Jazz YVR AME opinions

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Badpowers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Jazz YVR AME opinions

Post by Badpowers »

Hi guys

Looking for opinions from maintenance staff at Jazz at YVR, past or present, for someone considering a move there. What's morale like? When was the last round of layoffs? What are the chances of getting a Dash 8 or CRJ endorsement in the next couple years if you're at the bottom of the seniority list?

Any info is much appreciated, thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Jazz YVR AME opinions

Post by Pat Richard »

My info is a bit dated, like 10 years, but back then on the floor morale with the guys was decent. Management were generally asshats and floor morale took hits when layoff's started. I knew several guys who laughed off the call backs when they came 2 years or so later because the wages were too low.
I think most guys took the training and went off either contracting or to better paying deals when they were laid off.

I'd be curious to know how its changed, or if it has, since then.

MZUNGO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by MZUNGO »

I know a guy that went there with a license and a Dash-8 endorsement somewhere near $22 to start. with premiums etc. $26
typical big shop work environment. lots of high seniority people there. as for morale I cant say, but he didnt mention anything bad.

Greg87
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Greg87 »

I enjoyed my time there. Spent 2 years with them. I had been in London and took a transfer to get out of heavy maintenance. Ended up leaving so I could get back to Ontario, couldn't see myself spending the rest of my life in Vancouver. I have heard that things have changed and morale has taken a hit. I'd like to think that is a temporary situation, and brought about due to company/union nonsense.

Badpowers
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Badpowers »

Thanks for the responses.

The mgmt v. union nonsense is something that's to be expected anywhere in this industry, at least in my experience.

Sounds like the pay is below industry average (which is already challenging in the lower mainland) for a licensed AME from what I gather. It's slim pickings for employment out here though, mainline at YYZ seems to be hiring pretty rapidly tho.

Any other impressions?

Return to “Maintenance”