KF Aerospace contractor deal!

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

KF Aerospace contractor deal!

Post by Pat Richard »

Are people actually taking this deal from out of town? Daily odometer checking??

Posting – KF Aerospace Requires AME’s for Hamilton Ontario and Kelowna British Columbia

Start date- March 13th ,2017 for both Hamilton and Kelowna

End Date- for Hamilton end date is approximately 4 weeks
-for Kelowna end date is Approximately 3 months

We require AME’s Licensed or Unlicensed

Rate- For local Contractors who live less than 150kms from Hamilton or Kelowna - Licensed $37.00 per hour , Unlicensed $35.00 per Hour
-For out of town Contractors who live 150kms or more from Hamilton or Kelowna – Licensed $45.00 per hour , Unlicensed $43.00 per hour

No- per diems

No- Flights

No- Accommodations

Work week- 50 hours per week . Min 5 days per week

Heavy checks on various aircraft types.

Location is in Hamilton Ontario and Kelowna British Columbia .Must have own tools and a valid current Human Factors that is 2 years old or less and a Current WHMIS Certificate that is one year old or less to be eligible for these positions.
---------- ADS -----------

robertw
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: KF Aerospace contractor deal!

Post by robertw »

Wow. That's a really lame deal. Maybe they're trying hard not to hire people. Where's a guy supposed to live? In his toolbox?

torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

WOW! So an AME license is worth a $2/hr premium? Really? The wage is a joke to boot. The whole ad is a joke and that speaks volumes as to how the company views maintenance.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

That's what I was thinking. I reread it 3 times...couldn't believe what I was reading. Was told today by someone who's contracted there a year ago that the "50 hrs" are far from guaranteed. The minute it slowed down, contractors go home. Said worse he had was 6 hours in 3 days. Quit after just under 3 weeks.

Sounds like nothings changed there, especially the pay. :lol:

*edit - just thinking...I think the employees are making in the low 30's. Anyone got info?

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

Worked with a guy who went to KF, rented an apartment for 3 mo. and was let go after a few weeks.

Pat217
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pat217 »

I've just recently joined and started looking around this forum. The stories you guys are telling and the ads that are being posted are horrendous.

$2 premium for a licensed tech?

This industry hasn't quite realized they need to hire millenials to keep up with demand by the looks of it.

Glasnost
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Glasnost »

High 20s for a licensed guy at KF. Same with Encore. What a joke.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

The irony with the "local contractors" pipe dream is that if there any, they're most likely ex flightcrap employees who lost out when the famous indiscriminate layoffs came around. I guess the plan will be to fill up on noobs. Its what they usually do.

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

I use to work for KF. Jumped ship and went to the rotary world about 7 years ago. I still know a lot of guys that work there and its pretty much how i left it. Super crazy busy with new work coming in all the time. I have contractor friends that are there and they like it, they are mostly our of towners so they get the full rate. I wouldn't contract and live in town, the guys on the floor are making more than you with the bennies factor'd in. Top rate on the floor is about $36/hr. Kelowna is crazy expensive to live, holy shit i couldn't afford to move back there. Overall i had a good experience when i worked there, but i wouldn't go back unless i couldn't get a job on choppers anymore.

Keppen
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Keppen »

So i could make 43 per hour coming right out of school? Unlicensed as an AME?

kilpicki
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by kilpicki »

Send your CV to the contract agency, they will forward it to KF and decide if they want you. Right out of school, $43 per hr, um, probably not. The agency may not even send it to KF.

jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

Keppen wrote:So i could make 43 per hour coming right out of school? Unlicensed as an AME?
Ha no I don't think so. I think they are referring to unlicensed sheet metal for the most part. It use to be a thing, not so much anymore but there are some quality unlicensed techs out there.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

I have contractor friends that are there and they like it, they are mostly our of towners so they get the full rate.

Are they delusional??

Doing quick math, after they pay for accommodation, transportation to ylw+to/from work, plus food, they must be around what the in-town contractors are getting which is what the rate was 15 years ago.

They're happy?

If that is the case they are fucking this trade from the inside out.

I knew there had to be a reason they offer this. Seems like there's always a fool(s) eager to whore themselves out.

Nice to hear fling winging has worked out for you.

xchox
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by xchox »

Or they could pay better wages, fail to compete, and have all their business go to HAECO. (Think NWA...) Definitely don't envy you AME boys walking that thin line.

Meatservo wrote:I just slap 'em in there. I don't even make sure they are lined up properly.
jsmetalbashers
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jsmetalbashers »

Pat I haven't seen rates higher than $45/hr since the early 2000's. I looked at contracting a few years back and the offers were in the low 40's. Anyways this industry isn't known for money and I'm not involved in fixed wing anymore so I don't know what good money is over there anymore. Doesn't sound like it's changed much. I'm working a 2 on 2 off schedule with a month holidays and making more than I did at KF. As far as I can tell bs like Encore coming in and offering $24 an hour and a q400 course is par for the course in fixed maintenance. Thankless industry.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

In the 40"s with at least accommodation, preferably with perdiums. Perdiums, accommodation, and transportation used the norm for contractors. Now its down to just barely more an hour than staff.
As far as competing with Asia, forget it. Its been demonstrated repeatedly you get what you pay for. Fact is you need the money I'm talking about just to live in places like Kelowna. That's why they are having so much trouble attracting experienced guys. Newbs will almost live in there car's for the opportunity these days, and that's to theirs and experienced AME's alike detriment.

Looking at the repeated ad's here and elsewhere, I think this industry, at least the fixed wing side, is nicely on it's way to bottom feeder status.

Eagerly viewing, lol!

neptune
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by neptune »

KF is a dump of a company and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone. Too much cronyism from some of the corrupted managers and you might as well be a slave if you are going to be doing heavy maintenance day in day out. Their hangars in Kelowna are old and they operate old and clapped out equipment. Like a poster above mentioned it has always been a hire and fire place with indiscriminate layoffs, those doing most of the work are laid off and the free loaders get to stay on.

Kelowna is too expensive to live in with the wages on offer and those doing contract work are often promised 2 months or more work and then their work is terminated after a few weeks. It might work for the local guys there, but not worth making a trip out there.

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

there are 2 agencies bidding on the the contracts for kfc and i worked for both about 5 years ago
One job was a lobe inspection on a 37 and we had 12 contractors 3 licensed and 9 so called mechanics the 3 licences were Canadians and the rest were foreigners so you can imagine what they paid them it was all about negotiation
guess what some were working for half of what the licensed guys were making
thats what kind of business the agencies are doing just call Canada part of the Americas
Aviation and Negotiation Rhyme it is a evil Word i mean World

Return to “Maintenance”