Aircraft import and incomplete logs

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Aircraft import and incomplete logs

Post by milotron »

Hi,

I am considering purchase of an aircraft from the US. Some of the logs are missing, primarily those before 2000. ( aircraft is a 1978 ) Logs for current engines and current props are complete. Missing some STCs or 337s on equipment installed.

Price of the aircraft reflects this reality. There is some damage history and it appears to be logged completely.

Is this a show stopper for import into Canada?
---------- ADS -----------

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Aircraft import and incomplete logs

Post by rigpiggy »

if you have a copy of the logs, give them to the guy doing the import. it will cost some money, but a whole lot less than reselling back in the states

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I spoke to a MD-M today about just this question. The issue is life limited parts, and the requirement to trace their time in service.

As someone said, get advice from your MD-M before you buy.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

Thanks, I just received the extent of the logs today so will try and speak with them.
Aside from props(which have to be done regardless), engines/accessories and some pressurized windshields, I can't see that much else that would be time limited on a privately operated aircraft. Gear motors?

How big an issue are missing STCs or 337 for installed equipment?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They can be recovered from the FAA who will send you every document they have on an aircraft, on CD-ROM, for $5. TC, please note.

The biggest problem is finding a CD-ROM player, these days.

I’m sure you know, but stay away from any modifications on a Form 337 that have not been approved by the FSDO in box 3. They are unlikely to be approved in Canada and may have to be reversed before the aircraft is registerable in Canada. But your MD-M is their person to ask.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
milotron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by milotron »

Thanks for the comment on the unapproved 337s. I did not know that and I can filter that out pretty quick before wasting my mechanics time.

Already ordered the CD from FAA. $10USD. Yep, needed to find the oldest computer in the office to use it...

Thanks again. I'll keep looking. So much crap out there.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’m told that what it comes down to for mods and repairs is they have to supported by “approved” or “acceptable” data.

Good luck!

Return to “Maintenance”