Getting Fired.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AMEapp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting Fired.

Post by AMEapp »

Hello All.

I am facing a crisis in my career as an AME apprentice and I need some advice if anyone willing to share.

I was recently let go from a company after being with them for two years. The fault was mine. The last few months of my employment I was not able to be commit to my career due to personal family commitment and I tried to juggle both and ended up placing my career as secondary priority. Over the periods of the last few months of my employment, my attitude became negative and that impaired my focus. I worked with many experienced AME, who were able to sense that and that raised red flags. Another fault was that I should have left the company if I was not able to perform 100%. I lacked perception of my then-current situation.

After being let go I spent considerable amount of time reflecting. And now I am ready to be committed to this field. I learned many lessons from this experience which I am confident will make me a far better mechanic. I want to continue my apprenticeship. I had an interview recently in which I was close to getting hired, yet, after I mentioned my previous termination, I didn't get a call back. I cant help but feel discouraged but I do not want to give up.

Falsifying my experience is not an option. If anyone can shed any light on what I mentioned along with any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Getting Fired.

Post by flying4dollars »

Hey bud,

First of all, these things happen. Remember your personal life should always be prioritized ahead of your career. This may mean consequences as you found out, but that shouldn't change your priorities. You learned the balance lesson so going forward, you'll be better prepared should you be in that position again. Life's about learning experiences, so take it in stride for better or worse.

Secondly, whatever you do, do not be discouraged by future employment opportunities like the one you mentioned, should they not work out. It may very well be for a different reason than you think. One thing you'll come to learn, is that the right employer will likely question your termination, and if its a valid excuse, will hopefully overlook it if you're the right fit for them.

Good luck!

Last edited by flying4dollars on Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

What Flying4$ said...

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

You will get through this it happens more often than you think. Did they give you a cause for dismissal? Did you get proper severance for notice? You are entitled to those things. Aviation employers can be ruthless and use employees to set a tone for others in a situation like that “set an example to the others”.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

You will get through this it happens more often than you think. Did they give you a cause for dismissal? Did you get proper severance for notice? You are entitled to that...

Last edited by PitchLink on Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

AMEapp wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:03 am Over the periods of the last few months of my employment, my attitude became negative and that impaired my focus. I worked with many experienced AME, who were able to sense that and that raised red flags. Another fault was that I should have left the company if I was not able to perform 100%. I lacked perception of my then-current situation.
If you find yourself in this situation again - go to your boss and explain what is going on. Ask for help.

Then you can work together on a solution. In this case some time off to sort out your personal situation would have probably have saved your job.

I would suggest discussing this openly with potential future employers. Acknowledge your mistakes and emphasise that you have learned from this experience. This can happen to all of us.

Good luck with your job search.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Im assuming you talked to your previous employer and explained to them what you just explained to us?

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Ditto what the others said.
Being a service based company owner myself, I'd be more apt to hire someone who admitted a mistake and owned it rather than someone who tried to blame it on everyone else. My customers also understand that accidents and mistakes are going to happen. They just want to know it's going to be identified and resolved accordingly. Sometimes that involves eating crow but those customers will respect you a lot more and be customers for life.
As well, not every employee or employer is going to be the right fit for each other. Acknowledging that and moving on is the best for both parties.

Dash8-400
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash8-400 »

Fixing aircraft takes your 100% focus and attention as you can’t pullover on the side of the road to fix it, that being said sorry to hear about your situation. Especially at this time.

did they follow protocol to fire you? You said you spent 2 years there. So they should need 3 letters on your file to fire you or if the f up was big enough they put you back on probation then fire you. Was your dismissal legit? I know a lot of more bush companies don’t follow protocol.

Second just be honest with your next employer and you’ll be fine. Ask your colleagues if they know anyone hiring or can vouch for you also.

Return to “Maintenance”