Out of school for years without any work experience asking for opinion

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Seyren
Rank 0
Rank 0

Out of school for years without any work experience asking for opinion

Post by Seyren »

Hello guys, first time here asking for some opinions.

So here's a little of my background. I graduated BCIT with AME-S back in 2011 with hope that AMOs will hire fresh off the school graduates. What gave me such hope was that the entire class from previous year was hired right after graduation. Also there was only single class for S that year with only 10 graduates compared to others from M with 2 or 3 classes starting at different time of the year, thus bringing my hope of getting into the industry in a smooth sailing up even higher.
Boy was I ever wrong.

Turns out the AMOs that year were not much into hiring new apprentices for Structure and the only person who got hired was a guy who had 10+ years of experience in the field in Korea. Rest of us who had absolutely no experience got the boot.

I also went on and worked on part time jobs to save money in case I get hired after, but that after became years with 0 hrs in the field. And as for rest of my classmates who got the boot, moved on to different industries.

I'm becoming 30 by the end of the year and my question is am I too late now to pursue this life as an AME or should I just give up and move on to something different? I'm single without any mortgage or debt but short in finance to move freely and settle in to a new place at the moment.
---------- ADS -----------

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Out of school for years without any work experience asking for opinion

Post by edmanster »

I must be getting old ..
30 years & considering yourself too old !!!
Get off that couch & smell the coffee! !!
- if all you are interested in is a union job wandering around the hanger chatting it up with the buds .. then find something else to do .. we got plenty like this ..
- if you are a 'hands-on' type who looks for challenges & has a good aptitude .. lots of work.
Come to Toronto - Structures in very high demand!
.. this is from a guy who did Northern Lights at age 27 / SAIT AMT age 36 / and Univerity Engrg age 40.
I still have my Sheetmetal carry-on toolbox ready to go at age 60.
I wish i was 30 years again ! .. climbing inside aircraft would be less painful on the knees !

eddiezz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eddiezz »

AME-S are in high demand .

I'm 33 and currently in school for AME-M...don't let yourself think you are too old for anything . life is a choice .

good luck on finding work . shouldn't be too hard right now .

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

As said age is not a factor but you gotta step up your efforts to get hired. Are you in BC? There are several AMO's that hire on a regular basis so you have to get your name in there. Do you monitor the job boards, have your name in with the contract agencies? You'll have noticed big demand for maintenance people so get your name out there.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Tried Viking Air up in Calgary, or in Victoria? They must be gearing up for the 215 to 415 conversion program..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Yes Viking or Longview as the conversion company is called is hiring. Get yourself to Calgary or Victoria or Cascade as they are doing the first conversion.

zhuo409
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by zhuo409 »

Age 32 after BCIT, close to 40 still working on getting licensed.

Return to “Maintenance”