Jobs - Best Bush flying outside of Canada / Botswana, Africa

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jobs - Best Bush flying outside of Canada / Botswana, Africa

Post by Nahanni »

Guys / Gals (and yes they are hiring women now),

I fly for Sefofane Air Charters in maun, Botswana and consider my job the dream job in bush flying. Dirt strips, 10+ t/0 & ldgs a day, wet season, dry season, c206 & c208, max out your 100 hours a month, even your 1000 a year, become magic in some of the most difficult conditions known to bush pilots from muddy strips, flooded shortened strips, 45+degrees, to electrical storms like you've never seen. Mix that with 60 + pilots who know how to have a propert bender and you're missing out!

Just wanted to tip off my fellow Canadians to get over here and join me. Do your own research but here's the basics:

1. http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/ ... eason.html
2. http://www.nbtvtoday.com/nbers-abroad/botswana-bound
3. Facebook Group 'Maun Pilots'
4 This one gave me a boner and made me come here! Youtube : the sefofane life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=682bnpq75bM

THE OPERATORS
Sefofane: Caravan/ 206/172/Airvan (http://www.sefofane.com)
Moremi Air: Caravan/Islander/210/206/172 (http://www.moremiair.com)
Kavango Air: Caravan/206/172 (http://www.kavangoair.com)
Delta Air: Islander/210/206 (http://www.okavango.bw/air.html)
Mack Air: Caravan/Airvan/210/206 (http://www.mackair.co.bw)
Safari Air: Babyvan/Caravan/Islander/Airvan/206 (not their website but gives details)

HOW TO GET A JOB
Have a CPL and a desire for your first job to be your best ever. Show up and hang out for a month. No body here gets hired off a resume. This rule was fucking written by god or something. You aint going to change that.

Yours in Aviation,

David Radford
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Jobs - Best Bush flying outside of Canada / Botswana, Af

Post by North Shore »

How's it bush flying if they don't have a Beaver, Otter or Twotter? :wink:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Only Canadians think the DHC aircraft are the only 'real' bush planes.

The rest of the world moved on and seems to be doing fine taking aircraft like 206s and Caravans into strips who's equivalents don't even exist in Canada...

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
CGZMT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CGZMT »

Yes, those equivalents do exist in Canada. Talk to some of the Islander pilots out in BC or MB and I am sure they can match if not exceed your idea of bush flying. Between, mining strips, river beds, mountains, beaches, eskers, tundra, grizzlys, polar bears, mountain flying, coastal flying, little bit of everything back here in the big CA!

The more you know the more trouble you can get in!
into the blue
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by into the blue »

Some questions:
- What is the safety culture like in that corner of the world?
- What is the pay like? Does it make the hassle of moving to a foreign third-world country worthwhile?
- What is the license conversion process like?

Thanks in advance.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Foreign nationals need not apply. Atleast that's what I was told... something to do with work visa's and the DCA... Can you confirm this?

TeePeeCreeper (has done his time in the dark continent)

Wildernesspilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Wildernesspilot »

Don't be fooled guys, I'm very happy you are enjoying working for Sefofanny, they are the worst company to work for in the delta. Sefo is always the last resort for pilots trying to get work in Bots they are a funny bunch with bad organisation and piss there pilots around more than the other companies except Okavango Air which is run by a complete tosser.

As for difficult strips, there are none especially at the camps Sefo fly into, they are all about 800m - 1000m in length but do get a little muddy in the wet season, there is one strip which is almost one way only but not really apart from T off. Sefo is the only company to really abide by weight limits and only allows into wind landings which is good. the other company's play lip service to weight and balance and it is down to you to say bugger off I'm not taking anymore!

The real bush part is the work load and shitty weather which can get a little scary when you can see maybe thirty storms over the delta, there is no metservice unless things have changed. It is a great introduction to hands on flying and extreme drinking, again the sefo boys usually stay away from all the other pilots and do there own thing of a night time. When the summer temps reach mid forties the 800m strips get very short when you think you are at max weight or over nearly all the time and the country is at 3000ft elevation! Get good at ground effect flying and can often only get 1500ft agl on a hot day after a long climb.

Pleased I did, pleased I moved on.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Regardless of all the politics and BS (there's no shortage of either in aviation, whether it be in Canada or Africa) it was cool of David to shed some light on how a guy or gal might get their foot in the door in Africa and get that first 1000 hours PIC.

If I had to start from ground zero again, it might not be such a bad way to go. It's either that or go grind away on the ramp up north for God knows how long before going right seat in a clapped out Ho...

Thanks for the info and links David. Interesting websites too.

Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nahanni »

180, thanks for your reply man.

Guys, this is an opportunity for entry level work for the many guys/gals who are out there struggling for work so take it as you wish. I am happy to answer question for those who are interesting in pursuing the job.

- Maintenance is great, the standard 50/100 hr
- The previous Visa permit issue seems to be gone and done away with for now. Sefofane or Sefofanny is Dale likes to call it just hired 4 more pilots today.
- Conversion takes Botswana calling your home country and making certain your license is valid
- Pay is enough to live on and even save for a good trip, more specifically 1200 to 1500 canuck bucks a month

flying free.LEVC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flying free.LEVC »

Good post men :D it looks encouraging, just one question.

Don´t you need at least 500 hours of total time to be hired¿? I read something about some insurance conditions, can somebody be hired with just 200 tt¿??

Good flights pilots :)

pilotcirwin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotcirwin »

I spent a year in West Africa with a company that flew beech 1900s. Pay was lousy but the time was valuable and it was quite entertaining landing a 1900 on short dirt runways. I have to admit though, I have a lot of respect for South African aviation standards. I have experienced how bad maintenance can be else where so I'd only caution others to look carefully before committing to a company in Africa.

Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nahanni »

200 hours will do it.

bushhopper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bushhopper »

sounds nice.

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

I'm from montreal! going to maun, botswana in November. Is it a good time? Is anyone going there at that time? maybe we can meet. I am sooo passionate about flying and wildlife..it would be a dream to work for sefofane. Dave, it would be nice to chat with you a little bit. I'm truly inspired by your story, your blog and your videos about botswana bound. Would you be willing to meet up once i get down there? Let me know, I'll need a hand around town since I'll be new to everything, but I'm ready for the adventure. Thx a lot guys and girls. Safe flying everyone!

Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nahanni »

Yeah dude, I'll be around. Just ask where 'dirty' is, they'll find me.
Come by sefo and I'll give ya the tour and the rundown.

Radford

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

That sounds great man!! I can't wait to get down there and meet you guys and hopefully land a job. I'll make sure to ask for "dirty" haha, wonder how you got that name.. I'll see you in around two months. First round's on me! haha. Keep in touch till then dave. Thx for the reply!

Karim

pilot4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pilot4life »

hey dave,

I got a question for you. I've been checking flights to bots and it's much cheaper to fly to gaborone. Are there any buses or public transport that can get me from gabs to maun and if so how much do they cost? If it's too much of a hassle i'll just fly direct montreal to maun. Thank you, and safe flying
See you soon,

Karim

Nahanni
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Nahanni »

You'll see from my botswana bound videos, I flew into joburg then bused to gabs then bused from gabs to maun. Air bots is the only provider here, they don't have an open sky policy (crazy). Yeah there's buses that run from central station in jbrg to gabs every hour then gabs to maun every day at 6am taking about 8-10 hours, leaving from the 'bus rink' as they call it. Everyone is cool to help ya and the bus only cost about 10-15 bucks.
When you arrive in maun, just grab a taxi for 4 pula (75 cents) or a white mini bus for 3 pula. YOu can always stick out your thumb and people pick ya up asap.

DRad

skydivepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skydivepilot »

I'm in the middle of watching your Botswana Bound videos and tip my hat to you for embarking on that adventure. I've always wanted to get away from our Canadian winters. I noticed you left my Moncton, NB. Are you from there? I lived in Moncton for 10 years and now live in PEI. I fly for Skydive Moncton now and then and have been pursuing another flying job in northern NB. I'll continue to watch your episodes and live through you vicariously.

pilotbc69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotbc69 »

Nice work Radford. Good to see someone helping out his buddies. Heard bots is a good time and the boys there like their drink. Good luck everyone.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”