Pilot Town

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Beaver Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pilot Town

Post by Beaver Driver »

Just about to start season #15 (#6 in the bush), and once again the pay isn't quite as good as I had hoped. So I'm thinking to myself "Self. How am I ever going to be able to afford my wish list of toys when I'm always working for peanuts".

So then I thought about moving to some small town where you can buy a house for, well, peanuts. Thereby leaving some money left over for toys.

Then I took the thought one step further. Why not get a bunch of seasonal pilots together and all move to the same small town. Some one could buy a bar, someone else a restraunt. We could start a flying club and buy something like a Pitts.

There could be wing nights twice a week, parties every weekend. It would be great for networking. Anual ski trips. Rec hockey games. For the single guys, these towns always have a couple of single school teachers, not to mention all the divorced cougars. The possibilities are endless.

Then again I did start travelling a few years ago just so I wouldn't have to hang around pilots all the time.

This post actually started out serious :?
---------- ADS -----------

JACKASS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JACKASS »

And if we could setup our own EI office we could have our poogy on a fast track basis. With government money coming into the town

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Pilot Town

Post by just curious »

Beaver Driver wrote:Just about to start season #15 (#6 in the bush), and once again the pay isn't quite as good as I had hoped. So I'm thinking to myself "Self. How am I ever going to be able to afford my wish list of toys when I'm always working for peanuts".

So then I thought about moving to some small town where you can buy a house for, well, peanuts. Thereby leaving some money left over for toys.
This post actually started out serious :?
Hey Beav,

Look for a hard rock mining town at the end of the road. Almost anyone ending in the word Lake. Red, Pickle, Snow. Houses there are cheap. Particularly when a mine is laying off/ closing. Due to the fact that they are end of the road, planes always have working hauling stuff North.

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

Anyone here know how much a little house in Pickle Lake, or any other Pilot Town would go for?

-istp

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Being from the West I don't really know Northern Ontario that well but assume that Sioux Lookout is similar to Pickle Lake. A quick check on the net found the following listing for two houses in Sioux that don't seem that cheap to me.

But maybe it's really a wonderful place to live. :?:

http://www.molstadrealty.com/index.htm

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

A house in Cochenour near the YRL airport averages 85K.
Snow Lake.... half that.

YXL has no mine, hence no periodic layoffs and real estate gluts.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

You can apparently find houses here in Pickle Lake for less than $60,000. Of course you have to live in Pickle Lake. (There are a lot of chicks here with the MNR in the summer.

Sioux Lookout is ridiculously expensive. However, I saw a house listed in Hudson (15 minute drive,) two storey, four bedroom house for $30,000.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Red Lake area housing is at least 75% more than they were when our learned friend JC lived there...should of held out for a while!
YXL is bloody steep as well.
Only a complete idiot would buy anything in YPL!!!! You'd be stuck with it till Christ returns!
Even Ear Falls is way up in price...however it dosent end in "Lake".
If ya want to live in a "pilot" town on the off season, it's a no brainer really, head to Mexico!!!! Like Duh! It'd be really cheap...if it's a little off the beaten track...beer aint bad, and we could head north just for the season, then scram south to work on our tans! And forget the self centered "cougars"...the local talent is more than pleasant!
EI shouldn't be a problem if ya keep your pie hole shut...it's all phone in and auto-deposit anyway!

just curious
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by just curious »

In that case.... (Pickle being too good for the likes of Doc, and well, me :wink: ) I'd recommend Chelem, 14 nm north of MMMD (Merida) House near the beach (1-2 minutes on foot, toting wife's endless accesories, hungover), 2-4 bedroom, pool, caretakers in separate casitas in your house compound- about 75 $CDN.

Merida has a dozen Aeromexico, or AeroCaribe, or Mexicana, or Continental flights a day to get out. Taxi rates to your house, or Merida or whereever are assigned by the taxi dispatcher and paid before you get in the cab. And Cheap.

If you need a fix of big city junk food, there are the usual BK, McD's Pizza Hut, and Bostons, except with great pleasant service.

You could go in to junk out and make a day of in in MMMD whilst visiting the big box stores. Movies, first run are in great airconditioned bank seating theaters with Spanish Subtitles, and more popcorn toppings than you can conceive of.

Did I really suggest Pickle? :oops:

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Ya! What he said!!!!

stallie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stallie »

Funny reading - it's the same over here in this (mining) area of the outback. In one town a bit south of me called Norseman, they are actually raffling off a house - tickets are $5 each. :shock:

http://www.dundas.wa.gov.au/default.asp?et=2&ei=10

That's the link with the address just in case you get sick of the cold abandoned mining town and want to live in a 45C semi abandoned mining town.

The airstrip is on a salt lake, nice and smooth! Bit soggy after rain though.

saltypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

If you're really interested

Post by saltypilot »

Hey...I have just the solution. Move to Newfoundland where you can get a newley renovated house on the South Coast for a little over 25K. There's a Provincially owned runway down there that needs a little TLC and it's about 10-20 minutes away from all living matter and no shortage of water to drop your pontoons in...That is, if you're up for a challenge. :wink:

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Salty....the only problem with the "Rock" is, last time I checked..they have WINTER!!!! And we dont want winter, now, do we?

saltypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Winter!

Post by saltypilot »

Details Details...I figure Winter is as good a time as any to try out the skis.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”