What do you bring?

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What do you bring?

Post by ybp »

What about a fishing rod, people....or is it just assumed that you always have your fishing rod with you when you fly too :?:

I am an AME and I have a small rod in a case that I keep with me at work. Just in case I have to go on a 'rescue mission' to a good fishing spot!! You never know when you will be delayed getting home because of bad weather....but the fish will still bit!!!
---------- ADS -----------

Nature is a Mother.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

One of he most important tools to have in the bush is a 357 Magnum with a six inch barrel.

And mixed ammo hard nose and bird shot.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

One of he most important tools to have in the bush is a 357 Magnum with a six inch barrel.

And mixed ammo hard nose and bird shot.
Passenger motivator?

(During moose season I got some blood on the strut, door frame and floor. Next flight, passengers only, one asked "Whats that?" I replied, "The last passenger that didn't do as I asked?")

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

If you are addicted to tv like so many others, may I suggest a projector.
I used to bring one up north for watching movies and such, it's very compact, lightweight, and you can get HD projectors for $500 now. The only drawback that deserves consideration is that you need a relatively dark place to use it. Up north that can be tricky in the middle of summer when it never gets dark outside.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

If you are addicted to tv like so many others, may I suggest a projector.
I used to bring one up north for watching movies and such, it's very compact, lightweight, and you can get HD projectors for $500 now. The only drawback that deserves consideration is that you need a relatively dark place to use it. Up north that can be tricky in the middle of summer when it never gets dark outside.
LOL - yup, just the essentials. I wouldn't worry about the light...if you're doing it 'right' you won't finish until dark and be passing out in front of that screen with your first beer and that bright projector light should attract a nice swarm of mosquitoes too.

meflypretty
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by meflypretty »

The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball. ... And that's all I need. The ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, this magazine and the chair. ...and my dog....grrrr. I don't need my dog.

even paranoids have real enemies
INVERTEDAV8R
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by INVERTEDAV8R »

I'm heading to my first bush job this week and I'm bringing:

fisihing rod
guitar
leatherman
good coveralls
boots
rain gear
carton of smokes
hand held GPS
Binoculars
sewing kit
ipod & old laptop

Am I missing anything? Should I leave any of this behind?

Thanks

HotShots21
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HotShots21 »

Dont forget good Underwears, long ones.
I'd say a Costco pack of Nature Valley Crunchy bars!! The ones that are hard to chew.
You put several of them in your backpack, So when you get stuck in bad weather you dont starve!!
And a few books for the same occasion! Unlike Ipods books do not use rechargeable lithium-ion battery that you cant rely on

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

You can't show up at your first northern flying job without beer. Don't they teach anything in flight school these days?

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Work gloves.
Boots, yes, steel toe work boots with good soles.
Ditto on the book(s) and bars - I always carried a 'mini' survival pack when doing charter in NW Ont. I didn't carry one for tourist camp work. It was small but functional; include folding fishing rod or at least hooks, line etc. May want a toothbrush too, a spare lighter packed to stay dry, spare roll of TP, a ball cap (to help keep bugs out).

Pack a small first aid kit of your own, just bandaids, crazy glue and antibiotic cream. I've had fish hooks and tree spikes get me over the years. Sitting at the door slinging bags out a tree spike came through the nylon bag they had them packed in - left an inch long cut 1/2 inch deep - I didn't have a kit at the time and had to wash it with lake water. Point is you NEVER know what people pack in those bags.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Speaking of work gloves... get some Neoprene or Gortex gloves! Nothing shittier then going to work on a cold spring/fall day and freezing your hands off while handling cold wet ropes or pumping floats!!! Pick up some Neoprene gloves from Canadian Tire and you will be laughing!!

Slats
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Slats »

xsbank wrote:A real pilot wears a Buck knife.
A real pilot wears a Ka-Bar.

ilovelamp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ilovelamp »

Bushav8er wrote:Boots, yes, steel toe work boots with good soles.
You wear steel toe boots flying floats? I would be scared to fall in the lake wearing those, also not as quick around the floats when the time calls for it.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

You wear steel toe boots flying floats? I would be scared to fall in the lake wearing those, also not as quick around the floats when the time calls for it.
I've over 5000 hrs floats - from Cubs to T Otters and never had a problem. If you have to move that quick you didn't plan right. Where are you, when on the floats, that makes falling in a concern? Should be at shore or a dock - stand up and walk out man. The little bit of steel in the boots is negligible, its those rubber boots / hip waders that people wear that'll get you. The clothing you wear would be my concern.

gapper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gapper »

When I was into fishing, I took a Zebco33 fishing reel, and a telescopic fishing rod. Those little Zebco's pack away real nice and never give trouble.....Ask your Doc for a bottle of antibiotics(enough said) :shock:

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer
ilovelamp
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ilovelamp »

Bushav8er wrote:
I've over 5000 hrs floats - from Cubs to T Otters and never had a problem. If you have to move that quick you didn't plan right. Where are you, when on the floats, that makes falling in a concern? Should be at shore or a dock - stand up and walk out man. The little bit of steel in the boots is negligible, its those rubber boots / hip waders that people wear that'll get you. The clothing you wear would be my concern.
Fair enough, I just remember being told by a few guys about steel toes. I've never fell off a float yet but I was told its a very real probability. Im not overly experienced in float flying so it was just a curious question. But I'll tell you one place I wouldnt want steel toes and thats on the back of Twin otter Cap floats in big swells in late fall..... Those iced up floats arent fun.

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

I'd get composite toe over steel any day at any price.. Sure it might not matter much over the summer, but steel toes are just painful in the winter. I remember flying along in some little piston that couldn't pump any heat out in -25 or so with those steel toes sucking every last bit of heat out of my feets. Horrible things.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

I'd agree with that square. Just as long as the boots one chooses are 'safety', though I wore winter boots in the winter. My thinking was summer camp work. More apt to be doing work that would require a safety boot; fuel drums, cutting wood, moving boats, motors, propane etc - winter not so much.

Gooch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gooch »

Rolling papers and a mitt fulla hay...

And liquor.

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Rolling papers and a mitt fulla hay...

And liquor.
You don't have to pack Gooch - you're fired.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”