AME-S to AME-M1-M2 where is the line?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nakmuay18
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME-S to AME-M1-M2 where is the line?

Post by nakmuay18 »

Hi All, I'll lay out how i understand things are, however im hoping somebody can correct me if I'm off target.
An AME-S is able to perform and sign a maintenance release for structural work without a type endorsement
An AME-M1/2 will not be issued an S or E license as the M1/2 covers both. To sign for S work they require a type course though?
An AME-M1 or M2 with a type course can sign S work, but not specialized maintance, IE pressure bulkhead repair, But does anybody have the CAR's reference that sets the limits of what an M can sign for structurally? I remember reading something about specialized tooling, but that sounds pretty vague.
Anybody have any ideas?
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: AME-S to AME-M1-M2 where is the line?

Post by Heliian »

No type endorsement is needed with either.

Specialized Maintenance has to be done by an AMO, that AMO can lay out whom is qualified to sign a release. Usually you'll need an S or M1/M2 and experience on the procedures or type, not a type endorsement.

It's kind of a circle of publications to reference. Cars pt.4 for license, pt.571 for maintenance and the airworthiness manual. They all reference each other and reference your mpm/mcm.

ACA
SCA
RCA

Woody42
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Woody42 »

CAR 571 Schedule 2 lists what is considered specialized. An M guy cannot do any of these items. These Items need to be completed by an ACA holder approved for that work while working at an appropriately rated AMO.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Woody42 wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm CAR 571 Schedule 2 lists what is considered specialized. An M guy cannot do any of these items. These Items need to be completed by an ACA holder approved for that work while working at an appropriately rated AMO.
The ACA holder can be an M1/M2 or S or E.
The SCA can be anyone who meets the requirements.

You cannot do any specialized maintenance outside of an AMO.

In the OPs case, 571 schedule 2 is what you can't do.

However, any rated AME can do sheetmetal work that's not structural. The release is just a maintenance release.

nakmuay18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nakmuay18 »

I understood that for an AMEM to sign a maintenance release on non elementary work the individual required a valid license, currency, work under an AMO with an established MPM, and that they required a type rating to get ACA? Again I could be well off the mark, I'm just looking to figure out theses details.

This is the section that's confusing me?
571.11 (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (7), no person other than the holder of an aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) license issued under Part IV, specifying a rating appropriate to the aeronautical product being maintained, shall sign a maintenance release as required by section 571.10.

If you don't require a type rating, what is it referring to and why do they exist? Does that mean that an AMO can issue any M1/M2 with ACA weather they have worked on that aircraft category or not?
Sorry a lot of questions there

CAR 571 Schedule 2 was what I was looking for originally, thanks!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The rating they are referring to is the AME rating. M1, M2, S, E, M1M2.

Only aircraft operated under pt4 and pt7 require an amo for maintenance.

Return to “Maintenance”