Regarding AME Shortage

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Regarding AME Shortage

Post by Pacqing »

Seems to be a shortage of experienced guys as per the adds on this site, So what happened? A few years back it was reported the a shortage was coming and the colleges geared up and pumped out the guys,3 or 4 classes a year.
Where are these guys /gals now?
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Regarding AME Shortage

Post by YYCAME »

If you don't hire apprentices then it's hard to turn graduates into an AME and I don't know if there has been much demand for apprentices or if said apprentices are being given the opportunity to progress in a timely manner. Air Canada has pretty much given up on apprentices in favor of the co-op program for example because it tailors people to its specific needs with less risk. I'm not sure how cost effective companies consider apprentices these days.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

Back in the day, Air Canada had the ability to hire untrained junior mechanics and train them in house all the way to fully licensed. This basic training program was dismantled many years ago. Now they have to beat the bushes to find good guys with experience.
The shortage of experienced AME's is primarily because of people like me who have left the industry due to the mediocre pay relative to the level of responsibility,and poor working conditions, and moved on to other trades that provide a higher quality of life. As an M1/M2 with 25 years experience, none of the jobs I see advertised hold much appeal for me. The vast majority still require 24/7 availability,midnight shifts, etc. I predict that employers will recruit more and more foreign workers to fill the perceived shortage, rather than improve wages and working conditions to entice experienced AME's to come back. In my immediate social circle, there are 3 highly experienced M1/M2 AME's who have left the industry and not looked back. I'd be curious to know how many there are country wide.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

BMLtech wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:09 am Back in the day, Air Canada had the ability to hire untrained junior mechanics and train them in house all the way to fully licensed. This basic training program was dismantled many years ago. Now they have to beat the bushes to find good guys with experience.
The shortage of experienced AME's is primarily because of people like me who have left the industry due to the mediocre pay relative to the level of responsibility,and poor working conditions, and moved on to other trades that provide a higher quality of life. As an M1/M2 with 25 years experience, none of the jobs I see advertised hold much appeal for me. The vast majority still require 24/7 availability,midnight shifts, etc. I predict that employers will recruit more and more foreign workers to fill the perceived shortage, rather than improve wages and working conditions to entice experienced AME's to come back. In my immediate social circle, there are 3 highly experienced M1/M2 AME's who have left the industry and not looked back. I'd be curious to know how many there are country wide.

There’s only a few thousand total. And as for guys like me? Helicopter ames I’m pretty sure it’s <500 total and even less still active. This industry has gone down the drain since 2008. It’s a F’n shame man, what are you doing now? I’m 16 years in and likely out for good after this COVID19 lol

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

I've been in this for almost 35 years now, and this is the worst I've seen it. I don't see a recovery anytime soon. If there was someplace else to go, I'd take it and not look back.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

I have worked all over Canada and the world fixing aircraft. I have done start ups, rescues, consulting ect..

In my opinion there’s a shortage of highly skilled not lazy AMES. Certain provinces produce better AMES. I find in sask, alberta it’s more of a farm mentality and lots of oppies happen from the GET ER DUN attitude. But there more likely to tackle a big job then say ONT / BC Ames if they haven’t done it before.

Like YYCAME said they need to train these guys.

Even doing overseas startups I found there were a lot of fake it till you make it type Ames. One AME had the endorsement and 25 years at bombardier yet didn’t know you had to move the thrust lever forward to start the engine. He said he was a global express ame? lol I dunno. Guy always loaded the parts cannon and couldn’t troubleshoot electrical snags.

Everything takes time! But I believe after covid is gone the shortage will be worst!

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Dash8-400 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 am I have worked all over Canada and the world fixing aircraft. I have done start ups, rescues, consulting ect..

In my opinion there’s a shortage of highly skilled not lazy AMES. Certain provinces produce better AMES. I find in sask, alberta it’s more of a farm mentality and lots of oppies happen from the GET ER DUN attitude. But there more likely to tackle a big job then say ONT / BC Ames if they haven’t done it before.

Like YYCAME said they need to train these guys.

Even doing overseas startups I found there were a lot of fake it till you make it type Ames. One AME had the endorsement and 25 years at bombardier yet didn’t know you had to move the thrust lever forward to start the engine. He said he was a global express ame? lol I dunno. Guy always loaded the parts cannon and couldn’t troubleshoot electrical snags.

Everything takes time! But I believe after covid is gone the shortage will be worst!
Ya and by the time it’s “gone” a large part of the industry will have either heavily modified or disappeared. This is going to take several years to sort out.

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

There’s only a few thousand total. And as for guys like me? Helicopter ames I’m pretty sure it’s <500 total and even less still active. This industry has gone down the drain since 2008. It’s a F’n shame man, what are you doing now? I’m 16 years in and likely out for good after this COVID19 lol
[/quote]

I built my own shop, now work on pretty much everything other than airplanes. Mostly automotive and powersports. No shortage of work for ethical mechanics with wide skill sets obtained in aviation. Auto repair industry is full of scammers, once people find a mechanic they can trust, they hang on tight. I had a background in automotive and small engine repair as a hobby forever. I know other guys who got gigs as elevator techs and never looked back. One guy bought his own boom truck, other guy runs a very successful sewer and water excavating company. Being an AME is a great starting point for many non-aviation careers, many shrewd employers will recognize your skill sets if not your qualifications.
My buddy has 33 years in at AC, now laid off, right before he got his retirement numbers. What a kick in the nuts.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

BMLtech wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 pm There’s only a few thousand total. And as for guys like me? Helicopter ames I’m pretty sure it’s <500 total and even less still active. This industry has gone down the drain since 2008. It’s a F’n shame man, what are you doing now? I’m 16 years in and likely out for good after this COVID19 lol
I built my own shop, now work on pretty much everything other than airplanes. Mostly automotive and powersports. No shortage of work for ethical mechanics with wide skill sets obtained in aviation. Auto repair industry is full of scammers, once people find a mechanic they can trust, they hang on tight. I had a background in automotive and small engine repair as a hobby forever. I know other guys who got gigs as elevator techs and never looked back. One guy bought his own boom truck, other guy runs a very successful sewer and water excavating company. Being an AME is a great starting point for many non-aviation careers, many shrewd employers will recognize your skill sets if not your qualifications.
My buddy has 33 years in at AC, now laid off, right before he got his retirement numbers. What a kick in the nuts.
[/quote]

AME’s that put their best foot forward are for a large part very talented, intelligent, resourceful, creative technicians. I agree that it’s a good trade to get a solid foundation in a large diversity of skill that can be applied to other trades. I have done it myself, became a Red Seal Heavy duty, and got sucked back into helicopters again 🤦🏼‍♂️. Lots of friends I know that have been in this racket 15-40 years are off right now and will either retire or outright change careers and not look back. The last 12 years have been crap and none better than the next. As for your buddy at AC that’s terrible and I wish him the best as he only likely hung in long enough for the pension.

wannecke
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wannecke »

How can anyone say that.
I know that dozens of fellow AMEs like myself are starving to go to work (at an NOT reduced wage).

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Dash8-400 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 amCertain provinces produce better AMES. I find in sask, alberta it’s more of a farm mentality and lots of oppies happen from the GET ER DUN attitude. But there more likely to tackle a big job then say ONT / BC Ames if they haven’t done it before.
What a load of crap. I went to school with these types and the fuckups that happened because of the Zip Ties N Bias Plies mentality were endless sources of entertainment..
mostly because they were on dead aircraft and nobody got hurt. All because they thought their years of working on CASE tractors and MOPAR garbage actually meant something.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

wannecke wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:59 am How can anyone say that.
I know that dozens of fellow AMEs like myself are starving to go to work (at an NOT reduced wage).
Unfortunately, once you've been at the top of the AME pay scale, the only way to go is down.

If I was starving, I'd be hitting the road again looking for work, try to find a touring job or even move somewhere else for work. It wouldn't be easy but you need to adapt to changing conditions.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

iflyforpie wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:36 am
Dash8-400 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 amCertain provinces produce better AMES. I find in sask, alberta it’s more of a farm mentality and lots of oppies happen from the GET ER DUN attitude. But there more likely to tackle a big job then say ONT / BC Ames if they haven’t done it before.
What a load of crap. I went to school with these types and the fuckups that happened because of the Zip Ties N Bias Plies mentality were endless sources of entertainment..
mostly because they were on dead aircraft and nobody got hurt. All because they thought their years of working on CASE tractors and MOPAR garbage actually meant something.
Agreed. A couple folks in my class were treating aircraft like a friggin' combine.

Good for a laugh indeed at the time. I am just hoping that they've gained a bit more finesse in the last few years in the Industry.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

I didn’t see that in schooling unfortunately. The school weeds out these kinds of people by year two anyways. I went to canadore and these farm type people didn’t make it through!

Just making mention of what I see in the field and I have worked with a bunch of Ames from all over since I contract. I’ve mostly worked on 705 type aircraft so maybe the smaller sh@t is different.

wannecke
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wannecke »

If you were a 20-year-old kid looking for your purpose in life, stability so you can buy a home and get married, and something to be proud of - would you go into aviation? I did exactly that, 25 years ago.

Today I do not advise this anymore. Like in the past you are most likely going to be working night shifts, but the pay is brutal when you consider how easily you could send passengers to heaven if you screw up. The most you could hope for is being a crew chief after 10 years or so, but still a tool guy in steel-toe boots. This is all the bad of it. The good news is that you are in a job that is never the same, most likely with like-minded folks, and all of you make a miserable living but it is fun.

My woman's boys are bombarding me and made efforts to enter the AME trade and have pulled right out of it after learning about our job losses, cut wages, and how insecure this industry has made us feel in the last 6 months. One company in Abbotsford advertised to fill AME positions (licensed) at 22.50 per hour. You decide if you rather do security for 19.00 and go home to have a life.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

wannecke wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:26 pm If you were a 20-year-old kid looking for your purpose in life, stability so you can buy a home and get married, and something to be proud of - would you go into aviation? I did exactly that, 25 years ago.

Today I do not advise this anymore. Like in the past you are most likely going to be working night shifts, but the pay is brutal when you consider how easily you could send passengers to heaven if you screw up. The most you could hope for is being a crew chief after 10 years or so, but still a tool guy in steel-toe boots. This is all the bad of it. The good news is that you are in a job that is never the same, most likely with like-minded folks, and all of you make a miserable living but it is fun.

My woman's boys are bombarding me and made efforts to enter the AME trade and have pulled right out of it after learning about our job losses, cut wages, and how insecure this industry has made us feel in the last 6 months. One company in Abbotsford advertised to fill AME positions (licensed) at 22.50 per hour. You decide if you rather do security for 19.00 and go home to have a life.
That is an not uncommon thing to happen. $22.50:hr is like less than a first year apprentice in heavy duty ffs

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I see contract wages being offered at $35 per hour. I'm wondering if any contractors have taken this on. Things were slow due covid and I'm hopeful contract work will pick up. Can we have some input from contractors.

DHC 678
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DHC 678 »

Well if you are a AME contractor buckle up
Rates/agencies were issue pre covid now it is ripe for race to the bottom, supply and demand with a large amount of workforce available from mainline and regional carriers ,agencies can cut rates to get people who are on CEWB as they are using it to supplement their income and in addition they are local so no travel/ accommodation/Per Diem

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Pacqing wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 am I see contract wages being offered at $35 per hour. I'm wondering if any contractors have taken this on. Things were slow due covid and I'm hopeful contract work will pick up. Can we have some input from contractors.
I wouldn’t get out of bed for that rate, what a shame

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

BMLtech wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:02 pm There’s only a few thousand total. And as for guys like me? Helicopter ames I’m pretty sure it’s <500 total and even less still active. This industry has gone down the drain since 2008. It’s a F’n shame man, what are you doing now? I’m 16 years in and likely out for good after this COVID19 lol

[/quote]

How did that work out? That’s a great idea as dealerships etc gouge hard. What region did you do this and is it still paying off?

Return to “Maintenance”