Float Flying Refresher

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

beetnuts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Float Flying Refresher

Post by beetnuts »

Got to teach a refresher to a bunch of private float drivers. Any topics you would like to see your fellow pilots brushed up on? Got a few in mind, but cob webs from the winter clogging up the thought process. Any tips will be appreciated.

Beenuts
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Are you working for a school or on your own?

Cat

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Beetnuts, I also do a refresher every spring for the Float Pilots at the Dryden Flying Club. We usually get the Regional Safety Officer to come down and be part of it as well. They have some nice Videos that you can borrow if they are not available.

We usually start things off with them giving a talk from their perspective and showing a few videos, then we have a few of the Commercial guys from the Club assigned to address various topics. We normally review Glassy Water, Rough Water Handling Techniques, Weight and Balance, Club Policies and Procedures, Proper Radio Procedures in Contolled and Uncontrolled Airspace, Proper Engine Handling and review the Checklist etc. That sort of stuff jsut to get their heads thinking water and floats again!

We keep it very informal with lots of stories thrown in and then end it with a BBQ and lots of Beer. It normally takes an afternoon or an evening depending on what dates are best for the membership. We have had great feed back from the members and we now make in an annual event usually around late April or early May before the ice goes out.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Do you let Driving Rain appear?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Nah!! we never let him attend .. As you know he is way to old to be trying to teach him this stuff anyway!!

beetnuts
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by beetnuts »

Thanks for the tips CL, they will come in handy.

Beetnuts

klimman123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by klimman123 »

CLguy

Any chance getting more info on the float redfresher your doing in Dryden. I'll be in the area end of April and would like to join in. May aswell do something useful while waiting for the ice to move out.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

klimman123, sorry I haven't answered you sooner. I was at a meeting last Wednesday and no firms dates as of yet have been set. Apparently the RASO has been has been talked to and he is available in early May so I will post here when I hear comfirmed date.

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Sorry guys, but I was out of town for the first part of May and apparently the Float Refresher Course at the Dryden Flying Club was held in conjuction with their monthly meeting on May 5th. I didn't even know about it so I apologize to all who were waiting for me to post the date. Hopefully you can make it next year!!

Have a safe summer!!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”