Compass Swing Error?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Tracer007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Compass Swing Error?

Post by Tracer007 »

Newbie looking to wrap my head around swinging a compass using a master compass.

I'm not sure if my pilot is just messing with me or if I'm looking at this the wrong way.
With the pilot putting the aircraft on 000 according to the mag compass and say I'm seeing 002 on the master I signal the pilot +2*. However he was writing down the opposite at -2*.

I asked about this when afterwards and he stated from the aircraft, 000 on the mag compass is -2 from the 002 shown on the master compass.

Which one of us is wrong here?

Thanks,
Tracer.
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Compass Swing Error?

Post by ahramin »

+2, -2, neither has anything to do with a compass card.

FOR STEER

FOR 000 STEER 358

Tracer007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tracer007 »

ahramin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm +2, -2, neither has anything to do with a compass card
But for calculating the A, B and C error for your corrections it would matter. In this case the error was low enough that no correction was required otherwise I would have been chasing my own tail.

And I had remembered enough of the swing to realise the pilot had written down literally the opposite of what I had said which would have caused me to put the wrong steer to on the compass card.

So with the above mentioned, who is correct? Me or the pilot?

Thanks,
Tracer.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

So the pilot is saying 0 - 2 = -2

and you're saying 2 - 0 = +2

and you're on here trying to figure out which one is wrong??? I'd say whoever the person in charge of this compass swing would be the wrong one since they failed to brief the procedure for recording the data.

Communication is not the art of getting your mouth to say what you mean. Communication is the art of getting the meaning in your brain into someone else's brain.

roscoe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by roscoe »

The exercise briefing would sound like this; "write down what I signal to you and I'll take it from there!"

If you don't know,ASK!
"Do or do not..there is no try"
Twin Otter Fodder
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Twin Otter Fodder »

Did you try lining the aircraft up to 000 with the master compass and get the driver to write down what the standby is actually indicating? Sounds like you're doing it the hard way.

Return to “Maintenance”