AME Apprenticeship Opportunities in Winnipeg/St. Andrew's

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

IsaiahSki
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Apprenticeship Opportunities in Winnipeg/St. Andrew's

Post by IsaiahSki »

If I may, I just wish to ask if anyone in this forum knows which companies in Winnipeg/St. Andrew's would be good to apprentice with.

I received my PPL last year and am looking to attempt to get the AME 'M' License through an apprenticeship and Red River College while continuing work on my flight training.

I understand Harv's Air (where I took the training) has apprentices and may very well see if I can work for them. But, I was wondering if anyone knows good companies that qualify as AMO's with whom I could also apprentice with.

I am quite unaware of many things, so I wished to ask someone who has gone before me and knows more than I do.

Thank you very much, and I appreciate any help anyone can give, regardless of whether you are from around where I live or not.
---------- ADS -----------

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AME Apprenticeship Opportunities in Winnipeg/St. Andrew's

Post by edmanster »

First thing you do not do is - "promote the PPL" when striving for a mechanic opportunity.
These days when jobs are a bit sketchy - Any business that will hire and train you will eventually want to compensate for their 'investment' by your future productivity. For their first year you will be mostly be a burden to them, low skills, no tools, low experience. Why invest in a person if here today - gone tomorrow.

Being a Piloting today is not a hobby (like 20 years ago) - it only suggests that this person has a desire to get his commercial Pilots pilot and move on. So when u mention Pilot - the company owner hears '... some guy treading time until pilot opportunity opens up' .. so why would i invest in this guy when there are many others who will make a career of being a mechanic instead. Pick a side - Pilot - Mechanic sounds sexy: but very few are good at both.

Blackdog0301
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blackdog0301 »

+1

IsaiahSki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IsaiahSki »

Indeed. I had kind of started thinking as much. Thank you for that. We will see.

Would you say, then, that it may be better to take the two-year diploma course that RRC offers and work the next two years for the license instead?
I enjoy the thought of an apprenticeship, but I am realizing that may be a bit more difficult than I thought if I am more intending to be the pilot.
I understand very much the hesitancy of a company to hire someone, and invest in them, when they will just leave after they have the license.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Nothing wrong with expanding your bounds. I, myself started off as a pilot & swerved off toward the mechanical & non-flying career.
It took me a while to understand .. one day the boss pulled me aside ..
- old time mechanics don't want to be stepped on by some 100 hour wonder. Lots of these guys (old school mechs) got to their positions by spending many hours freezing & working late into the night, sucking paint fumes; & getting paid peanuts more times then naught. & in in the morning crapped on by the first flight pilot asking why the handrails had grease stains .. or interior had not been vacuumed out.
Just leave the 'pilot' part out of the conversation .. u love aircraft & love mechanical ! Just stick to these lines in the job interview.

Or if piloting is your primary direction .. stick to being a 'ramp rat' - dock hand or swamper to the pilot. This will also bring you closer to the flying & provide good experience dealing with cargo & passengers. You will learn how to use a forklift & avoid making holes into the sides of fuselages; install & remove seats & bulkheads, All valuable lessons! No tech school course will add to your credibility more than installing wing covers in a wind-storm, washing airplanes, cleaning up cabin puke, or spilling a honey-pot on the ramp! relay these experiences to the Ops Mgr during the interview - music to his ears!

There was a time (mid-90s) when pilot-mechanic was the enviable job (-especially in Helicopters) .. but quickly everybody realized that companies that hire pilot-mechanics are usually too cheap to hire a full-time anything & most likely you will end up getting paid for neither. After a 13 hour day in the cockpit - how confident will you be that you installed that cotter-pin at 4AM .. or after working most of the night replacing the magneto .. you can look forward now to a busy 10 hour flying day in the hot sun ! congrats to being a pilot-mech! (& may you survive the season!)

IsaiahSki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IsaiahSki »

Thank you again, edmanster. Once more very helpful. Thanks.

I'll ask one more question: respond if you wish...
If I hope to be working with small planes, float/ski planes, Otters and Beavers, 206's, and the like, would you say it would be valuable or not to work on those in the apprenticeship?
I am kind of trying to look around for a company like that. I know they're around, but I do feel like I'm in the wrong geographic location for what I might be interested in (in the middle of Winnipeg). There are some companies that fly Metros and things like that out of the Winnipeg Airport whom I may work with. Still looking around. The flight school I fly at works on their own 152s and 172s: that might work the best, but I have to see if they will take me. I may just work on the ground for them or work on the ground for a small float company in the same airport (St. Andrew's).
Yeah, just looking around. Lots to learn, that's for sure. Thanks again for your help.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

If you are perusing the flying end of the business ..
Flying schools is undoubtedly your best opportunity. Obtain your commercial & then your instructors rating.
As you work on your IFR - you will have an opportunity to get some flt hours & $$$ dealing with students. Most flying schools are always in search of instructors & since u have committed your private & commercial with them .. they know you .. & will certainly hire you when they can. I have overheard several backroom conversations where flying school owners used to laugh at job applications from potential instructors asking for a job .. whilst they had previously completed all their licenses & rating at the school next door! Use this as bargaining chip as well .. pick a school that seems serious about hiring in-house students - you will be spending thousands $$ with them .. does this also include a job after the instructors rating?
There will be opportunities for additional hours doing test flights for the mech / moving aircraft around the area / Winnipeg-St.Andrews, etc

Some flying schools also have Charter certification to fly people & cargo. Pick a school that may have this potential - Cargo delivery seems to be the future of flying - delivery of parcels to remote villages or towns. ... and flying school Cessnas are the most cost effective way of doing that.

IsaiahSki
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by IsaiahSki »

That is good.
Thank you very much for all your help.

Return to “Maintenance”