Continental O-200 overhaul

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ghazanhaider
Rank 2
Rank 2

Continental O-200 overhaul

Post by ghazanhaider »

I have a Continental O-200A sitting on a pallet for 4 years waiting on my homebuild CH750 to be completed.

It came from a Cessna damaged in a storm. The damage did not extend to the engine, nose or prop.

My original plan was to mount it and test run a few times with borescope/compression checks when it is time.

However, with the engine sitting in Ontario climate, I'm considering doing an overhaul. For the full overhaul cost of about $20k, I can buy other kitplane engines new.

I can help with the overhaul labour or try to do it myself with a mechanic supervision to reduce costs.

Is there a mechanic who can supervise an engine rebuilding in this manner around Ontario?

Ghazan
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Continental O-200 overhaul

Post by ahramin »

I had my O320 overhauled for under $10k by a shop that specializes in homebuilts. Since it's going on a homebuilt anyway, maybe there are cheaper shops who can do the work for you?

l_reason
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by l_reason »

I had my certified C-85 overhauled 3 years ago in the states at Kline Engines in Brocklin MI 517-592-2316. Everything was done, carb, mags, cam and crank were checked, 4 new ECI cylinders, new harness and plugs... I have about 350 hours on it trouble free. I was 10 grand USD out the door with 4 new cylinders rather then overhauled old ones. I'm sure it would be cheaper to rebuild an O-200 then the less common C-85. This is a small shop with only 2-3 guys working, I don't think they even have a website.

Give them a call.

On another note I'd probably do some research on how to store your engine, it may be too late but you should fill it with oil or something. One speck of rust on the cam and it's going to be more expensive to make it right.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Call John at ATC Engines near Orillia, he's very good with this sort of work. He overhauled both my O-200, and O-360.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

What's the TBO, how many years since overhaul, and how much time since (re)manufacture?

I wouldn't get too hasty about doing an overhaul. If there is a problem, it might take years or even never to show itself... and will give plenty of warning (ie, a couple of oil changes.. not seconds or minutes) when it does. The innards could be all rusted out... but as long as compressions, oil consumption, oil pressure, and static RPM are good its good to go. As soon as it goes to an OH shop and they see corrosion and that the cylinders are beyond service limits... it's going to be $$$$$$ not just for overhaul... but all of the pieces you will have to replace on top of a vanilla overhaul.

Continental engines generally do very well as far as internal corrosion goes. If there was clean oil in it when it was removed, it should be okay.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Pie is right. I suggest an inspection before an overhaul. This still should be done by someone familiar (hence my recommendation of John). Pulling two cylinders on one side will get you a good look where you need to see. Putting the cylinders back on should be done with care, I have pulled studs within the torque range.

The cam is a little vulnerable to rust, as all are, but not as much as Lycomings. The crankshaft is pretty well protected. The cylinders are very tolerant.

A friend sent me to pick up his 150 years ago at YYZ. Failure was not an option. I pulled it through, and I could hear and feel the rust in the cylinders. So I pulled it through many many more times to rub some off, and hopefully flow some oil. It started, it warmed up, and after a while it seemed happy to run smoothly. It produced takeoff RPM, so I flew it out. When I reached the destination, I changed the oil, and had the screen checked. nothing worrisome. The cylinders were borescoped, and seemed acceptable, and it ran for some time without a complaint. It eventually was overhauled, when the starter clutch let go inside, but that's another story...

Have the engine checked (two cyls off) for your piece of mind, and to preserve your investment.

On the subject of the starter clutch, if it has a key start clutch, it should be inspected and cleaned. They are a fine system if kept clean and free of damage, they are expensive terrible if neglected. if there is a key clutch, and you have trouble getting the maintenance it needs, PM me.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I wouldn't even bother pulling jugs, honestly. One thing I absolutely hate is opening up engines that don't need to be messed with. Colonel Sanders and Mike Busch aren't a fan of it either. Every time you remove a jug, you introduce a large element of risk for catastrophic engine failure. I only remove jugs on certified engines for no reason because Transport Canada tells me to do so if they are out of service for more than 12 months without being pickled.

I've pulled jugs off engines that were overhauled in the 70s, within a couple hundred hours of TBO, and not flown for the better part of a decade... and was unable to come up with any reason to remove it from service... Typically I just see uneven wear on the cam; rust spots in the cylinders and the non-nitrided parts of the cranks, rods, and rocker arms; and a whole pile of carbon and lead on the piston crown.

I've got an O-235 with in a similar situation--but I'm not going to bother doing anything with it other than continue it in service until I feel there is a reason to remove it. It will be on a tight leash at first (as will the aircraft--as required by CARs until it flies 25 hours IIRC) while I establish fuel and oil consumption and check the screens and do compression checks. But until I get a rapid rise in oil consumption or a screen full of metal over a couple of oil changes.. I'll fly it until (and probably past) TBO.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

Iflyforpie,

I'd be a bid more careful with the advice about the internals as I've seen many cases of Continentals having pitting issues on cams and lifter bodies. It is not just restricted to Lycoming.. They will both do it in the right situation. If you don't believe me come on over to my hangar and I'll show you pictures..

An internal inspection should be done on the engine at a minimum.. By a qualified person, not a hombuilder who thinks he/she knows what they are doing but someone who has actually worked in an engine overhaul shop.

Strega
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Strega »

I have personally disassembled many o-200 engines...

Go take it in ( or do it yourself if you can) and fix anything wrong with it before you fly it.

Pay me now, or pay me later....

Cheers

Rule books are paper - they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
— Ernest K. Gann, 'Fate is the Hunter.
WET140
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WET140 »

If there was nothing wrong with it when removed and your only worry is that it sat for four years it would be crazy to completely overhaul it! Scope it, if it looks good run it.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

twotter wrote:Iflyforpie,

I'd be a bid more careful with the advice about the internals as I've seen many cases of Continentals having pitting issues on cams and lifter bodies.
And I'd be a bit more careful reading my post which included the word 'typically'. I also specifically asked what TBO and how long ago it was overhauled.

And so what? Have you in your experience ever seen a plane fall out of the sky because a pitted lifter or camshaft with no warning whatsoever? You lose nothing but an engine re and re if it starts making metal.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

your only worry is that it sat for four years it would be crazy to completely overhaul it! Scope it, if it looks good run it.
You don't have to overhaul it to inspect it. However, you can't inspect the cam and lifters with any commonly available "scope", you're going to have to disassemble. If rust in the cylinders were the only concern, a "scope" would be good enough, and it would not matter as much anyway.

If you're not too concerned about taking out a cam and lifters due to running pitted ones, consider the value of the rear case, with the oil pump bores being ruined, and the risk to the crankshaft journals.

The right person can pull two cylinders to have a good look, and might not even disturb the rings. Still work which requires care, but far from an overhaul.

As said, pay me now, or pay me later....

Return to “Maintenance”