Apprentice without school? Can it happen?

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

fonzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Apprentice without school? Can it happen?

Post by fonzy »

The wait list locally is getting longer by the day and now with the entry requirements changing here in Saskatoon its not looking good . Does anyone know of any place that would take on a hard working 42 year old with some mechanical background? My goal was never go the big bird airline route . My heart is with piston stuff but that might be a far fetch dream . Any help would be great many thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Apprentice without school? Can it happen?

Post by Heliian »

It CAN happen but it would be recommended to supplement yourself with some part time training like stevenson college.

Going to an accredited school gives you experience credit towards the apprenticeship. You have to do more time without the schooling, the full 4 years.

Mightymite
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mightymite »

School is nice but at the present time I have 2 apprentices takeing the ICS Course and they are awsome.
I have a SAIT apprentice and a Northern Lights college apprentice that have both written their exams and
at the present time putting in their 2 years
The ICS boys outshine the school boys in every aspect.
So at your age go the ICS route .
Just my opinion.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Mightymite wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:41 pm School is nice but at the present time I have 2 apprentices takeing the ICS Course and they are awsome.
I have a SAIT apprentice and a Northern Lights college apprentice that have both written their exams and
Just my opinion.
If they went to an accredited college, there is only 1 exam required, along with the experience requirement to get a license. There would be no reason to write the CAR's exam until the apprenticeship time is nearing an end.

ICS, you need to write all of the exams and still have the same amount of time to wait before being eligible to get a license.

ICS has the advantage of being able to work for the whole time, making a few dollars along the way and is an advantage for employers as they can "mold" you to how they do things, whether that's good or bad depends on where you work.

fonzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fonzy »

Mightymite wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:41 pm School is nice but at the present time I have 2 apprentices takeing the ICS Course and they are awsome.
Just my opinion.

Just signed up today , and have been taking some basic courses thru our local museum that offers a learning centre , ill do everything i can wish me luck

Return to “Maintenance”