PRM question

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Big Dan
Rank 0
Rank 0

PRM question

Post by Big Dan »

I recently took a PRM position for an air taxi. Helping some friends out. Now I don’t yet do their maintenance because I haven’t finished my application to transport yet for my own AMO but I was hoping to once I am up and running. The question is can I act as both my prm and their prm. The owner of the air taxi was told no I couldn’t not by a transport representative just by his present AMO contractor. Looked around in the cars. Didn’t see anything obvious. Possible I missed it.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: PRM question

Post by nine sixteenths »

726.03 Duties of Certificate Holder
(amended 2005/05/31)

Information Note:

The person responsible for the maintenance control system appointed pursuant to paragraph 706.03(1)(a) should be a member of the air operator's staff. This is to ensure that the person appointed is free of any conflict of interest, and is primarily responsible to the air operator in regard to any dealings with the maintenance organization. Employees of a contracting maintenance organization therefore, do not qualify for this position. The requirement is not intended to imply that the person appointed must be a full-time employee. Persons may be appointed on a part-time basis, provided they are available for such periods as are necessary to effectively control the maintenance system, having regard to the type and frequency of flight operations.

Big Dan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Big Dan »

Well there you go.
Thanks

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Big Dan wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:10 pm I recently took a PRM position for an air taxi. Helping some friends out. Now I don’t yet do their maintenance because I haven’t finished my application to transport yet for my own AMO but I was hoping to once I am up and running. The question is can I act as both my prm and their prm. The owner of the air taxi was told no I couldn’t not by a transport representative just by his present AMO contractor. Looked around in the cars. Didn’t see anything obvious. Possible I missed it.
Thanks
The answer is it depends. What kind of operator are we talking here? What chapter is the AOC registered under? Fixed wing or rotary? I think you can but more details are needed.

Big Dan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Big Dan »

Oh they are just a small air taxi operator two super cubs.

Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bulawrench »

PRM for both if there is only one certificate. If the AMO has a separate name and certificate there must be two PRMs.

Big Dan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Big Dan »

Yah the AMO is separate. I understand the conflict of interest. Don’t want to make this a pissing match. But when you think about it. A PRM with an OC and an AMO on the same certificate is kinda a conflict of interest too.
Again don’t want to turn this into a battle of just my thoughts.
Any way thanks for the input.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Big Dan wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:43 am Yah the AMO is separate. I understand the conflict of interest. Don’t want to make this a pissing match. But when you think about it. A PRM with an OC and an AMO on the same certificate is kinda a conflict of interest too.
Again don’t want to turn this into a battle of just my thoughts.
Any way thanks for the input.
If both are on the same certificate, then the PRM controls the AMO in order to keep the planes flying for the AOC.
If they are seperate and if the PRM would work for the AMO, then the AMO would in essence be controlling how and when the maintenance would be done, and be effectively controlling the AOC. You'd have a PRM that could essentially be approving everything the AMO does, and the AOC management would not be able to know exactly what it was, if the PRM goes rogue.

If an AOC and an AMO would be on the same certificate, they could still be in cahoots and do shady stuff, but at least the AOC would then be actively involved in the shady stuff, so any enforcement action would be appropriate. In the other case, a 'good' AOC could fall victum to a 'bad' AMO.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Bulawrench
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Bulawrench »

Apparently, the separate certificate thing has been challenged. Right from two inspectors in July informed me you can be PRM for as many AMO's as you want as long as you control the maintenance. My previous PMI said that because of separate certificates you couldn't but i guess he was mis-informed.
Same old thing. different answers from different inspectors.

Return to “Maintenance”