Wanting to get into bushflying

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

yedaki76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Wanting to get into bushflying

Post by yedaki76 »

Hi everyone,

I am sure you have heard questions like this one over and over but I still need some practical advice and an estimation based on your experiences.

I will migrate to Canada in about 4 weeks time and I have a permanent residency (work permit included). My dream has always been to get into bushflying and I have no experience in flying so far (only hang gliding for recreational pruposes). I have saved sufficient funds to finance the training (CPL, including Multi IFR and/or instructor if needed) as well as to sustain myself for about 2 years after the training. I have spent the last 3,5 years working in the African bush and am used to live in basic conditions. Needless to say that I am fully committed to do what it takes in order to get the experience.
Please tell me if there are chances to get into the industry given these facts.

My prechoice of flight school is Victoria Flying Club (based on Vancouver Island), which has been recommended to me by a friend. If anyone has done schooling there please to comment whether the training has been good and also wether they have been helpful in getting you into the industry afterwards.

Thanks a lot for your comments and thoughts,
Philipp.
---------- ADS -----------

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Wanting to get into bushflying

Post by looproll »

If you can legally work in Canada, you can get a flying job. It's just difficult to find that first job. Make friends, establish contacts! Is "bush flying" your only goal? There are many Northern operators that fly in the 'bush', but starting pay is often very low. You mentioned an instructor rating. Very good idea if you have the aptitude and money for it. It's a great way to build some experience and stay current with the rules. I see guys getting the bare commercial multi-IFR and waiting years to fly, while others with instructor ratings are flying right away and eventually moving on to bigger and better things because of it. They are building the hours required to get that first bush job, while the other guy without the rating is still working the ramp, not building any.

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

I agree with Looproll, it will be getting your first job that's tough. I disagree, however, with getting an instructor rating. Tailor your training to what you want to do when you're done. Instructing pays just as little as entry level bush jobs, and there aren't too many directly transferable skills gained.
What kind of bush flying are you hoping to do? There are varying degrees. Do you want to fly floatplanes in and out of rock-infested hell-holes? A 206 on wheels into some backwoods dirt strip? A Twin Otter onto the tundra of the high arctic? A Navajo from reserve to reserve? Hell, some guys consider flying King Air's and 1900's bush flying just because they go into gravel runways. Again, think and research what vein of bush flying you want to start in and ultimately end up in, and tailor your training as such.
I would also do a little more research into flight schools as opposed to just taking a friend's recommendation. I'm not saying anything with regards to the Victoria Club because I know nothing of them, I'm just saying that perhaps there is a school out there that could offer you training more suited to the type of flying you want to do. In my limited experience with flight schools, it seems to me all the instructors assume that every student wants to get onto a big fancy jet ASAP, and weight their training heavily towards two-crew IFR flying. (I think it's called "projecting"....the instructor wants to go that route, and so, assumes the student does too.) But if you want to fly in the bush, hands and feet skills will be much more of an asset to you than the ability to shoot an NDB approach. I would recommend finding a school where you could do your training on a taildragger. I think your aircraft handling ability will be far above what it would be if you trained on a 150 or 172 or other tricycle gear aircraft. Do at least your entire PPL on a taildragger. If you decide that you want to fly floats, get a float rating and fly as much of the time towards your CPL on floats as you can afford. This will give you a great mix of experience, far more than the average 200 hour wonder, and it should also get your resume noticed a little more when the time comes. I would also add that getting a multi rating during your CPL training might not be a bad idea. It never lapses and it's good to have in the back pocket.
To sum up, if I was in your position, I'd be looking for a school (or schools--you don't have to do all your training at the same place) with a taildragger to do your PPL. Then work towards your CPL with as much float time as you can afford (unless you don't want to fly floats, in which case, stick with the taildragger), throw in a multi rating and then get job hunting.

yedaki76
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yedaki76 »

Hi Looproll and Slats,

Thanks for your valuable comments. I will definitely go back and do more research on flight schools... floats are what I am actually looking for (despite rock infested hell holes I am convinced that it is great fun and also gives you the possibility to fly to beautiful and remote places not many people get the chance to visit. Thanks also for the hint with the tail dragger (guess that schools who offer those for schooling must be somewhat down to earth). The whether-or-not-to-do an instructor rating (and the multi IFR) I can probably leave open until the time comes closer to look for that first job.

I will have a look to find some "hand-on" bush flying schools as I am definitely not aiming at a commercial "jet airline" career (otherwise I would probably go to Florida ;-). If you have made any good experiences in this regard and can name some flight schools you would recommend to me, I would be grateful for that. If anyone of you guys is living in the Vancouver area it would be nice to meet and discuss some of these issues once I am there (my email-address is yedaki76@gmail.com).

So thanks once more for your help, really appreciated!
Greetings from Cologne,
Philipp.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Just my 2 cents worth.
I have been in and out of bush flying for over 20 years. I am a "northerner" in the true sense. However it is a tough environment. Insects, remote locations, bad operators. As most people in the biz know, central Canada, Sask and Northern Ontario, is the biggest concentration of bush operators.
I would try to get your flight training in an area where you could get your licenses and see up close, the real environment. For some, bush flying is the beginning, for others, it's the end. High time float pilots make the same or more than most small twin captains and you get 6 months off.

Living on the other side of the world, I hope you have not watched too many romantic movies about the great Canadian wilderness.

Come on over,but make sure your eyes are wide open. The old saying the grass is greener on the other side is a true saying.

The most important piece of advise I could give would be to thoroughly research what it is you want to do and concentrate your training in that area. For instance the only twin float planes are otters and Beach 18's. They are flown by guys with high times, normally, so a multi-IFR is not critical at the start. After each season, you'll have time to get these ratings.
Good luck :D

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
HotShots21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HotShots21 »

Lost Lake's right!! You'll have PLENTY of time!! Hell! cant wait for next season to start, my ass is feeling itchy of staying on the ground :rolleyes: And that advice about taildragger airplanes was right. Plus it's way much fun than tricycle gear.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Sadly for you, the West Coast is a pretty agreeable part of Canada to live in. THe weather is reasonable year-round and there are few mosquitos/blackflies etc... to make your days miserable. Moving here to do your training, and then moving away to get that first job could be difficult. Why not start out getting training in a place more like where you will be working, and then assess your options? HArv's Air in Steinbach, Manitoba, has a couple of taildraggers, and they could point you in the direction of a float rating or a place that could enable you to do your CPL build-up on floats.
That being said, I'm a product of the Victoria Club, and my career has been pretty much bush flying all the way - which was what I wanted...
I'd also keep a close eye on costs, if you are going to go the floatplane route, as an extra $50./hr will add up pretty significantly over 50 hours...

Good luck!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

If you can you might want to look into getting set up in the US vs Canada. Moving to Alaska and doing all your training (maybe in a PA-18 on floats?) will be less expensive and you will get far more experience then in ON or BC.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

The downside of that plan is that if he really wants to be a "bush pilot" he may be stuck in Alaska for life.. not that that's a bad thing, I guess, Alaska is beautiful. I don't think there are many opportunities for bush flying in the main part of the states, and American pilots have a difficult time getting hired in Canada. I just woke up though, so I may be wrong.

Don't listen to North Shore, though, whatever he tries to tell you, I never thought I would use the terms "gentrification" and "bush flying" in the same sentence until I met up with that guy...*

*just kidding. North Shore has good advice.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

That's Mr. Shore to you, Servo! :lol:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”