USA - Eureka: routing and fuel

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: USA - Eureka: routing and fuel

Post by digits_ »

Hello again,

I got the price list from Eureka. I'll walk to the Weather station, camp outside (which is allowed), and bring my own food. So that leaves 280 $ for the takeoff/landing and 20$/day for utilities in the station :)

The routing at the moment is:

CYQA CYKX CYMO CYPO CYYQ CYRT CYYH CYRB CYEU CYGZ CYRB CYUX CYFB CYAS CYMU CYKQ CYUY CYQA

I contacted Aziz for the expensive as hell fuel drums. I'll get in touch with Summit Air.
Kenn Borek air doesn't have/sell/transport AVGAS.

The maintenance problem if something breaks down is still my main concern. Soo far, I haven't found a solution for that.

I'll definately keep you all posted. I'll see if the spot device has a track function, I have no idea. I hope it does, that way you can all come and rescue me if the plane breaks down ;)
Any mechanics on this board ? :D

Regards,
Digits
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

He is a SPOT example of a fellow flying to Alaska http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... W5UOArqQuf it is a GREAT very safe system!!

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

You can talk to Art, when he gets back from the Pole, about buying the fuel he has positioned at YRB and YEU.

I see you have Grise Fiord on your return itinerary. While a magnificent spot, you will want to talk with the pilots at resolute bay regarding the safe wind limits there Just a little bit of wind on approach makes Grise a very dramatic arrival.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

Yes - Grise Fiord can be a challenging airstrip for sure.

Keep in mind that SPOT uses the Globalstar a geo-stationary satellite and therefore might not be useable much past the mainland coast. Works where I am at 67-30N but maybe someone can comment on how far north it's good to.

The Iridium sat-phone uses a constellation of polar orbiting satellites and is good anywhere, right to the pole. DON'T take a Globalstar 'phone - they just don't work reliably (or not at all) when north of the Arctic Circle.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Nunavut-PA12, Good info. I did not realize that spot worked off the Globalstar Sats. As far as Globalstar sat. phones, they are junk and if anyone argues elsewise... please buy mine from me. My old Iridiums work anywhere in the world that I have been so far.

jspitfire
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by jspitfire »

just curious wrote:You can talk to Art, when he gets back from the Pole, about buying the fuel he has positioned at YRB and YEU.
Is that the 'Antarctic Air' Cessna 185? I saw it in Cambridge Bay yesterday, heading south. According to his website he didn't make it past Eureka due weather.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

That would be the one.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

digits_ wrote:I'll walk to the Weather station, camp outside (which is allowed), and bring my own food. So that leaves 280 $ for the takeoff/landing and 20$/day for utilities in the station :)
What is the time frame for your trip again? The snow is not completely gone from Eureka until early July. Nevertheless if you are up there between June - Aug, there will be a sizeable military presence. Like I mentioned before, drop in camp <can't miss it as they are right beside the runway> and say hi to the folks there. If you smile enough they might even have a bunk for you to stay in for the night.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

SAR_YQQ wrote:
digits_ wrote:I'll walk to the Weather station, camp outside (which is allowed), and bring my own food. So that leaves 280 $ for the takeoff/landing and 20$/day for utilities in the station :)
What is the time frame for your trip again? The snow is not completely gone from Eureka until early July. Nevertheless if you are up there between June - Aug, there will be a sizeable military presence. Like I mentioned before, drop in camp <can't miss it as they are right beside the runway> and say hi to the folks there. If you smile enough they might even have a bunk for you to stay in for the night.
I'll be in Eureka sometime between 13th and 25th of july, depending on the weather. I'll put the military camp on my list of things to visit ;) Thanks again!

medEvac
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by medEvac »

a true challenge, WEATHER, fuel, route and maintenance

i know its been said but filter, filter, filter. make sure the drums are sealed, unopened and take a sample. last year in rankin inlet there was a small twin on route to europe that had a double engine failure due to contaminated fuel. m and t in yrt sold a drum of bad fuel and it was use at your own risk. no liability! apperently it was a drum full of the fuel samples from the tanks.

be certain of all your fuel as it was said before the fuel is years old and if the drums arnt full they go bad, they lose their vapors and collect moisture.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

One more question: do any of you know what the most northern location is, where I can get a normally priced faa valid 50h/100h maintenance for a N-registered C172 ? I found some addresses around the US border, but a little bit more north would give me more margin in case of bad weather etc.

Thanks!

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

I imagine Resolute Bay. Kenn Borek should have a mechanic based there during the summer. Whether they'd be willing to do the work - I don't know. Give them a call.

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

There will be a half dozen engineers in Resolute. Whether they have sign-out authority on a US Cessna...
Dunno. I'll ask one tomorrow.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I contacted Resolute Bay (First Air) but they can't do it.

Contacted Kenn Borek air in general, but they don't do maintenance on a C172 either.

Soo far the most northern I found is in CYCN.

Iqualuit was going to call me back, didn't hear anything, so doesn't look good either.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

There are a couple of resident C172's in Iqaluit. I wonder where they get their maintenance done?

Call Bert Rose in Iqaluit (867) 979-6424. He has (had?) a C172. He'll be able to give you the info you need.

Groundloop
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Groundloop »

Ask whoever you're renting the plane from to do a fresh 100hr on it just before you pick it up. With the number of hours your trip is going to take they should be willing to do it. Be careful bout having this done at a different shop than the owners as you might be stuck on the ground for up to a week while their waiting for parts. The only 50 hr inspections will be signing off any visual inspection AD's or changing the oil with an additive that any engineer in Canada should be able to do in under 45 minutes.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Groundloop wrote:Ask whoever you're renting the plane from to do a fresh 100hr on it just before you pick it up. With the number of hours your trip is going to take they should be willing to do it. Be careful bout having this done at a different shop than the owners as you might be stuck on the ground for up to a week while their waiting for parts. The only 50 hr inspections will be signing off any visual inspection AD's or changing the oil with an additive that any engineer in Canada should be able to do in under 45 minutes.
Just got confirmation that's what's going to happen :)

NunavutPA-12, thanks for Bert's number, very big help!

bezerker
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bezerker »

CYIO. Rumored to be out of gas.

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Luckily not me. Waiting for my customs slot to cross the border.

More information soon :)

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Have you set up the spot tracking page?