Gear to bring up north

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

up_and_locked
Rank 1
Rank 1

Gear to bring up north

Post by up_and_locked »

Hi everyone,

I just got hired as a dockhand with an operator out of Red Lake, ON. While I am very excited to start working soon, I don't know exactly what I should be bringing there for the season as gear. I don't think I am the only one in this situation, but after searching the forums with no results I was thinking we could compile a good list in this thread, especially with the help of all the experienced bush pilots! Maybe you could also recommend certain brands (such as a good raincoat)? That would be very helpful.

Here is what I have thought of so far:

-sleeping bag
-multi-tool
-carhartt pants
-rain gear (any really good brands guys?)
-bug dope
-work boots
-long sleeved shirts (anything specific worth getting?)
-fishing rod + lures
-long underwear
-toque
-work gloves

Feel free to comment on or add anything to the list!!! I appreciate it guys!
---------- ADS -----------

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Gear to bring up north

Post by seasonaldriver »

I've worked in that country and it isn't cold all the time. In fact it gets damn hot sometimes!
Don't forget shorts, t-shirts, sandals or runners, swimsuit, books, mp3 player, etc.

Mark's warehouse or Walmart has got it all.

Oh and check if wherever you're working supplies stuff like clothes detergent. Most all do, but...

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I'm sure you're too young to care but since you have sleeping bag on the list, get a really nice pillow and some extra pillow cases. Change the case once a week and throw the used one in the wash with your t-shirts socks and underwear. You'll soon be spoiled for it but it will help you get a good nights sleep.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re:

Post by seasonaldriver »

Beefitarian wrote:I'm sure you're too young to care but since you have sleeping bag on the list, get a really nice pillow and some extra pillow cases. Change the case once a week and throw the used one in the wash with your t-shirts socks and underwear. You'll soon be spoiled for it but it will help you get a good nights sleep.
+1
Got that right!

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

Mosquito coils if you're anywhere not close to a store. Most screens... well, aren't. Helly Hansen rain gear is pretty good. You sweat in most of any of the brands, but at least HH keeps the rain and wind out and is light & compact and not overly expensive when you put a hole in it. Duct tape for that. The Wetskins from CTC or pretty good and the "Ranger" brand are a more heavy duty HH version. Get tops & bottoms. I like bibs so when you're rolling drums in the rain, they aren't around your ankles. Maybe, hip boots if you have them. Depends on how many docks you have to put in/out, repair or waterlines. Also depending where, what and who... some kind of tote you can put a lock on or lock and clasp to put on your room door. Again, all very circumstancial. Some places are great and others seem to have things walk away every time you turn your back. Depends a lot on how much transient traffic is around while you're out working for what you have. Lots of socks and underwear. They're almost cheaper to throw out than to take them to the laundrymat. It does get hot and some of these staff houses are notoriously hot... maybe steal your moms fan. Short ext. cord / power bar. Falshlight, lighters small cooler. A large towel / curtain. A nice day pack that if you have to walk to town to do laundry and get 24 cans of beer and potato chips, it'll all fit... Laundrymat on a Fri. night with a few beers isn't a bad spot. And now that you have the job, if you do drive, fill your car with empty boxes or something so people aren't always asking for rides to town because you are the only one with gas in your vehicle. Look around your bedroom and living room and figure out what you have there that creates comfort and take it. Also, I'm thinking that you are at a drive to dock not at a remote camp. That would change things again. Booster cables, good spare tire & tire repair kit, good jack. Tunes have been mentioned. Battery clock, don't rely on a power operated alarm. Journal book and paper/pens/pencils/markers. If your hard on junk food, get it before you get into the small towns, same with pop if your drink it. Get enough of that stuf for at least 2-3 weeks, who knows when you'll get into town and it won't be cheap. Batteries. Just trying to think of stuff everyone is always asking for. Have fun, be careful.

benoit.baril
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by benoit.baril »

Pictures or videos of stuff you like :wink: :wink:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Sunscreen.

A good attitude, no matter the circumstances.

darbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darbel »

I always found that a lighter was a handy thing to have in your pocket at all times. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a bic will do. You'll probably find yourself cutting up new rope, or lighting a camp fire, or lighting up a burner for a fish fry etc... I buy a new bic at the beginning of every season, and it doesn't leave my pocket till the end. The key to not losing it is to not lend it out to smokers.

AnywhereBound
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AnywhereBound »

Chestwaders are nice to have, beats going swimming while working on a dock or ramp.

AnywhereBound
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AnywhereBound »

Who are you working for up there?

Cadismack
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cadismack »

Mosquito NETS!!!!!!!! Depending on what you're calling north, it might be a necessity that you wouldn't want to be without. Went to a few exploration camps last summer in NU and WOW, never EVER though they could be that bad! Was wishing I had the foresight the twitter guys had with the nets under their ball caps

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Red Lake is expensive. Bring whatever non perishables you can. Soap, shampoo, laundry detergent, old cheese, and anyother specialty food items you like. Deet based bug spray. Fishing, I like a regular rod and reel with 8-10 lb test. A collapsable if you might fly in overnight. Basic lures, 5 of diamonds, red, red devil, walleye rigs, a few rapalas. There is walleye, pike, musky and huge lake trout in the area.

There's a saying in Red that you are the FNG until all the people older than you die. Bring a good sense of humour and a better attitude/work ethic.

I'm sure JC will chip in here with some advise.

Good luck. Oh ya, great hunting and blue berry country as well.

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

If you were hired by the float operator with the oldest POS and the most modern POS, I would turn around now. The others are pretty decent to work for so in that case continue the drive.
Good Luck

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

Take a good camera, you're about to have the most memorable experience of your aviation career. I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

The best thing to bring is a positive attitude. You'll know what I mean in a couple of months.

up_and_locked
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by up_and_locked »

Great ideas! I got on with Lac Seul Airways, I leave this weekend and start tuesday, looks like a great place to work for and I`m really looking forward to it!

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

Congrats!
It looks like they picked up Snoopy's old base on the Chukuni, by the bridge. On the stuff side, buy a roll of dayglo orange duct tape at Cdn Tire. Put in on your leather man and lighter, and anything else you want to be able to find when you drop or lose it. Which you will. Bring a big-ass magnet on a string. No, bigger than that, the Chukuni is murky. Drop something in the water that isn't orange, or try to fish it up with a fridge magnet, it won't be fun. For you anyway. Go as far upstream as you can on the Chukuni as you can and after the narrows, turn left and stop. Lots of hungry walleyes there.

Bug dope, bug jacket. If it really pours down rain, you aren't flying. Don't go wild on winter gear, fire season is in 2 weeks. Baseball hat, work gloves- 3 pairs... try and make them look used. Mark's Wearhouse is your friend. You should get used to using earplugs a fair amount of the time. Get several pairs. Detergent. Don't strive to be a bold fashion statement. It is a blue collar hard rock mining town. Be neat, clean and ready to work. Wearing airplane- related gear without having flown saidachine, except for Dehavilland or Norseman hats or shorts (Red Eagle Gift Shop) will make you seem like an idiot at the Legion, Irish Bar, or the Lakeview.

If anything you own will be ruined by dropping it in water, either put it in a ziplock, or consider not bringing it to the dock. Cameras do not float. Get a book of knots. An iPhone or touch is better than a laptop for ease of carrying. TBay tel is probably still the only cell service, and they are as expensive and unreliable as anyone else. If cell service isn't essential to your job, consider avoiding the inevitable heartache.

Leisure time on crap WX days, track down Al MacNeil at the old folks home or Norm Wright on the Island. Few other 30000 hour float guys left alive.

Food at Sobey's is pricey. Buy as much dry and canned stuff as you can. Bring it in rubber
Aids to keep it organized. If you drink, buy it two weeks worth at a time. Learn to make bannock. Eat that instead of bread. If you guide, you don't want it to taste like you've never cooked. In fact learn how to use a crockpot, and make more stuff that isn't time sensitive.

La Bella Pizza is okay the rest if the takeout is poison they may still have a pizza named after me.

NWONT
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NWONT »

When you're in the Lakeview stay away from crazy Larry. Once he gets to know you he'll never leave you alone.

up_and_locked
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by up_and_locked »

Hahahhaa great replies! Especially the orange tape and magnet thing, that's pretty clever! Thanks so much guys!

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Let's not lose sight of the fact it is Red Lake he is going to not the middle of the tundra to live in a tent. It is pricey to live there but rather than focusing on bringing a whole bunch of stuff you won't use, I would be more concerned on where you are going to live. Finding housing will be your biggest challenge not finding bug spray, unless you know someone there and have that taken care of already.

Enjoy your summer and live the dream!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”