Regs regarding takeoff & landing a floatplane

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

pickerel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Regs regarding takeoff & landing a floatplane

Post by pickerel »

Hi
Does anyone know where I might find a regulation regarding who has right of way between landing or taking-off floatplane and a boat? I've tried a few searches in the marine and aviation sections on TC but can't find anything.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Regs regarding takeoff & landing a floatplane

Post by Liquid Charlie »

The boat -- always the boat (your vantage point dictates that) how can one determine who has the right of way if you can't communicate - once on the water you are governed by rules of the water and are considered a powered craft --- if there are restricted areas for aircraft movement it will be indicated in your supplement such as Kenora Ontario --

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Boat does not always have the right of way... the lake may be designated a certified aerodrome, like on Pine Lake in Nestor Falls. It is the boaters responsibility to stay out of our way and pay attention, which is rarely the case however. Elsewhere, the boat would have the right of way though.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by seasonaldriver »

I cannot remember where I read it but I believe the regs say that the aircraft has the right of way when it is on the step during take off or landing, otherwise boats have the right of way and the rules of the road apply. Having said that, there are an awful lot of really stupid boaters out there that don't have an effing clue what is happening around them. Stay clear of boats if at all possible!

Liquid Charlie
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Liquid Charlie »

Having said that, there are an awful lot of really stupid boaters out there that don't have an effing clue what is happening around them. Stay clear of boats if at all possible!
exactly my point --

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

A friend of mine was taking off on floats in a 185 at Roddickton NL, many years ago. Eddy had an old guy in the right seat, taking him to the hospital in St. Anthony. It was one of those 185's with the vane stall warning that would beep a few times while the airplane was climbing up on the step, which they were when a boat came out of nowhere and nearly cut him off. The stall warning beeped a couple of times and the old fella said "Thass it my son, blow yer harn at 'en!" :D

A Regulator
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A Regulator »

Try 602.20

Bushav8er
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Bushav8er »

Try 602.20
Nope, that's maneuvering ON the water.

Nearest is 602.19 (7) Where an aircraft is in flight or manoeuvring on the surface, the pilot-in-command of the aircraft shall give way to an aircraft that is landing or about to land. .

Problem with this though is the use of the word 'aircraft'. It should have been worded as, like in other locations, 'vessel'. A lawyer would be on this.

I do believe it was once spelled out that a landing aircraft has the right-of-way, but as mentioned before, a boater wouldn't know this. Then there is the good old 'catch-all' -
602.19 (a) the pilot-in-command of an aircraft that has the right of way shall, if there is any risk of collision, take such action as is necessary to avoid collision; and

Essentially it goes that the one with more control must give way, which is why its been said (on water) that if a collision with boat is imminent - be sure you kill the engine first.

spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spafloats »

There is a disconnect between the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (as amended for Canada) and what is written in the Safe Boating Guide (TP511E), which is what boaters reference when they write the test for "The Boater Pleasure Craft Operator Card" in Canada.

Page 51 of the above mentioned document: "Seaplanes: As a boater, you must be aware of what is going on around you, both on the water and in the skies. watch for aircraft anytime you are out on the waterand give plenty of space to any aircraft that is landing or taking off." This would, at first glance, appear to give right of way to the seaplane at all times in the take-off and landing phases.

Spafloats

pilotidentity
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pilotidentity »

LOL S.H!

The things your passengers say.

Reminds me of a wheel pilot friend that years ago bought a Cessna 185 on floats and checked himself out on it. He started doing chisel charters off the West Coast to an offshore fishing ship with Japanese clients. He lost directional control taking off from the river in YVR when his seat slid back. He went from heading straight down the river to a collision course with the river bank in a matter of seconds, and instinctively pulled back just before hitting the shore. He somehow climbed over the bank, missing it by inches. After working his seat up and regaining control his Japanese passenger looked him in the eye, smiled, and shouted AAAAHHHH Kamikaze!!!!

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”