Transport Canada Accreditation

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

runway360
Rank 0
Rank 0

Transport Canada Accreditation

Post by runway360 »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and this is my very first time writing in a forum.

I did Aircraft maintenance engineering from India and only 6 months of work experience in the aircraft maintenance field. Then I came to Canada and studied Aviation Operations at Seneca College, graduated in 2016 April. Now I am working as Ornge Flight Follower with Execaire. When I was looking for an apprenticeship position I realized my Aircraft maintenance studies from India is not valid here and one aircraft technician from Air Transat advised me to do ICS Aircraft mechanics program. I did that program and finished in 2018 October. Since then I have been trying to get into an apprentice position. So far I got only one interview call which was with Westjet and unfortunately, I did not get that job. Recently I applied with Jazz for an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - Structures - Apprentice position and I got the reply after a few weeks saying I am not qualified for the position, with a note in it. The note is exactly as mentioned below

"We recommend that you obtain your Transport Canada Accreditation, as this is a requirement for employment with our company. Please re-apply with us when you have done so."

So could anyone please help me to explain what is this TC Accreditation? How do I obtain it? Someone, please help me with this issue. Thank you very much.
---------- ADS -----------

Regards
Runway360
nine sixteenths
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Transport Canada Accreditation

Post by nine sixteenths »

To get a Canadian AME license you typically have to complete a Transport Canada approved course, which will include all your technical exams. Then you find an apprenticeship position, complete your hours and your tasks logbook, write your CARs exam, then if everything is correct you get issued a license.

You were likely correct that your school from home doesn’t meet the Transport Canada requirements. Unfortunately, ICS seems to go in and out of compliance with Transport Canada and is in and out of approval. You may have taken a course year that was not an approved (accredited) one. It also depends what course you took, you said you applied as an AME -Structures apprentice to Jazz, but if you took an M or an E course You aren’t qualified for that.

I can’t give any more advice beyond at least figure out if the courses you took are approved by TC, and apply for the positions you are actually qualified for and more than just the big names.

This is the link for approved training organizations and programs:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... table.html
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Maintenance”