Forward Slips

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

4 Green :

Exactly.
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

Hey .,

I think we're both arguing the same thing here and just interperting each other wrong.
Cat Driver wrote:Justplanecrazy....

I will occasionaly glance at the airspeed when slipping but only briefly to confirm its reading, I rely on the visual clues outside the airplane and the sound and feel remains the same if I wish to hold the slipping attitude..

This was the whole point that I was trying to relate. You need to glance at your airspeed once in a while to confirm your Attitude. I never meant that I don't teach a proper attitude or tell the student to stare at your airspeed, simply use it as a confirmation. A quick check once in a while is a good assurance you're doing things right.

To try and teach a student how to do it right with no way of confirming that he's right without you, is pretty hard unless you teach the airspeed relation. The more you know the plane and flight in general the less you need to glance at your airspeed. But when you're a student pilot, solo, low to the ground, and not used to mountainous terrain, your attitude can get screwed up in a big hurry. Simply checking your airspeed now and again will ensure that you're not bleeding it off and holding the correct attitude.

I do agree with you in that Attitude is everything. Don't change your attitude as you stare at your airspeed but hold your airspeed as you stare at your attitude.

I think the only idea that I'm trying to introduce is that if you're ever unsure about your attitude, check your airspeed.

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
homer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by homer »

Haahhahaha .. you guys both make great points and I agree with justplanecrazy,without the airspeed indicator for reference how will they know the attitude is right in the first place ....but thought I would put in a post..you sound like an old married couple..hahaha..

MUSICMAAN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MUSICMAAN »

I've done a full slip in a cub on floats without problem, but not with full flap, not saying it can't be done. But it is something to keep in mind, in some planes, (Cessna's for instance), a full slip with full flap can and in most cases will disrupt the air flow over the tail and cause a buffet, and maybe a tail stall. Not to say that this happened to the fella in the cub but it can happen. I don't think floats have much to do with it at all other than adding more of a wall to the airflow.

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

homer wrote:Haahhahaha .. you guys both make great points and I agree with justplanecrazy,without the airspeed indicator for reference how will they know the attitude is right in the first place ....but thought I would put in a post..you sound like an old married couple..hahaha..
hahaha... Hey its legal now and Cat's not giving me any either so there's a good chance we could be married.

I've read about the Cessna caution for full flap slips but they don't talk about the tail stall. Just wondering where you got that info from about the tail stall. That's what I thought their reasoning was but then a Flight Instructor talked to some high up Cessna Personell and they said that there was some unexplained funny noise and there isn't any real reason for not doing them. Sounds like he had no clue what he was talking about.

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”