TSO requirements

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

C140A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: TSO requirements

Post by C140A »

They said that when I mentioned that EAA has an STC to allow Dynon non TSO'd EFIS screens in certified a/c ( C172's etc) then they said " well that doesn't mean you can do that in Canada, we don't recognize all FAA STC's"
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

C140A wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:59 pm They said that when I mentioned that EAA has an STC to allow Dynon non TSO'd EFIS screens in certified a/c ( C172's etc) then they said " well that doesn't mean you can do that in Canada, we don't recognize all FAA STC's"
One difficulty appears to be that it's the existing STC holder that has to apply for familiarization in Canada; so that would be Dynon, or Garmin, or whoever; only they have the proprietary technical data. There's not very much you can do to get a foreign STC accepted as an end user without all the information.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

C140A wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:13 pm Well at first they said no, it has to be TSO'd as per the original certification then when I said the 140 was certified without a radio then they said it would need a STC for any install. When I brought up the amateur build argument they had no explanation. To end it without actually going on the record and reading between the lines they led me to believe that probably there would not be an issue if it came down to it. They also said that US STC's are not all accepted in Canada....I didn't know that.
I would ask them to show me why I need a tso radio, the exact section and paragraph. STD 551 and the two AN's provide the guidance as far as I can tell. I would then ask them about all the KX170 installations still kicking around. And what about audio panels. Think of the children! :lol:

PS You actually talked with a real live person at TC? Wow!

PSS. One thing to keep in mind. A shop or AME might not want to install and certify a non-tso radio. Sometimes you have to take the path of least resistance.

Last edited by torquey401 on Wed May 15, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torquey401
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by torquey401 »

C140A wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:59 pm They said that when I mentioned that EAA has an STC to allow Dynon non TSO'd EFIS screens in certified a/c ( C172's etc) then they said " well that doesn't mean you can do that in Canada, we don't recognize all FAA STC's"
What office is this? Trying to shut you down before even starting. But good on you for digging deeper!

C140A
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by C140A »

I just happened to be at an operators place when TC showed up to do an audit, I took the opportunity to ask these questions. I agree that the stumbling block would be getting a shop or AME to install the non TSO's comm. I would bet anything that once it was installed 90% of AME's would probably sign out an annual without even questioning if the comm was a TSO unit. If you have a look at Aircraft Spruce they have a couple really nice little comms that fit in a 2 1/2 inch panel hole.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

C140A wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 pm photofly,

everything you say makes sense, but then why are non certificated aircraft (experimental) allowed to fly in the same airspace as everyone else with non TSO'd radios?
You hit the nail on the head there, some of these CARS don't make any sense. For example; I can't touch the hydraulic system on my plane but I can change my oil and filter, leave the filter loose, have oil spraying on the engine, have a fire and an engine failure, forced landing etc, etc. whats the worse that can happen if I bugger up something with the hydraulic system? A gear up landing? Ooooh, now there's a life threatening situation.

Return to “Maintenance”