Any AMEs working for voyeguer overseas?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AvionicsFinest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Any AMEs working for voyeguer overseas?

Post by AvionicsFinest »

Hey just wondering if anyone out there has any information about working overseas for voyeguer,
What pay is like? Accomadation?
Any information is helpful
Did some research on this forum and most of the posts about the topic are pretty old, so if there’s any new information out there that would be great.
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Any AMEs working for voyeguer overseas?

Post by Pat Richard »

Interest dried up in that gig years ago when Harper killed the overseas tax credit. That was the main reason most did it as it wasn't fantastic pay just a low tax rate.
I knew more than a few back in the day that did it, one died in Africa while working on a airplane.

AvionicsFinest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AvionicsFinest »

Yeah that would make sense, would be a nice tax credit.
Thanks for replying. if anyone else has any input or if anybody currently works for them that would be appreciated, I was only asking because it sounds like a interesting experience while I’m still young, and a colleague of mine (mechanic) looks like he’s all set on going. And tbh this whole line maintenance thing for a Canadian airline gets old pretty quick.

Thanks

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I worked overseas for 3 companies but never Voyageur. You say you're young and are not being challenged at your job? Go for it. I cant say I made a lot of money but one job was comparable to what I'd make in Canada but I only worked 1/2 a year to get that. The experience of meeting and working with a lot of Nationalities is something you don't get working the line here, well maybe the Nationality part. I'm not sure its true but I heard some of the Voyageur people had a place in Spain or Portugal and instead of returning to Canada they went there on their weeks off. Once you meet and drink with some of the other Engineers from other projects you make contacts and you hear about jobs in other places, some better than the Countries Voyageur may be in.

Grumbler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Grumbler »

Not me but a good friend has been with them for over 10 years. He does 3 months in, 3 months out, Voyageur pays the flights. The money isn't really that great unless you give up your Canadian residency which takes a while out of country, and keep your whole paycheck tax free. The accommodations are good, they operate out of some sketchy war zones at times. The company provides local drivers who know the dangers and the whole crew, pilots, AME's, F/A's travel together from airport to accommodation and back. Flak jackets provided and worn on the job. But they also are in some decent spots. Just don't expect that a junior guy will be sent to one of those. You go to the s---holes first

AvionicsFinest
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AvionicsFinest »

Thanks for the reply’s :!:

FixinPlanes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FixinPlanes »

Hello, I would say: Definitely 110 % go for it. I worked for VAL overseas 4 years in Africa and 1 year in Afghanistan and it was the best job I have had in my life. It totally changed my life and my perspective having only really lived and worked in Canada beforehand. i got to visit nearly 50 countries between my tours and my time off travel.

I am with a major carrier now and its boring compared to the fun we had in those days. You will get to see places that you would never see and get paid for it. They have some good bases and some that are not so good, but they are very fair in that you can move around within reasons ( on your next tour).
you can take your 2 months off anywhere.The pay is not great in a dollars per hour on the offer letter, but the pay is fantastic because you can nearly save 100% of it while you are on tour and just live on your per diem. You can save your entire paycheck, and some per diem and if you are at a smaller more remote base like Wau, S.Sudan, you get an extra daily allowence ( on your cheque) of $50 bucks per day. Voyaguer has recently diversified and had a base in Sweden and one in the Caribbean ( which they have from time to time ). The maintenance manager is a stand up guy and the DOM of line ops is a good, fair guy. You can get a Dash course, CRJ course, Q400 course. There are some of the best people I met working there and when my kids are college age I swear i am going to do some reunion tours. I could go on and on. PM me if you have any specific questions but see my advise below.

DO IT !!!!!!!
cheeers.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

again, go for it,the last post is so true, you see places and meet people that change your life. My perspective on life in Canada changed a lot and almost every day I compare it to some of the places I worked. and if you get stuck in traffic just compare it to other cities you've been in and smile.

dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

My nephew started at voyageur as a flight attended. Worked there for a few years. Built a housing complex in east Timor. Got a job with a Australian company supplying logistic to un support troops. Now logistic manager at Volvo in Sweden
All from job at VAL.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

I would totally do it. I worked for voyageur for years, and quite enjoyed it. I quit because the money wasn’t there anymore. Mostly cause of the UN tax break. Brian Herbert the maint manager is awesome and so is Gary fox the DOM. Good chance to travel and see the world and get paid. I did it for many years! Go for it!

Saha2015
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Saha2015 »

I know this thread is pretty old but I have an interview with Brian Herbert and Gary Fox for overseas role .Ever since I went to school and heard all the stories from professors, this is something I really wanted to do . Hopefully I can nail it .Fingers crossed .

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by -42 »

Interview was a joke about 6 years ago. Money offered was too so declined. Schedule is an abomination and so is getting malaria or being shot at while roasting g in 45 degree shade. Good luck.

Return to “Maintenance”