H2AD vs. E2D oil level

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

LionelZRH
Rank 0
Rank 0

H2AD vs. E2D oil level

Post by LionelZRH » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:02 am

Hi there!

I am flying a C172 that was converted from a H2AD to an E2D engine. The C172N POH (originally with the H2AD) asks for 4 to 6 quarts oil while the C172M POH (originally with the E2D) asks for 6 to 8 quarts of oil.

Before the engine change we always flew at around 5 quarts but I am correct to assume that with the new engine we have to fly at not below 6 quarts? There is still the pilot rumour going that oil above 6 quarts will just "burn".

Anyone has experience on these two engines and a recommendation on the oil level to fly on the "new" E2D engine?

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Lionel
---------- ADS -----------

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: H2AD vs. E2D oil level

Post by AOW » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:29 am

If I recall correctly, the H2AD had a max oil capacity of 6 qts, vs the E2D's max oil capacity of 8 qts. My experience with piston engines was that they usually would have a "natural" level above which any extra oil would just escape out the breather, and end up making a mess of the airplane's belly or landing gear. I certainly wouldn't suggest violating any flight manual limitations, but I think that you will find that the E2D engine will run just fine with 5 or 6 qts showing on the dipstick.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:46 am

My aircraft has an E2D from a C172. I usually keep the oil between 4 and 5 quarts. Minimum is 2 quarts according to the Lycoming manual.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:42 pm

The C172M has the E2D model installed and the POH states that the minimum oil level is 5 qts
Personally I would not fly this engine with less than this amount of oil. I have found that all engines are a little different with how much oil they like before they started just puking it out the breather, however I have never seen a O 320 with the 8 qt sump that was not happy with up to 6.5 qts. The last one I had experience with we added a qt when the level got to 5.5 and had no issue with loosing oil through the breather.

One point worth considering is that even heavily damaged engines will still run as long as they have oil, but internal damage usually results in rapid loss of oil so the more oil you have the longer the engine will run.

Not an exact comparison but I once lifted a cylinder on the radial engine in my Nanchang. It ran a bit rough but otherwise was fine but it puked out 5 litres of oil out of 15, in the less than 10 minutes it took me to get to a runway.

Return to “Maintenance”