Annual Inspection

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Annual Inspection

Post by ahramin »

Is an annual inspection due the day of the last one, or the end of the month?
Maintenance Schedules - Quick Reference Chart

Small aircraft = Appendix B, Part I @ 12 months + Appendix C
---------- ADS -----------

groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Annual Inspection

Post by groncher »

CAR 625.86
a) As applicable to the type of aircraft, at intervals not to expire later than the last day of the 12th month, following the preceding inspection, Part I and Part II of the Maintenance Schedule detailed in Appendix B of these standards are approved by the Minister for use on other than large aircraft, turbine-powered pressurized aeroplanes, airships, any aeroplane or helicopter operated by a flight training unit under CAR 406, or any aircraft operated by air operators under CAR Part VII.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

You're too fast! I just found it and was coming to post it.

Thank you.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

I asked my AME the same thing. I was advised the same with a BUT.

BUT ADs are not treated as such. So if you extend your annual to the end of the month, but have a 12 month muffler AD, then you are over running your AD.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Adam Oke wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:00 amBUT ADs are not treated as such. So if you extend your annual to the end of the month, but have a 12 month muffler AD, then you are over running your AD.
I've heard this as well.

futurebushpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by futurebushpilot »

And what happens if you don't get the annual done within the time limit? Asking because I've owned a 150G for less than a year, and it's coming up on its due date. I'm overseas and not keen on coming back to three days of hotel quarantine and a bill for 2k. So, curious as to repercussions associated with an overdue annual.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

futurebushpilot wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:42 am And what happens if you don't get the annual done within the time limit? Asking because I've owned a 150G for less than a year, and it's coming up on its due date. I'm overseas and not keen on coming back to three days of hotel quarantine and a bill for 2k. So, curious as to repercussions associated with an overdue annual.
You can't fly it until it's done.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Maintenance Schedule
605.86 (1) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall conduct a take-off in an aircraft, or permit a take-off to be conducted in an aircraft that is in the person’s legal custody and control, unless the aircraft is maintained in accordance with

(a) a maintenance schedule that conforms to the Aircraft Equipment and Maintenance Standards; and

(b) where the aircraft is operated under Subpart 6 of Part IV or under Part VII, or is a large aircraft, a turbine-powered pressurized aircraft or an airship, a maintenance schedule approved by the Minister in respect of the aircraft operator pursuant to subsection (2).
It doesn't say anything about owning one sitting on the ground, just one taking off.

EAA is doing a webinar on this in a couple weeks with emphasis on Canadian rules:

http://pages.eaa.org/WBN2021-02-24Owner ... ation.html

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You can get a flight permit to take it for an annual, if you need to fly it somewhere. It costs something like $50 and you need a form signed by an AME that the plane is safe for flight. But not if there are outstanding ADs. They must be up to date.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
futurebushpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by futurebushpilot »

Thanks for the replies.

moniga
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by moniga »

Hi all,

Annual inspection Q, I had it in my head that an annual inspection can be completed up to 90 days early and still retain its original12 renewal date. Am I making this up?

Looked through CARS and C185 service manual. MSA doesn't specify anything about it either.

Can anyone offer any knowledge on this.

Thanks in advance, M

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You are making it up: there’s no 90 day rule. This isn’t a problem with the inspection, because of the end of the month rule, but there’s no way around the issue with any annual airworthiness directives that either have to be done electively more than once per year, or else work their way inexorably earlier and earlier each year.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
geneticistx
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by geneticistx »

there is currently a notice for covid extending the annual by 10%.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

But to use it, you need to have the aircraft inspected and signed off by an AME before the expiration of the previous annual inspection, so it’s a completely useless extension.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

The 90 day rule is for renewal of PPC and ratings.

moniga
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by moniga »

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

photofly wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:22 pm But to use it, you need to have the aircraft inspected and signed off by an AME before the expiration of the previous annual inspection, so it’s a completely useless extension.

The exemption allows a tolerance for a maintenance task to be applied to small private aircraft just like an identical aircraft operated commercially under an approved MSA with allowed tolerances, something the CAR’s do not allow. When a tolerance is applied to a commercial aircraft the AME doesn’t do all the work required, he simply certifies the aircraft is capable of safe operation for the additional hours/days the tolerance allows. The whole point of the tolerance is so you don’t have to do the work immediately and you can safely delay it for a short period.

Google

Interim Changes to Small Private Aircraft Maintenance Schedule Tolerance and Deviation Requests Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic

This guidance document provides more details. FYI the validity period has been extended to Dec 2021

Remember however, just like commercial aircraft there is no tolerance for AD’s so some level of work will be required before the end of the current annual time/ hour limit, just not the whole annual inspection

Return to “Maintenance”