saxon ad insight

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

saxon ad insight

Post by Pat Richard »

For those wondering who these contracts and what they entail -

We are currently seeking all trades, both licensed and unlicensed, for multiple contracts throughout Canada. We have contracts available in the following locations:

Vancouver - sunwing. Don't have details but they are looking for local guys for cost reasons.
Langley - ?
Abbotsford - Cascade. Last I saw was 43 a/hr, nothing else before Christmas, this guy also muscled in on Conair so possibly them or both
Kelowna - KF $45ish a/hr for out of towners and you pay everything. Around $37 a/hr if you're local.
Calgary - no idea
Edmonton - Canadian North, around $45 a hour with accommodation and perdium, at least that's what other agencies are offering. Bit desperate there.
Windsor - AAR, should be about $45 a hour, $100 a day perdium(you cover accommodations/meals out of that) also possible quality Inn downtown windsor. You pay travel to/from Windsor.
Trois Rivieres - AAR, basically the same as Windsor. * refer to Elite's ad's for details. That's what/where he's trying to find people for.
St. John's - PAL, not sure of the details right now. Accomodation and travel was being provided as per there ad's before christmas.

If you are looking for contract employment, please send us an email with your current resume and the date you would be available to start work. We will send you all the particulars for the locations that you express interest in.

Please respond to : info@saxonaerospace.com.

All are desperately looking but offering pretty much what they did a year ago. Tough sledding. :lol:

If you guys have more current info please add to this or update it.
Im personally getting tired of the secret BS that some of these agencies constantly adhere to. Same crap over and over.

Trying to save a bit of Contractors time.

Happy New Year

Pat
---------- ADS -----------

MD-2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: saxon ad insight

Post by MD-2 »

I thought there was a shortage in the industry for qualified AME's? Judging by those rates apparently not...

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

Companies refuse to react to "supply and demand". They keep offering the same hoping a boatload of saps are around the corner.
I think this why there is a shortage - good experienced guys have lost patience/interest.

If I was an agency I'd be throwing in the towel. Many companies payrolls are where the contract rates are plus benefits. But then there's the KF's and Encores of the industry...

THE CONTRACT RATES ARE SHIT! DO YOU HEAR THAT AGENCIES AND COMPANIES?!

😊

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I've worked for 2 contract agencies in the past, about 2 years since I did a contract and have no plans on going out on another till the rate goes up.

TheAME
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TheAME »

If you guys are saying contractor rates are shits, what would be a fair hourly rate for a M2 guy ?

Dustier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dustier »

I guess it really depends on your situation. If you are a high time guy sitting at top scale of any of the major carriers then your hourly rate is in the mid 40s plus vacation, overtime, disability, pension, etc. Hard to leave that for $45/hr contract with no benefits. It does however take quite a while to get to that position. If you only have a few years in the industry I could see the draw of contracting but for me personally I would have to see $60/hr to even consider it.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

I agree, plus reasonable non shared accommodation, all travel paid, daily perdium of at least $60, transportation to and from work.
To offer around $48 a hr with NOTHING ELSE is a joke. Do you hear that KF and Cascade? Still trying to figure out why next to nobody wants to work for you?

The rest of the offers are not a whole lot better. Wanting you to buddy up with accommodation, pay your travel, stay in shit 1.5 star motels so you have enough left over to eat(AAR).
Still, plenty of saps are accepting it but thankfully its now less.
Should add that MDM was offering almost $5 hour less than others for the AAR gigs. That so far has been the worst offer I've seen.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

I think you guys need to remember that the reason the rates are what they are is these MRO's like KF and AAR are competing for contracts against MRO's in the southern US and elsewhere that have very low labor rates and costs compared to Canada. This is the main reason that AC moved most of their heavy maintenance out of the country. The fact is that airplanes are easy to move to where labor is cheap. Not sure what the typical shop rates are these days but it wasn't long ago it was around US$75 or less for heavy maintenance. Factor in productivity etc and that doesn't leave much room for high wages. That's why it's better to work on stuff that is not so easy to move. If it wasn't for our dollar being back to .70US I think these MRO's would be pretty dead.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Canadian companies are taking work that they can't handle. not many want or can afford to for what is being offered so the problem is with the canadian side. Don't go bidding on work when HR is struggling to recruit everybody. The states they are getting what they pay for, ask Westjet how that went.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

No doubt there are some real chop shops out there but some others offer "Not just good but good enough" quality i.e. survived the ferry flight home.

Return to “Maintenance”