need to get out from under the rock more often. $10 per hour to fly an airplane is not "OK", or "fair".

$2500 per month is a disgrace and you guys that keep condoning it are hurting the whole industry. Ya, ya.. first year on floats and all that.. anyone who is sharp enough to secure the job should be sharp enough to know that you are going to work your ass of for 6 months and take home a grand total of $11 thousand bucks after tax for the season.

Pitiful that this is accepted in 2008. I made $3200 + room and board in 1998 as my first job on floats.

Wake up and realise that there is a whole big world outside of your bubble. Times have changed and $2500 per month is bullshit. Sorry muchachos.
So, what would you say he is worth then?

floatman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatman »

Personally, I think $3500 ++ is an absolute starting point as a first year full time float pilot.

It lasts for 20-22 weeks and then you are back on the streets looking for something to keep you going till next year, when, if you busted your ass and managed not to break anything you get to do it again after a long, cold winter because you can't afford anything but the bare essentials on what you have made during the season.

What I don't understand is how people can rationalize $10 per hour to be a pilot. You wouldn't accept that to be a worker in a factory or a construction job or a sales position so why is there still this ongoing debate over shit wages for a young pilot... I'll tell you why... because people keep accepting it and being told that it's "fair" by people who don't have the coconuts to stand up and demand a fair wage for themselves.

There have been several threads started about unionizing and each time the poll gets more and more in favour of some sort of brotherhood, but until its formalized, guys will still go to work for operators paying $2500 to pilot "A" this year with the promise of more money etc. next year. Come next year, the operator goes and hires pilot "B" for the season for $2500 per month and perpetuates the problem, meanwhile pilot "A" has realized that he IS worth more than the shit wage he got last year and shops around until he gets something decent. The key is to cut out the 1 year of pain working for the stingy operator. If every single guy he interviewed demanded at least $3500 (or whatever the $ figure) he would start to see a benchmark forming and either pay up or close up shop if he can't afford to pay the freight. Dollars to doughnuts he has jacked his prices every year for the last 10 citing "increased overhead" and when you run a "FLY IN" service, the pilots are a big part of that and deserve to be compensated for their dedication to their profession and hard work provided to the operator.

$2500 per month is crap and you should move on. If he can't afford to pay you then what kind of maintenance is being done?

Highsea
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Highsea »

floatman wrote:Personally, I think $3500 ++ is an absolute starting point as a first year full time float pilot.

I agree that would be a great wage, But I really think you will not find any that would pay that for flying a small Cessna with room and board with just a float rating. I do think that the next year, he would be looking at the range.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Floatman, I agree with you.

However, I would like to point out that "donning" is spelled with two "n"s.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
floatman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatman »

Thanks for the help melon-head.

You must be a blast at at a party.. do you correct grammer too? That must get the ladies all hot and bothered.... :goodman:

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Grammar

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
floatman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatman »

yer a nob :butthead:

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Knob!!!

Are you doing this on purpose?

floatman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by floatman »

Doing wot? Are you loosing it?
You shood relax. :roll:

Blue Side Down
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Blue Side Down »

Now that's entertainment :smt040

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ruddersup? »

QNN

If you can get a job with your limited experience - grab it at any pay.
I've been an operator for 25 years and I could not get insurance with your experience. An operator, if he was a gambler and prepared to give you a big break, should use you only for servicing the camps (no passnegers). Big gamble, hull coverage not valid. Liability, not also. Why are we doing this? Give some thought to an operators situation. Seems to me bad mouthing operators is fashionable.
Grab your chance

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”