"aerial photography"

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tractor747
Rank 3
Rank 3

"aerial photography"

Post by tractor747 »

From pilot entrepreneurs is aerial photography difficult to achieve, not in it to accumulate flight but to enjoy flying and earning some financial gain. Possibly helping other pilots some flight time while taking pictures.
Any info positive and negative would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

HS-748 2A
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: "aerial photography"

Post by HS-748 2A »

You'd also have to have a good look into the CAR's at the legality and possible requirements for certification
I don't see how you could need an O.C.

You are only selling 'the product' not the flying.

'48

The fastest way to turn money into smoke and noise..
mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

Depending on the altitude you are flying, you might need to get a special flight permit, or whatever it is called. T.C. out in this region was 'cracking down' on low level aerial photography, saying they needed an OC, or a special flight permit, or some sort of 'regulatory exemption' ( i don't remember the exact details of the conversation i was having with an 'aerial photographer'). So in the end "aerial photography" you can do with out a commercial ops, but you might need something special for flying below a certain altitude, over built up areas etc. But i'm not a pilot, and also not an expert. So take my words with the value that they have being on an open internet forum, where you don't know me, and i don't know you.

tractor747
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tractor747 »

So do you need an O.C. to run a small aerial photography business? confusing.

mmartin1872
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mmartin1872 »

"no", you don't need an oc for aerial photography (it says so in the CARs)... Unless you are flying below a certain height, over built up areas for the photos.. And even then you may not need an OC, you may only need some sort of special flight permit... or something of the sorts.. As i said I'm no expert, but i do know, under normal circumstances you do not need the oc...

Expat
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Expat »

Iced Kiwi wrote:I've done a good few hundred hours in a Cherokee doing low level photography. Similar to being strapped to a ceiling fan, and you only get a break every 5 hours to put new batteries in!!
I also did a few hundred hours with a photographer shooting farms. I know some pilots who would shoot themselves, but I found that flying was enough for me. The slow flying at 300 AGL all day, avoiding cell towers and doing steep drifting turns low and slow is a good time and confidence builder for a low time pilot.
Consider going up to circuit altitude for landing! :smt040

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”