Downwind Takeoff and Landings in DHC-2

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

dabeuk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Downwind Takeoff and Landings in DHC-2

Post by dabeuk »

Hi Guys

I know no float plane likes a tail wind.

However one location that our company runs into is a one way T/O LDG area

For you more experienced Beaver drivers, what is acceptable Tail wind for T/O and LDG.

Im thinking the company I work for may have set this too high myself...
---------- ADS -----------

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Downwind Takeoff and Landings in DHC-2

Post by Bushav8er »

Some companies/pilots do downwind take-offs and landings routinely with no problems (and we have the space), unless its a gale (for water read - white caps).

I never really put a 'number' on it and won't - sorry. If you feel the 'published' limit is to high for you, than for you, it is.

Experience is what makes the difference, and its not necessarily more downwind ops but overall general experience and comfort level.

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Bushav8er said it all. I've landed with 20 plus knots tail winds. It's a matter of experience and using your head. Like he says, if you're not comfortable don't do it.

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

What Lost and Bush said (and in bold, too!):

if you're not comfortable don't do it.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

Depends on the situation

- coming out of a protected bay and have to be airborne at a certain point before you are out into the big swell and broadsided by a big crosswind? Might be a little reluctant there.

Long inlet with a steady wind behind - could do a lot more. If you are heavy remember the Beav has a 1 minute takeoff power limit -I've seen 25kts downwind with a full load on a regular basis as the pilot didn't care to taxi....ouch.

When you say THE COMPANY do you mean management or just the other pilots that think its fine?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I've seen the same.. a couple specific guys would take off with big tailwinds just because they didnt want to taxi.. Not sure thats what I'd be doing, even though the airplane may handle it..

Remember.. if you're doing anything outside of the norm. and something goes wrong, regardless of the reasons you give, you'll be the one holding the blame.

aeroyt
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by aeroyt »

When you get in the Airplane you are holding the blame. Fly to your limits.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Make sure you never use full flap on a beaver while going downwind either. That's a good way to kill yourself right there.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

Good Lord!! I'm trying to think of a time I would have needed full flaps in a Beaver landing downwind. Gotta think if your setting up for that one, things are already pretty sketchy.
With thousands of hours on both Beavers and Otters in pretty much every province and territory. I have still only used full flap in training. I have never had to use them because it was operationally required.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

phillyfan wrote:Good Lord!! I'm trying to think of a time I would have needed full flaps in a Beaver landing downwind. Gotta think if your setting up for that one, things are already pretty sketchy.
With thousands of hours on both Beavers and Otters in pretty much every province and territory. I have still only used full flap in training. I have never had to use them because it was operationally required.
LOL I was going to say something like that too but left it. It is a very rare day indeed when full flaps are needed anytime...training excepted. I rarely went beyond climb flap (except on take off).

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

You see the thing is you guys who never use full flaps because you are experienced. You get the job done...safely. No need to impress anybody and challange your own limits.

I have seen so many cases where new , and young beaver drivers come right out of training and then want to do full flap landings virtually all the time....for, as they put it..."shits and giggles". Try and see how short they can put it in..Impresses the passangers..many of them took the time to mention it to management.

Rowdy put it quite well, I thought. Fly outside the norm and , regardless of what the problem was, you are responsible. Wish alot more pilots thought that way.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

My beaver has the flap setting limited to "landing" as max, "full flap" is blocked off, not even an option available to me. My understanding is that this was necessary on the stc for the Baron stol kit having the 5600lb upgross. After a whopping 50hrs on it, haven't needed it yet. :)

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I'll agree with the use of full flaps being unneccesary in all but an emergency or training... Why would you purposely scare the shit out of your pax? Where do you seriously ever need to use it operationally? I know I've only ever used it once, and that was because of a poor choice to fly on a shitty day.

Trey, it was something bashed into my head by my father.. "think about how whatever you're doing is going to look on an accident report.. and thats if you're lucky enough to crawl out of it"

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

I'll add that there is a difference between not needing (under normal situations) full flap and not knowing, or being 'afraid' to use full flap.

To be considered "trained" in my book, I would brief, demonstrate and have the 'student' use full flap under different situations until I was convinced they can handle the A/C. (The briefing included that full flap isn't normally needed)

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

to get off topic a bit.

The challange faced in training a new, and relatively inexperienced, pilot, particularily if they are young and eager, is as you so well put it, to know when to use different configurations and procedures.(You did it much more elequently, I am paraphrasing)

Unfortunately, whenever you have a things like a particular configuration that allows for something out of the ordinary, there will always be pilots who, instead of concentrating and perfecting normal stuff will try testing the envelope..It is a real challange to hire people with a mature and responsable attitude that can be trusted with the company's equipment, reputation, and financial well being...Just so many pilots that dont understand it until after the accident.

As to scaring pax. If your company does a survey (excluding the majors) of their pax, I think you would be surprised how many people dont like flying and do it out of necessity.
On the other hand, If you ask most young pilots I think you would find that they think everyone has a deep and unbridled love for all things aviation, and are just waiting to be impressed by their outstanding skills in taking the plane to the edge of its performance envelope. The two differrent perspectives lead to great number of complaints from passangers.

And as a bit of post script. It is not always the flight crew..I swear that someday I am going to lose it and have to be taken off in handcuffs after hearing just one to many of those cutsy little flight attendent jokes......you know which ariline you are....

Accident speculation:
DHCdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DHCdriver »

Downwind Takeoff and Landings in a beaver? WHY :!:

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

DHCdriver wrote:Downwind Takeoff and Landings in a beaver? WHY :!:

Why not? If your comfortable with the plane, it may be the fastest, safest, or only option. As "professional" pilots paid to make money for the company, one of the biggest problems is getting the customers in and out safely and quickly. Why taxi down wind for 8 minutes if you don't have to. Multiply that by 16 legs. Over 2 hr taxiing.
Remember what I said, "if you're comfortable with the plane".

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
sarg
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by sarg »

DHCdriver wrote:Downwind Takeoff and Landings in a beaver? WHY :!:
So I don't have to take-off at the hill/mountain then turn x-wind/downwind in the lee.

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by HS-748 2A »

trey kule wrote:You see the thing is you guys who never use full flaps because you are experienced. You get the job done...safely. No need to impress anybody and challange your own limits.

I have seen so many cases where new , and young beaver drivers come right out of training and then want to do full flap landings virtually all the time....for, as they put it..."shits and giggles". Try and see how short they can put it in..
Here is a little one of those "Learn from the mistakes of others... "

I knew this accident pilot.

http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 4c0098.asp

'48

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

An interesting read 48. If I may add a comment or two.

1. People continually mention that it is OK to do things if you have the experience. but to get that experience you have to do those things before you have experience. Ergo, you are doing those things that require experience when you dont have any. there is a time a and a place for this. It is called training. Formal training. Not getting experience on revenue flights.
Something that should be empahsized at the end of evey training program and be included in OPS manuals I believe

2. A surprising number of accidents like this happen in the first few weeks of the float season.
There is a lesson to be learned, both from operators and pilots points of view. Get the normal flying under control. dont let pilots try to emulate the senior pilots. Dont let the senior pilots demonstrate their exceptional skilles by showing off...and that is what it is.

3.When I flew in the bush, after a bit someone would do a step taxi. Then another would do it.In a few days planes were screaming up to the dock with engines crackling and popping from being inproperly cooled down. Every year. And every year everyone had to be gathered together and have a little chat about this practice. To this day it bothers me when I read on AvCanada by some how step taxiing is just fine, or that they only use it in exceptional cases...pure BS. anyway, I digress a bit.

4. Lastly, your attachemnt should be printed up by every float operator, with a big red banner on the bottom stating "LEARN FROM THIS", and given to EVERY PILOT (including those experienced ones) at the end of initial or annual training.

Maybe a few will actually understand and learn from it.

5. As to the statement, in bold letters not to do something unless you are comfortable with it, I have been around the business long enough to have seen pilots wreck perfectly good planes and hurt people doing something they should not have done....and they were perfectly comfortable attempting to do it. You should put an adennum stating their are some things you should not try to do even if you are comfortable doing them...self assessment is woefully missing in many pilots, and replaced by an overestimation of their abilities.

Accident speculation:

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”