Maule vs C180 on floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Maule vs C180 on floats

Post by skybaron »

Just wondering if anyone out there has driven BOTH machines, and what their preference would be?

Both aircraft seem to be about par, but does one have the edge over the other for straight float ops?
---------- ADS -----------

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Maule vs C180 on floats

Post by HS-748 2A »

The 540 powered Maul has more than an edge performance wise but it is a hokey piece of crap with regard to its construction. Not the entire airframe but the little brackets, bell cranks and knick-knacks.
Fabric adds to the maintenance and is a consideration over time, knowing that one day, it's going to need recovering.
Tech support for the Maul is lousy too. It seems like they just can't get their act together at the factory to even build parts.

The Lycoming 540 is a better engine than the O-470, which is a bit of a boat anchor.

However, if we were comparing Continental O-360 powered Maul VS O-470 powered 180, I'd take the Buck Eighty every time.

With regards only to out-of-the-lake performance, the 540 Maul in many ways really is a Super Cub on 'roids.

Otherwise, depends what you're doing. Do you like fast cruise and low airframe maintenance? - The 180 is a better choice in those regards.

Oh - and they're better looking, for whatever that counts.

'48

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Can't comment on the Maule on floats but on wheels it is pretty impressive but is a handfull on the ground with crosswinds that a PA-18 or C180 on wheels would handle more casually. And the big back doors are a dream. Since I have never had one on floats but flown both on wheels I think in that configuration, everything being equal in TTAF /SMOH and price, it would be a hard choice and I'm not sure what the factors to consider would be but would most likely fly the 180 away or cub depending on the job. I was once at a camp with a relatively short / soft strip that we were using a M7 maule, 180hp cub and a 182 and all had there place and time pretty much equally.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

+1 for SheepHunter there, the big doors on the Maule are certainly a plus, in all conditions.

My experience with the Maule is only from the maint end.

With the 180, I have a little of both, flying and wrenching.

They're a beautiful airplane to fly.

'48

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Great responses - thanks for taking time to give your points of view.

I've only flown the buck-eighty out of the two, but sometimes wondered how the Maule compared. Sounds like the 180 has the edge.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

Maule on wheels ... is a handfull on the ground with crosswinds
Yeah, it is. That huge vertical fin makes it want to weathervane. Full aileron over into the crosswind during the rollout to produce maximum adverse yaw on the downwind aileron is absolutely essential.

Remember that some of the more recent Maules were delivered with 260hp Lyc 540's. With vortex generators and 260 hp I might choose it over the 230hp C180 which I admittedly have only flown on amphib floats, but I thought was something of a dog on the water. I am sure straight floats would have performed better.

However I would choose a (300hp) C185 (esp with wing mods) over the Maule - unless it had the 420hp allison, which admittedly is something of a one-trick pony :wink:

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Definitely not going to argue anything to do with flying or technique with Hedley, heck, I've never been upside down on purpose or by accident but I have had the Maule solid on the ground on two different occasions that I absolutely couldn't keep it going where I wanted to. Both times I left that scene and landed elsewhere. The one time I had the outer rim completely packed with mud from the adverse yaw in trying to keep it straight. Neither times would I have hesitated (I didn't) but know I could have completed the landing in either the cub or the 180. I am learning either the planes limitations or mine or the combination of the two. Yes, on my amphib floats 180 with wing-x, stol and vg's is a dog especially when you add a hot summer day to the equation... on wheels it isn't and that's what I can compare apples to apples. The 260 hp maule and my 230 hp 180 or the 180 hp cub. The Maule is like driving a sports car, but that's not exactly what I need all the time. I think they are all job specific and if you don't have a specific job they are all great. Sure would be nice to have the luxury of 5 or 6 planes in the stable. And I would like to try a maule on floats compared to a C180 with the 260hp. Oh, and I really do like the 540 compared to the 470 or 520 Maybe because I've been lucky with a couple being very good and no other reason. But the C185 with the IO-550 is sweet with wing-x, vg's and robertson. hmmm 420 allison

nofate
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nofate »

My neighbour had a Maule (235 hp Lyc.) on Fiber Floats several years ago. I don't remember the model. It performed well, but I found it a bit cramped and awkward to enter and exit. He complained mostly about the seats and the floats leaking around the unconventional rudder system. Crosswind landings aren't as much of a concern on floatplanes because you can usually line up into the wind on most lakes.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I have had the Maule solid on the ground on two different occasions that I absolutely couldn't keep it going where I wanted to
yes, the Maule can be a handful on the ground! It is surely not the easiest tailwheel aircraft to land, but it makes a marvellous tailwheel trainer for the Pitts exactly because it is not docile.

FWIW I sent my kid solo in a Maule at age 14 and he seems to handle any crosswind just fine with our single paved runway here, so I'm not convinced it's an airframe limitation.

Most people can't be bothered, but if they let me teach them how to land the Maule and then the Pitts, generally they don't have much trouble landing any other tailwheel aircraft (eg WWII stuff) despite whatever fire-breathing dragon reputation they might have.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Hedley, there's nothing more than I would enjoy than a few hours of your instruction. One of these days I will make time to do that. Also, I don't really care what others may say or think but I don't think the age has as much to do as the instruction although everyone learns at different speeds regardless of age and learning correctly from the beginning before bad habits set in makes the learning process easier and quicker. Unfortunately, I have been on floats pretty solid now for two years and am getting spoiled as far as landings go. Up until then it was all wheels and for the most part all off strip, mountain work which doesn't really mean anything other than the strip were short, narrow, high altitude but for the most part non-existant. I do miss the enjoyment of wheels.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”