EASA B1.1 to TC M2

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Dellalii
Rank 0
Rank 0

EASA B1.1 to TC M2

Post by Dellalii »

Hi Folks.
I’ve been asking around about how to obtain Transport Canada AME license, I am a holder of EASA B1.1 and would like to obtain M2 license to work in Canada, so far I’ve reached the point where I know there’s no direct conversion from B1.1 to M2 “please correct me if I’m wrong”. I was wondering if there’s a way to get the license by passing the necessary modules without having to complete the full course and while still working in a EASA approved organisation or if I get a job in a Canadian company in Canada as a mechanic/Technician ? Plus will my experience in a EASA approved organisation counts to get the M2 License or am I required to do everything all over again ?
If I can work as a technician/mechanic and pass the necessary modules to get M2 license, what are the modules that I need to pass and how many months of work experience I’m required to have in order to get it? And is the experience required must be in a Canadian company or is it Ok to get it from an EASA approved company or FAA ?
I appreciate everyones help. Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: EASA B1.1 to TC M2

Post by Heliian »

You'll need to fill out the necessary tasks for M2 category in a booklet or logbook.

As long as it's a civil aircraft and is signed off by a license holder then the experience will count.

There is no easy conversion.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Are you living in Canada? Go see your local TC inspector and deal with them. As stated you will need a Canadian log book for the task sign offs so I don't know if a B1 in an EASA shop or a A&P would sign off on this. Ask the TC person you are dealing with. On the other hand with your experience and B1 there is lots of work in Canada so getting started on the conversion should be quick.

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

Contrary to popular belief on this thread. You don't actually have to fill out a Canadian AME logbook, you merely need a documented record of experience/tasks. Your EASA journal of experience should suffice for many tasks however there will be some tasks that your friendly TC inspector will want signed off. The TC AME logbook is a great place to start to get an idea of what they will want to see, albeit not required. The one I used was available on the TC website.

Expect to have trouble demonstrating the theory training requirements to the satisfaction of TC, course syllabus outlines from your schooling will help.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Choppermech1986 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:24 pm Contrary to popular belief on this thread. You don't actually have to fill out a Canadian AME logbook, you merely need a documented record of experience/tasks. Your EASA journal of experience should suffice for many tasks however there will be some tasks that your friendly TC inspector will want signed off. The TC AME logbook is a great place to start to get an idea of what they will want to see, albeit not required. The one I used was available on the TC website.

Expect to have trouble demonstrating the theory training requirements to the satisfaction of TC, course syllabus outlines from your schooling will help.
Yes, the booklet you download or you can buy a logbook or make your own. As long as you have 70% of the tasks applicable to the type of rating you are seeking filled in and signed out. The CAR's lays out the requirements.

jiajxin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jiajxin »

To answer your question, you will be required to meet the conditions of initial issuance in accordance section 403.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) and section 566.03 of the Airworthiness Manual (AWM). You must demonstrate to Transport Canada that you meet the requirements by providing documented proof such as age, citizenship, training, knowledge, experience and skill.

Please be advised that Canada has no bilateral agreements pertaining to the acceptance of basic training. You will be required to meet our requirements.

Please note that there is no conversion of any maintenance licences in Canada. All applicants must meet the requirements for initial issuance.

Also, please note that we do not accept assessments of education made by World Education Services (WES) towards the basic training requirement.

Here’s a brief overview of the requirements pertaining to the issuance of the Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) licence for applicants who have not successfully completed a Transport Canada approved maintenance basic structured training course with knowledge credit:

26-0638 AME Licence Application Supplement Process

For persons who have successfully completed Basic Training other than TCCA approved (i.e. foreign, military, self-paced, distance learning, etc.)

You must fill out and submit Form 26-0638 along with proof of age, citizenship and training.
Age: You must provide proof of Age and must be at least 21 years of age at the time of issuance of an AME licence.

Citizenship: You must provide proof of citizenship. (e.g. valid passport or valid aviation personnel license showing citizenship of the holder issued by the state of which he/she is a citizen).
Training: You must submit your graduation certificate, together with a syllabus of the training received, a transcript of marks indicated in percentage (e.g. 80%) and a transcript of the theoretical and practical hours of training in each subject area. The training must be applicable to the rating sought.

Note: The AWM Chapter 566.07(1) allows an individual who holds / held during the specified period a valid AME licence conforming to Annex 1 of the ICAO Convention to be eligible for an exemption towards the basic training requirement. An original or certified true copy of the AME licence must be submitted with the application for assessment.
Aircraft type training courses, in full or part, cannot be used to fulfill the basic (structured) training
Requirement.
Knowledge: You will be required to demonstrate that you meet the knowledge criteria through written technical examinations, once your supporting documentation has been assessed as meeting the requirements. Each exam is accompanied by a charge as specified in schedule IV of Part 1, subpart 4 of the CARs.

Note: Technical and Regulatory examinations must be attempted in Canada
24-0083 Application Process

After meeting the knowledge requirement, you will be required to submit form 24-0083, along with supporting documentation establishing that you meet the experience and skill requirements, and successfully complete the regulatory examination.

Experience: In order to meet the experience requirement, you must have acquired the applicable amount of total, specialty, and civil aviation maintenance experience set forth in the Airworthiness Manual (AWM) Chapter 566 Appendix A. This is demonstrated by providing letters of employment which contains:

a. The start and end date of employment, as applicable;
b. Responsibilities in the organization; and
c. Types of aircraft you work/worked on.

Skill: In order to meet the skill requirement, you must have performed a representative selection of eligible maintenance tasks, over the full range of applicable systems and structures. Those tasks being comprised of not less than 70 percent of the items listed in Appendix B of AWM Chapter 566 that are applicable to the rating sought and to the aircraft, systems or components for which the experience is claimed.

Military skill is recognized if work was accomplished on an aircraft that has received an equivalent civil type certificate. However, not less than 10 percent of the overall maintenance tasks claimed must have been performed while working on civil registered aircraft maintained in accordance with civil air regulations.
Regulatory Examination: You must apply using the attached form 24-0083 and pay the applicable fee of 115$ as specified in Schedule IV of Part I, Subpart 4 of the CARs. If you have successfully completed the technical exams and have obtained at least 42 months of experience out of the 48 months total experience, you may apply to attempt the regulatory exam. If you are approved, you will have 12 months to complete the exam. The regulatory exam has a fee of 100$.

However, if you do not successfully complete the skill and experience requirements within 12 months of the initial application date, you will have to resubmit a form 24-0083 and repay the fee of 115$. The application remains valid for 12 months from the date of acceptance by Transport Canada.
Note: All documentation submitted in support of your application for an AME licence are either originals or certified true copies, translated in English or French, and signed by:

a) A notary public or commissioner for oaths;
b) A TC Civil Aviation Safety Inspector/Officer or Administrative (Operational) Support personnel; or
c) The holder of a valid Canadian AME Licence.

*Individuals certifying the documentation are required to indicate their name, region or AME licence number (as applicable) and the date of certification.

AME LICENCE ISSUANCE: After meeting the requirements of age, citizenship, training, knowledge, experience and skill, and have successfully completed the regulatory examination, you will be issued a Canadian AME license for the rating sought.

Useful Links:

Recording form for maintenance tasks accomplished, to prove Skill print from the web page.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... cence.html

Experience Requirement Chart:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 01-262.htm . Refer to Table of Requirements chart.

Maintenance Staff Instruction, MSI 18 - Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) Licensing Procedures
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 8-2683.htm

You may submit your application and supporting documentation at:

Transport Canada
Operational Airworthiness (AARTM)
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0N5

hungdao11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hungdao11 »

EASA B1.1 grants for Aeroplanes Turbine, but M2 licence grants for Turbine engine(s) installed on Aeroplanes and/or Helicopters.

On the ground that, can TC authorities agree to issue M2 licence with limitation: Aeroplanes Turbine Only for those who holding EASA B1.1 licence because it is very difficult to gain more experience on Helicopters?? Can someone please give me an answer?

Thank you in advance!

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

hungdao11 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:38 am EASA B1.1 grants for Aeroplanes Turbine, but M2 licence grants for Turbine engine(s) installed on Aeroplanes and/or Helicopters.

On the ground that, can TC authorities agree to issue M2 licence with limitation: Aeroplanes Turbine Only for those who holding EASA B1.1 licence because it is very difficult to gain more experience on Helicopters?? Can someone please give me an answer?

Thank you in advance!
No.

In the current licensing system there is no grey "licenses with limitations" area.

Its either M1 and/or M2, E, S, or Balloon.

Having said that, I didn't complete any helicopter tasks in my book but was still issued M1/M2.

Honestly easiest way to "convert" is do the ICS course, do the tech exams, get a logbook filled out over a period as a unlicensed technician, then submit your stuff to Transport and they'll determine if it's good or not.

It's gonna take greater than a year.

Our licensing system isn't very sophisticated. Basically it's all or nothing.

Return to “Maintenance”