At what temperature

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

At what temperature

Post by sheephunter »

Just curious as to what temperature you need to put the "winter kit" on a 180? Or how low of a temp. would you fly without and what's the high temp you can fly with it on? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: At what temperature

Post by beaverbob »

Just watch the Cylander head temps. When thay stay in the lower third or less, put on the covers. Remember in Western Canada we fly in an inversion a lot of the time.
Bob

sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

POH on the 185 used to have a bit on the winter kit with a temp above which you were supposed to remove it for operations. I beleive about -7C, but I cann't find the box that the manual is in.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I found that the Cessna kit prevents too much air flow. I always used a smaller version that only covered the cylander barrels and nothing over the heads.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I have the winter kit in my hand & the decals say "winterization kit must be removed when outside temperature is above 20f ".I've flown my 185(io520D) as low as -38c without the winterization kit,I had put it on for the flight,but the cylinder temps were close to maximum as I ran into a temperature inversion aloft so I landerd & removed it.I kept an eye on both cylinder temps & oil temp & found it to be around 300f in cruise & oil at about 160f which is a bit cool but after the 2 hour flight nothing eventful popped up.

Daryl

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

BGH, thanks. That's the info I was basically looking for. So if I wait for the day to warm up to 20F and preheating, then with sufficient warm up I should be good to go without the "winter kit". And of course being carefull on cooling too quickly. I don't have the kit and am getting axious to fly as the days are getting longer and a bit warmer. Only -10C tonight.

lost in the north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lost in the north »

I run my 185 to -35 with no winterfronts,I do tape the oil cooler.

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

In December I flew up to Anahim Lake(caj4) for the weekend & the temps outside never got above -24c so I just kept the cowl flaps closed all the time & kept an eye on the engine & oil temps.I was also careful not to make any long descents without power so i could keep everything reasonably warm in the engine compartment.Keeping the pilot warm was a different story as the heater didn't put out enough heat to melt the ice off the inside of the passenger half of the windshield.I didn't use the winter kit & I didn't partially cover the oil cooler with duct tape as I have seem many do & everything went well.Preheat oil until it drips off the dipstick onit's own & have cylinders warm enough that you can pull the prop through easy enough to start & you should be fine.Hope this picture isn't to big for the forum.I should add that I've flown on cap3000d's @ -27c but the water rudder cables kept icing up & you had to watch the tail carefully as the spray froze onto everything it touched.

Daryl

Attachments
PC060271.JPG
PC060271.JPG (611.6 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Idriveplane
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Idriveplane »

Most of the winter we run only one cover over the oil cooler on the buck 85. When It's really fa"ken cold (-30) I'll throw the other one on. If you run on skis, just watch out during prolonged taxing in powder it'll heat up in no time with those fronts on, and even with em off when warmer out.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

Like I said earlier, the Cessna fronts reduce air flow too much. They cover the whole cowling inlet with only a round whole for air flow. Cut them in 1/2 or make new ones 1/2 the size and then less chance of over heating. Also the cabin heat is reduced in effectiveness with covers on.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated.

nofate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nofate »

When I had my 170B on skis I would apply and remove duct tape to the cowl opening depending on the temperature. In winter, no matter what plane, you have to be extra careful about shock cooling.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”