Float Flying in Australia/South Pacific?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Float Flying in Australia/South Pacific?

Post by skybaron »

Curious on what it's like to be flying out there.

Any info on licensing conversion, pay, work atmosphere, or even weather?
Companies to avoid or hassle??
---------- ADS -----------

bmc
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Float Flying in Australia/South Pacific?

Post by bmc »

bmc
Wildernesspilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wildernesspilot »

I fly for an operator in Aus, DHC2 open rough water conditions ( challenging ), pay is pretty good for GA. What is your situation where are you etc.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

Adding floats to that aircraft would be something along the lines of deciding to buy a trike-bike instead of a motorcycle. You lose maneuverability and speed, AND it looks ridiculous. Horrible idea. I could only imagine what their maintenance costs must be on trying to keep corrosion at bay.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

skybaron wrote:Adding floats to that aircraft would be something along the lines of deciding to buy a trike-bike instead of a motorcycle. You lose maneuverability and speed, AND it looks ridiculous. Horrible idea. I could only imagine what their maintenance costs must be on trying to keep corrosion at bay.
Last time I checked, all floatplanes lose speed and maneuverability, and most lose the "clean" look they had on wheels, so your comment doesn't make much sense.
I don't see why maintenance would be more than a comparable aircraft.

I like it, looks like fun to me, but I like nostalgic things, and since all floatplanes used to be biplanes, this one works for me :)

We're all here, because we're not all there.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

mag check wrote:.
Really.

I suppose that hauling the aircraft out of the water and putting it back in comes free of charge (not to mention fuel, maintenance, and purchase of beaching gear or dolly).

Filling up the compartments with water to do a 24 hr leak test doesn't consume any shop time either. :roll:

And the floats are super easy to seal back up if you have a leaky compartment. Some of these jobs are measured in days and weeks instead of hours....

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

I think you misinturpreted my post I fly for pie.

I work on and fly floatplanes and amphibs almost exclusivly, so I well understand the extra work for a seaplane. What I meant was there would be no more work on the sea cat than a comparable floatplane, ie. Beaver, sr9, etc, which is why I didn't agree with the post.

ps, there is a much easier way to test the floats than filling them with water for 24 hours, it's pretty tough to get a summers worth of flying in if the plane is down for 24 hours everytime you suspect a leak. :wink:

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Yes, but I've seen that method cause more problems than it solved if you aren't careful... :wink:

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

Not sure what method that would be, my method is totally safe, easy, and can even be done with the aircraft still in the water.

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

mag check wrote:[Last time I checked, all floatplanes lose speed and maneuverability, and most lose the "clean" look they had on wheels, so your comment doesn't make much sense.

I like it, looks like fun to me, but I like nostalgic things, and since all floatplanes used to be biplanes, this one works for me :)
A tad anal-retentive don't ya think? You must a dream to work with.

I was just trying to point out that the aircraft in the link would probably be better justified on wheels, where it could possibly perform some basic aerobatic maneuvres and all that other stuff that compliments an aircraft of its design.
mag check wrote:I think you misinturpreted my post I fly for pie.

I work on and fly floatplanes and amphibs almost exclusivly, so I well understand the extra work for a seaplane. What I meant was there would be no more work on the sea cat than a comparable floatplane, ie. Beaver, sr9, etc, which is why I didn't agree with the post.

ps, there is a much easier way to test the floats than filling them with water for 24 hours, it's pretty tough to get a summers worth of flying in if the plane is down for 24 hours everytime you suspect a leak. :wink:
:prayer: - biography in the works..

Wildernesspilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wildernesspilot »

Most seaplanes in Oz work in warm salt water environment but guess what, people clean them everyday and take measures to limit corrosion. The Beavers I fly I think are the only float planes in Oz that live in the salt water and only come out for cyclones and 100hr inspections, they get washed everyday with fresh water and looked after.

That agcat I think is a great concept for the pax, a very different experience and seems to work for them. There is a cost involved in removing aircraft from the water every night but it has been the practice here for years so is not an issue.

mag check
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by mag check »

Skybaron, you said:
it looks ridiculous. Horrible idea.
And I said:
I like it, looks like fun to me, but I like nostalgic things, and since all floatplanes used to be biplanes, this one works for me
I don't get it, you start a thread asking about seaplane employment in Oz, yet you don't see the beauty in a unique business idea, with a cool(and probably very fun to fly) aircraft, then you insult the only company offered as a possible place to check for employment.
You even go the extra step by insulting my work, and character.
Good luck with your job search, I'm sure with your attitude towards others, you shouldn't have a problem finding work :roll:

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

mag check wrote:Skybaron, you said:
it looks ridiculous. Horrible idea.
And I said:
I like it, looks like fun to me, but I like nostalgic things, and since all floatplanes used to be biplanes, this one works for me
I don't get it, you start a thread asking about seaplane employment in Oz, yet you don't see the beauty in a unique business idea, with a cool(and probably very fun to fly) aircraft, then you insult the only company offered as a possible place to check for employment.
You even go the extra step by insulting my work, and character.
Good luck with your job search, I'm sure with your attitude towards others, you shouldn't have a problem finding work :roll:
Welcome to the Wiser's Club.
:smt038

Good for you mag. Not only condescending, but also - sensitive. Right on.

picton08
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by picton08 »

Try turtle airways in Fiji,but dont try too hard ,owner has leprosy.South pacific seaplanes in Fiji would be a better choice and the owner is normal :lol:

Just One
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Just One »

It's just getting harder to get those overseas jobs...

Here's the Australian view!

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/keep-t ... 1533759244

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

lol too funny. They do have a point about the handles on them stupid maple syrup bottles.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bulawrench »

Turtle airway's owner has Cancer not leprocy. The other operator is just a cowboy.
Not to mention the country is in a military coup. It is the Fijian people that are like no other.
If one was to go there you would fall in love with them..."on Fiji time"

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

Bulawrench wrote:Turtle airway's owner has Cancer not leprocy. The other operator is just a cowboy.
Not to mention the country is in a military coup. It is the Fijian people that are like no other.
If one was to go there you would fall in love with them..."on Fiji time"
So Pacific Island Seaplane is still run by DR? A cowboy is one way to describe him. Pay is fair, accomodations are VERY good, owner is a complete knob. Fiji is amazing though and you`d enjoy your time there. As was pointed out by Bulawrench, they are still under a military coup and be ready to "show your papers" every 4-5 miles you drive. If you can cope with that, and the fact that they cane kids in school over there, you`ll love it. PS.. Dont take a blond wife or GF with you.. they REALLY like blondes in Fiji!! Its a GREAT place for a single guy looking for some adventure. BULA 8)

12 yrs ago, I got a gig in Oz with Sydney Harbour Seaplanes.. was the time of my life! last I heard, RB has shut that op down?.. They may be an option for you if they are still operating under a different AOC?. Good luck to you in your search.
Fly safe all.

flyinthebug
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flyinthebug »

skybaron wrote:Adding floats to that aircraft would be something along the lines of deciding to buy a trike-bike instead of a motorcycle. You lose maneuverability and speed, AND it looks ridiculous. Horrible idea. I could only imagine what their maintenance costs must be on trying to keep corrosion at bay.
Not at all an issue. Harbour Air, Baxter Aviation (now Westcoast), VIA, Pacific Coastal, etc etc have been operating in salt water for decades. After a day in the salt, they are hosed down with fresh water and corrosion is monitored and dealt with before it becomes an issue. Why would you ask about a float job..and then slag the idea of floats in salt water?? Sounds kinda backwards my friend...but I wish you good luck with your future endeavours. :roll:

skybaron
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by skybaron »

flyinthebug wrote:Why would you ask about a float job..and then slag the idea of floats in salt water?? Sounds kinda backwards my friend...but I wish you good luck with your future endeavours. :roll:
:smt011 -> Geeze - My "slag" comments were about the red baron aircraft on floats - NOT, about the more common floatplanes such as a DHC2, DHC3T ,or, floats in general, which operate in salt water environments.
READ THE COMMENT!
The Red Baron for one only sits two people - lots of bucks lost there, and, it looks fabric covered, which I imagine takes more care than anything else for ops on salt water. Besides when was the last time you've seen a fabric covered, biplane aircraft docked at the river with a HA, WCA or Seair logo on her?

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”