Sources for maintenance manuals?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wrenchturnin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Sources for maintenance manuals?

Post by wrenchturnin »

Looking for a reasonably priced place to buy Maintenance and IPC model specific manuals. Any place in Canada? I'd be looking for hard copy's. I googled and found esscoaircraft.com and they seem to have everything. Anyone order from these guys?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Sources for maintenance manuals?

Post by Heliian »

wrenchturnin wrote: I'd be looking for hard copy's.
The manufacturer is the first place to start for current manuals. Since it is now 2016, most have gone to digital subscriptions to allow constant updates without all the hassle of postage or murdering trees.

You're going to pay handsomely for some though. One site we used before is ATP. You can always print them out once you have the digital for your reference.

If you're looking for out of date relic paper copies I would try ebay.

wrenchturnin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wrenchturnin »

Yea I looked on ATP. They want like 600$ for one manual. It would be nice to find a source for specific manuals when I have an owner with no manuals. In my opinion if he can afford the airplane he should have the manuals but I can see an argument ensuing when he tells me I should have the maintenance manuals if I need a reference outside of the CARs annuals tasks. I mean I can only go so far in a logbook entry with the AC43.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Ya, 600 is one of their more inexpensive ones. If you have the aircraft serial number and the manufacturer is still in business then go to them, they might give it for free. As soon as you get an unregulated copy it becomes reference only, technically speaking.

wrenchturnin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wrenchturnin »

Cessna would give me up to date manuals for free? For example I do an annual for a guy with a 172. And I find extra's. I doesnt make sense to me to have the owner (or me) buy 1000's of dollars of manuals and update them every year to change a wheel or replace a cable. I know thats what the shops do because there higher volume and they pay every year. Is there not other options for a independent guy to obtain a legal logbook reference outside of CARS and the AC43 and AD'S?

Badfarmer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Badfarmer »

Tell me how you intend to use anything other than current Manufactures manuals when 571.02 clearly states;
(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who performs maintenance or elementary work on an aeronautical product shall use the most recent methods, techniques, practices, parts, materials, tools, equipment and test apparatuses that are
(a) specified for the aeronautical product in the most recent maintenance manual or instructions for continued airworthiness developed by the manufacturer of that aeronautical product;

Sadly Cessna, and all (including ATP) have us by the balls! Best bet is to get your customers to share the cost of manuals.

wrenchturnin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wrenchturnin »

Badfarmer wrote:Tell me how you intend to use anything other than current Manufactures manuals when 571.02 clearly states;
(1) Subject to subsection (2), a person who performs maintenance or elementary work on an aeronautical product shall use the most recent methods, techniques, practices, parts, materials, tools, equipment and test apparatuses that are
(a) specified for the aeronautical product in the most recent maintenance manual or instructions for continued airworthiness developed by the manufacturer of that aeronautical product;

Sadly Cessna, and all (including ATP) have us by the balls! Best bet is to get your customers to share the cost of manuals.

What do you mean? I have used the AC43 to legalize maintenance entry's for years (as long as they pertain). As for an annual I can sign an annual IAW CAR 625 all day long.

wrenchturnin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wrenchturnin »

I'd like to revive this topic. Can any other independent guys chime in as to what there using for maintenance manuals?

Thanks guys!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Well the right answer is the current manufacturer's manuals, supplemented by any current instructions for continued airworthiness for other equipment/mods installed on the aircraft, and maybe AC43.13.

It is the aircraft owner/operator's responsibility to define the work an AME/AMO is to accomplish, and the standard to which that work is to be carried out. The AME/AMO will of course accomplish the work in accordance with the CAR's requirements, so if the owner brings a plane along, one would expect that the owner would assure that you have the manuals describing the standard for the work, either because he "audits" you to assure your technical library is current for his aircraft, or he provides you the current manufacturer's information.

This is of particular importance for ICA's, as no AME/AMO could be reasonably expected to maintain current versions of ICAs for mods they've never dealt with before. My company is an STC holder. From time to time I receive a call from a shop, asking that I confirm that the ICA they have been presented with the aircraft is still current for the work.

Remind yourself of the carefully worded title of AC43.13 - Acceptable Methods Techniques and Practices Aircraft Inspection and Repair. It goes on to say inside the front cover: "... for inspection and repair of non pressurized areas of civil aircraft, only when there are no manufacture repair or maintenance instructions.". If there are manufacturer's manuals, you have to use them over AC43.13!

Remind the owner of their responsibility in the maintenance of their aircraft.

paragonheli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paragonheli »

Does anyone have a pdf copy of the service manual for a cessna 421B?

Oh Darn, I've wasted my life.

Return to “Maintenance”