Chief Pilot Exam/Interview

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

2slowsix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chief Pilot Exam/Interview

Post by 2slowsix »

Hey there everyone. I'm considering applying to a CP position in Manitoba. Just curious here for anyone who has gone through the Chief Pilot induction process(Air Taxi). What kind of questions are asked on the interview? Is there anything that I could do to prepare for it better? What kind of other paperwork do you have to provide to TC? I was thinking of doing an audit on my personal logbook just to make sure all of my T's were dotted and I's were crossed. Would it be worth the time to undertake such a task? Would they even ask for it? Any info anyone would have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D
---------- ADS -----------

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Chief Pilot Exam/Interview

Post by trey kule »

It has been many moons, but if I recall correctly you should know your ops manual inside out.
The interview is such that if you dont follow what you have put in your ops manual, you will not be able to plead ignorance..Or at least that is how I perceived it.

I also seem to recall there was some general knowledge things, but I have never ever had a TC person look at my logbook, and as the requirments for a chief pilot have been reduced I dont think there is much need for them to review it.

someone who has undergone it more recenlty could probably give you a better idea.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

TC has the study guide for OPS Mgr and CP on line. Exam is strictly a memory game.

As long as you qualify for CP requirements, you should only bring your ops manual or any other info they request to interview. After successfully completing the exam, you contact the inspector to set up an interview. Ask them what proof they want to see of your related experience. If you know the ops manual inside out, it should not be a problem. Depending on the region or change in rules (always changing) it could be 1 or 2 inspectors. I have had an informal coffee with 1 inspector and a formal sit down with 2 inspectors (latest interview in NW Ont)

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
darbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darbel »

I had an interview with transport this summer for 703 Chief Pilot. Know your ops manual from front to back and it should be no problem. Also know your operation well. Transport may ask you questions about things that may not be so black and white in your ops manual, but are still a part of your operation. The more questions you get right from the start, the easier and less formal the interview is. Which brings me to my next point, be formal, dress like you are doing an interview for an office job. I was working in the bush at the time I did my interview, so I had to buy some nice threads in Thunder Bay for my interview. If you go into the interview with jeans and a t shirt, the interview may be a lot harder for you.

As far as the written test goes, follow the online car 703 chief pilot study and reference guide. There really isn't much reason to fail. Although I do no some who have. Anyways, good luck, and don't panic, its only transport. They don't bite.

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

I was a chief pilot, ops ,manager and director of maintenance.

The interig er interview is simple and straight forward.
They sit you at a table in a dark room with a bright light aimed in your eyes.
Then you are asked a number of questions, buy 4 large men with foreign accents.

No, Wait, that was transport Canada medical payment collecters,
Sorry :smt040 :smt040
Bob

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Its not a big deal, you don't have to wear a tie, you just have to show up and pass the exam and answer some questions that you are sure to have answers for if you know your ops manual. They will look at your log book, but not too closely unless you just meet the requirements.

For the test use the exam guide and go the CARs and cut and paste the CARs it refers to. This doesn't take long and voila you have all the answers to the questions. The test does not contain any questions not on the exam guide.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Try not to send or receive any text messages during the interview.

The Transport guy will probably ask you a lot of questions about the ops. specs. your particular company has, and also your knowledge of duty time regulations.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

You have to sit for an exam. The exam is not a question and answer exercise requiring memory to obtain the correct answer but rather finding the reference in the CARS and COM. It is open book. You can use a laptop, usually their computer or a supplied paper copy of the CARS and COM. I found the paper copy the quickest. It is more important to be able to flip through the CARS and COM quickly to locate the answer than actually know the answer word for word.
eg; Question; What are the fuel requirementgs for an IFR flight?
Answer; CARS 602:88, CARS 703:20 COM Section xxx.
Then there is usually a one on one with the POI who will ask questions concerning how you and your company plan on running a safe and legal operation.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

oldtimer wrote:You have to sit for an exam. The exam is not a question and answer exercise requiring memory to obtain the correct answer but rather finding the reference in the CARS and COM. It is open book. You can use a laptop, usually their computer or a supplied paper copy of the CARS and COM. I found the paper copy the quickest. It is more important to be able to flip through the CARS and COM quickly to locate the answer than actually know the answer word for word.
eg; Question; What are the fuel requirementgs for an IFR flight?
Answer; CARS 602:88, CARS 703:20 COM Section xxx.
Then there is usually a one on one with the POI who will ask questions concerning how you and your company plan on running a safe and legal operation.
Unless they've changed the CARS without advising anyone, this is not correct. I think old timer is confusing a PRM exam with CP. Simple exam, memory questions.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Not on the last 3 Chief Pilot requirements I took. I had a paper copy of the CARS supplied by TC and a copy of the COM and all they wanted was the CARS and COM reference. Then a one on one with the companies POI.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
tcraft
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by tcraft »

When I did the exam I didn`t have a paper copy or computer for the cars, it was done from memory. Know your ops manual inside out for the interview.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

oldtimer wrote:Not on the last 3 Chief Pilot requirements I took. I had a paper copy of the CARS supplied by TC and a copy of the COM and all they wanted was the CARS and COM reference. Then a one on one with the companies POI.
Must have been a long ime ago. I've been CP/ Ops, 4 times. Last one this year. 703 operation is definetely memory exam. Study guide online.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/p ... 4-1966.htm

donttakeshi*
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by donttakeshi* »

Lost Lake is right. I took mine 2 years ago. The written exam is a memory test on CARS....No books allowed. The interview is a more "open book" type of criteria. You can flip through your ops man to answer questions the poi may have.

floatrfun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floatrfun »

Know your ops manual well and follow the guidelines in CARS for the chief pilot study and reference guide. It's an easy test. Having done the Cheif Pilot, Operations Manager and Maintenance Manager, The Chief Pilot and Ops Manager are very similar and easy. Its the Maintenance Manager that is the tough one. As far as interview goes, a little ass kissing goes along way. If you are dealing with TC, you may as well get used to it. Also, I think they require to hold any position that you have a minimum of two years Aviation experience but I don't think they specify what it needs to be.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I wonder if it is either a regional thingee or the old style exam I did was taking too long. Took me over 3 hours the first time. I did my first cheif pilot exam and ops manager exam in Calgary and the last one in Vancouver. Calgary in about 1998 and Vancouver in about 2003. I think that because it is not a licence thing or upgrade of qualifications, TC has some leeway. Just a thought.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

In 1996 I attended a safety seminar in Red Lake. I approached the TC guys after the meeting and asked them what I needed to become a CP/OPS MGR/PRM.

Their reply was - Well you came to this meeting...Good enough for us. That was it!
Now it's a memory exam for CP/OPs Mgr - Should take 1/2 an hour. Then schedule a meeting. Know your manuals. The longer you've been around, the easier they are on you.
PRM is an open book exam and will take you 2 hours. Lots of people fail. You have to know how to bounce around in the CARS. It's a quasy legal exam. Oral interview is tough too. Again, the more you've been around the more they'll guide you in the questions. This oral exam is also scored.

ATTENTION EMPLOYERS WHO DON'T KNOW: Being a cp or ops mgr is minor work compared to a PRM. For more than 1 plane, this is a time consuming, demanding job. Pay accordingly!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”