Amphibs

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Amphibs

Post by Bushav8er »

Anyone with experience on them, how are they on grass or gravel strips?
---------- ADS -----------

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Amphibs

Post by Cat Driver »

Super Cub or CL415?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
SuperDave
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SuperDave »

If you're talking about airplanes equipped with amphibious floats, I'd have to say that my experience with them has led me to believe that they work just fine off gravel, and well-maintained grass strips, although you will notice some loss in performance. Unless there was a strong crosswind, I did all wheel take-offs on amphibs using the 'soft field' technique, regardless of whether it was pavement, gravel, or grass...but it was mostly gravel. This technique gets those little shopping-cart wheels out of the rough stuff and eliminates that drag fairly early. (It's surprising how much the nose wheels can slow you down)...and also aids in not over-rotating, which can be easy to do as the wind pushes against the bottom of the float on rotation.

All in all it'll be fine as long as common sense prevails. Don't land in a farmers field with 3 foot high grass, or on soft, sandy esker.

Dave

Maintain thy airspeed least the ground come up and smite thee!
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Gear up or gear down?? :D

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

What SuperDave said! I did a season on amphibs in Pickle Lake, flying onto gravel many times. I didn't really notice any performance difference off gravel, but that was because, generally we were empty when doing so.. As long as you remember what position the gear is in at all times, then it's all good.

ETA: DHC-3T on Wips. (10,000's?)

Last edited by North Shore on Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

As above with addition that I find it to be very stable in cross-winds once you get all four wheels planted. I find it doggy (180) off paved runways, likely becuase of load being max. gross pretty much everytime. Anytime I have been on grass or gravel I have been light. I also land on the mains with nose high attitude and try to keep the front wheels from touching until i'm as slow as I can be. Take off, I try to get them off or light as soon as possible even on pavement. I'm not sure how much the front gear can actually withstand. Doesn't look very heavy duty. So far this method has worked for me.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Lots of experienced aviators here but a little more info on type of amphib would make it easier.Is it a hulled amphib such as Lake,or similar design;edo 2790's or 3500;wipline;pk.Type of aircraft they're installed on(if not a hull).Altitude of planned strip,soft grass,gravel,dirt - or harder surfaces.

Daryl

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Thanks guys. That's about what I thought. Just wondered about the mains and possible rocks thrown into the floats and the nose gear; question answered. BTW - its a TU 206 II.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

What type of amphib. floats does it have?

The newer whiplines have better shock absorbing on the main wheels than the old oil/ air oleo's but I wouldn't operate it off any rough surface because the shocks of any uneven surface can be transmitted into the attach points of the fuselage.

And for sure the nose gear is not meant for rough surfaces.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Good points Cat and also things I've considered. Actually I have only seen the particular aircraft for about 5 mins - I still have to go through everything.

I'm pretty sure we'll be sticking to pavement and water, I was just curious.

Thanks all.

Janszoon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Janszoon »

Flown a DHC-2T on amphibs off gravel strips and the only problem I had was the nosewheels. Their small size didn't instill a lot of confidence in their ability to take any unnecessary abuse, so I'd have to hold them off the strip as long as possible.

One other problem I had with them was the shimmy dampening friction devices on the nosewheels that created a large shimmy on landing every now and then, despite best efforts to keep the nosewheels off the strip for as long as possible. I'd have to double-check during the walkaround that those friction devices weren't too loose. Hope that helps.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Hey bushy,

Super Dave and North Shore said pretty much what I was going to. In the T206 on whippies you'll be fine on gravel strips or grass strips that are being used by aeroplanes WITHOUT bush wheels (Like stock Cessna nosewheelers I mean). If you're planning on landing on gravel river beds or eskers, well the wheels will only sink in until the floats hit! You might have trouble flying away again. I wouldn't be worried about rocks from a gravel strip banging up the float bottoms, the wheels might . a bit of gravel up but not hard enough to damage the float.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Thanks for the input guys, appreciated.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”