Little pilot asking experienced fellows

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Katana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Little pilot asking experienced fellows

Post by Katana »

Hi fellow pilots

I have just obtained my PPL. Still have a very long way to go for building time. Unfortunately I can't fund the Multi IFR :cry:
Every once in a while, I hear good ideas on how to build up hours, such as:
* fly as a volunteer, bringing aircraft back to departure point, flying to remote islands.
* Some idea is to buy an airplane or a share of it for training then sell it.
* Flying my friends for sky sightseeing, they will share the expenses.
* Aerial banner advertising.
* Ramp or dispatch job
* Volunteer bush pilt

Very confused...... May I ask the fellow pilots with more knowledge and experience to help me with some good ideas. I would appreciate that so so much

Thanks a lot[/b]
---------- ADS -----------

bb lint
Rank 2
Rank 2
Location: the house on your street that never has the lights on

Post by bb lint »

Hi Kat, welcome aboard.
RE "Aerial banner advertising." you can't receive compensation ($) for this with a PPL and you need to have the necessary skills and a/c to tow stuff, it's not as easy as it looks.
:P Cozy up to someone who has a plane, loves to fly but lost their medical :lol:

"Do you tink I’m crazy or someteen?"
- René Dahinden
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Little pilot asking experienced fellows

Post by shimmydampner »

Katana wrote: Every once in a while, I hear good ideas on how to build up hours, such as:
* Ramp or dispatch job
* Volunteer bush pilt
Your post was a little unclear but I'm assuming you're working towards your CPL, and want to know how to build time thereafter. If you wanna get into bush flying, get a float rating at some point in your training and go work the dock somewhere. In BC it shouldn't be that hard to find an operator that will give you some time for working hard and with any luck you'll move up to a line pilot. At least, that's the way it goes here in NWO.

Volunteering? No, please never ever let the thought of working for nothing cross your mind again, especially on this forum where you will surely get flamed by lots of angry pilots. Working for nothing is just as bad as buying your PPC/job. It cheapens every other pilot out there and drags everyone down. There is a big difference between working your ass off on the dock to eventually achieve your ambitions and working for free.

Katana
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Katana »

bb lint
Thank you for your comment.

shimmydampener
Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate your advice. :)

I heard there 're some bush pilot jobs but in remote islands. But I can't understand how can a student be working in a remote island and attending his flight school at the same time :roll: .

Anyway, I wish someone can help with a link to a bush pilot operators' directory on the net.

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Transport Canada has an aircraft registar, and an operator database online. You can search these databases, and get address, phone #'s, and i think it says if they operate on floats or wheels. Then, you can search that company name on google and get even more info. I found lots of companies this way, including the one i am working for now.

I lost the address, but this shouldent be hard for you to find in the Transport Canada web site.
Good Luck.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Here's the Transport site:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/ActivePage ... search.asp
Unless you're looking for a specific operator the easiest thing to do is just pick a region (probably Pacific for you) and just sift through the many operators.

This link may actually be a little more helpful to you. It won't have all the ones in the Transport site, but it's much more user friendly and has lots of good contact information:
http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/JobRes ... ountryID=1

Hope this helps and good luck.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”