the road trip........

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Of the options below, what is the best time for a road trip:

Beginning of March
50%
Mid-March
10%
Late March
20%
Early April
13%
Other
8%

Total votes: 40

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

the road trip........

Post by Northern Skies »

Hello,

I'm taking my week's vacation this year to go all over Northwestern Ontario and knock on doors, and I'm not sure as to the best time to go. I'll just let this pick for me.

I understand that the earlier the better, but my concern is whether any operations are not attended in the winter (do they?). I would not want to show up somewhere and only be able to leave a note.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

zero
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by zero »

Depends what you're looking for. A lot of float ops are usually closed until April sometime.

Giver eh!
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Giver eh! »

well this poll is descisive

water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

you need that perfect combination of luck and good timing..unfortunately, no one knows what that combination is...
every operator is diferent...

PA31 Driver
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by PA31 Driver »

just get up one morning and GO !

jimdandy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jimdandy »

Zero has a point. Until there is atleast a little thaw, there may not be anyone around to accept you. I did a trip to NWO one year. Saw tones of operators signs around, but the driveway wasn't plowed, and there were no tracks down them either. So, kinda waste of time. Best bet is to call every operator u want to see, and ask them when they will be around the lodge/camp/post, and try to catch them. Pilot Career Center lists alot of them, and the Wings Mag should have the bush operator lineup comming out soon aswell. Faxing a resume in Feb, with phone calls and then a follow up in person around late March early April is the way to go. If you have the $$$$ and the time, just go spend sometime livein/hanging out in these secluded places and make your face and name knowen to all. Drinking at the local pub in a small float town u will surley run into some operators/workers. Maybe even able to find out where to contact the operators. On one trip to Northern Manitoba I was having lunch in Pine Dock, on the dock. This older gent came by on a quad, got to talking with him, and he was the Uncle of the Folks that run Wam Air on Mathison Island, further north of Pine Dock. Told me where they lived, their names, and that he sent me. Unfortuently everytime I made the trek 300plus kms to see them they were not around or I just missed them. but it was a better lead than a kick in the ass. I should have called or brought a tent and waited longer. Also be carful when going far north into Native land. I have heard some real horror stories for white folk up there. Everything from torching their cars, beatings, and even death.Heed the warning its no joke. I am sure there are members on this site that can tell u some crazy stories of the north dealing with the Natives.

Catch & Release, Catch & Release
JD
no turns
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by no turns »

dont waste your time, pick an aviation rich community you can tolerate and move there. you WILL eventually get hired.

Northern Skies
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Northern Skies »

Thanks for the info everyone.....

It looks like the road trip thing is not going to happen this year..... I just don't have the money to be able to live out of a truck for a month this year, although I wouldn't mind doing it at all.

I have a good lead though, and have decided to concentrate my efforts into it.

Cheers!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”