Telemetry

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Telemetry

Post by Airtids »

I've been flying telemetry for over 7 years now, and something has recently come up in the different methodologies of tracking.
In the past, I've flown a pattern where once the signal is received, I determine which side it's coming from, and make a 90 deg turn in that direction. I then fly until signal reaches peak strength, turn again in direction of strongest signal, and repeat. This continues until we are right on top of the animal (3, maybe 4 turns). Always has worked very well, and has been efficient in terms of time.
New biologist two years ago, however, preferred to continually flip between right and left antennae, and fly as direct a path to the animal as possible. This seems to work reasonably well, but the problem is that in the terrain we work in, and some of the animals we're locating (Cariboo, Mtn. Goats, etc.) I find that I get a lot of signal bounce that can lead you off in the wrong direction by following this procedure.
Any suggestions?
---------- ADS -----------

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

Tray your way again, If he doesn't want to do it your way - let him do it his, keep him ahppy besides he pays by the hour

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by sky's the limit »

Hi Tids,

I did about five years worth of telemetry too, also in the mountains.

I stared out with a box method, much like you described, especialy in high terrain where you get signal bounce off the mountains. The "direct" method was shown to me by particular biologist as well, turning directly into the signal and switching from left to right quickly to keep the signal strength even until you arrive at the animal.

I found this to be a very efficient way of doing things, but when you are doing low-level stuff, assisting with capture etc, you have to be on your toes as yo'll go by the damn thing in a hurry and just confuse yourself.

I always have the box in my lap, although the odd biologist wants it for himself - my airplane, my way!

Have you tried fish?

Anyway, not much help, but that's the way I did it.

STL

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

The above described methods seem complex (maybe it's just me). When we go, I fly the airplane and let the person beside me say where and when to turn. (That is of course unless I deem it unsafe to do so).

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Switch,

You can make things MUCH quicker by having control of the box yourself, and it's not very complex at all. This is especial true when signal bounce in the rocks makes picking up the true signal difficult at longer ranges.

Why involve two brains?

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

STL,
Yup, I also control the box which I have strapped to my knee. My only complaint about the direct method (besides dealing with the bounce) is I can't help but think about the toll all that switching is taking on the box. I'm just waiting for the day to come when we're halfway done a survey and i'm reduced to treacking with one antenna because the switch finally gave up the ghost. I've done single antenna tracking before, but it's like a two-legged dog chasing rabbits!
The only fish I've done are visual surveys of anglers.

Switch,
My job becomes a lot easier when I get a biologist who is willing to help give direction. Many times, however, the animals have moved such great distances that they don't even have a clue where the thing may be, or you get a biologist who is new to the program on board, or quite often the biologist doesn't want to give any direction whatsoever as they fear any input of theirs may add a bias to the data. As we know, bad data is worse than no data...

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Tids,

That little box can take some abuse, I've used the same one for five years. It's been frozen, heated up on the dash in July, dropped, kicked and sat on more times than I can count, besides, it's Dept. Renewable Reasources property...

Take care

Switchfoot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Switchfoot »

Airtids and Sky's The Limit:

Thanks for the information....I'll give your advice a try! Clear skies and safe flying.

8)

Sunday Looper
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sunday Looper »

I just started flying telemetry and I use both methods discussed above, as well as a circling method when I'm low level and close to the animal and going for the visual. As for who controls the box - always the pilot in my company and as for switching, we do the L R L R L thing all day, especially in the rocks due to the bounce.

SL

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”