Skyhunter 406 ELT owners please read

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Skyhunter 406 ELT owners please read

Post by photofly »

If you didn’t know, the manufacturer (outfit in Breslau, ON) went out of business a couple of years ago leaving everyone high and dry. That means that the ELT units are all going to be worthless scrap when the batteries expire, as they stopped manufacturing the battery packs at the same time. For me, that’s in May 2019, at which point I will own a thousand dollar yellow paperweight.

If anyone else is in this boat, let me know. There may be a way to get approved spares made, they’re just off the shelf cells with a connector, after all. But it would be easier if lots of people will want them.
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Skyhunter 406 ELT owners please read

Post by ahramin »

I was just speaking to a company in the US that could legally redo and recertify the battery pack on those 406s for $300 USD + shipping. If that's in your price range and you want the name I can figure out who it was. Personally I'd stop throwing good money after bad and buy something else.

Though there really is no good answer for who to get an ELT from is there? Each company has had their issues, some obviously much more than others.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

All ELT Li-SO2 battery packs (including the original one) are about $250, so the price isn't much higher. I don't see why I should throw away a working ELT, buy another for $1500 and and pay $1000 to have it installed when a new battery pack is good for another five years. It's just 4 off-the-shelf Li-SO2 D cells strapped together. It's just the paperwork itself is made of unobtanium.

So yes, contact details for that shop would be very welcome.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Found it:

http://merlinc.net/

Don't quote me on that price, I think the $300 may not have included the paperwork. It was a couple weeks ago.

Naglu
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Naglu »

In follow up to this thread, has anyone been able to keep find a replacement battery for the Skyhunter 406 and keep the elt operational?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Yes - speak to Discount Avionics, they can help now.

Return to “Maintenance”