AD research for private A/C

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

AD research for private A/C

Post by shaynemarshallporath »

I am going to vent here on Avcanada about AD research !

Why is it that most private owners ( and their AMEs ) do not have a COMPLETE AD research history, showing ALL relevant AD s and answering each one as to whether it is N/A, 1 time, recurring due at ___ TTSN etc? Why are AME s out there not doing the right thing and doing a full search then carving it on stone and affixing it to the Tech log? I must research the entire history of the plane ( 80+% of them ) when there is no tabulation of all ads answered? Instead of 5 minutes, it is hours of research.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: AD research for private A/C

Post by photofly »

Um... because it’s hours of research?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Ignorance mostly. The owner hasn't figured it out for themselves and no one has taught them any better. As for the AME, it's not their responsibility.

Just curious, why do you care? How is this a problem for you?

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

How do you search for AD's?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

Awesome..thanks

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

Just curious, why do you care? How is this a problem for you?
Because on the last 3 A/C i did annuals, There was no detailed research AND I found Ads due that were 20+years old ! That makes AME s look incompetent in general and my job harder specifically ! Its like seeing HARDENED flex hoses 1700 hrs and 39 years old in an engine compartment . Also, when Ads are "done" they are at times not specific in what exactly was done and IF there is reqd recurrence. This is incompetence

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It’s not an AMEs responsibility to research ADs, only to do the maintenance requested by the customer. If there are historic ADs outstanding, blame the owner.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

Of course we all and the neighbours dog know that the owner is responsible for ADs but almost every owner delegates this responsibility to the AME, most times without proper authorization, communication or an understanding of what is involved! I have NEVER come across an owner who has shown any more than a passing interest in ADs nor have I EVER heard of an owner tabulating a complete list of possible Ads and answering each one , let alone looking into SBs etc. I have NEVER seen a statement attesting : "to the best of my abilities, I have researched all possible ADs from ___ to ___ ( date ) and have answered each Ad as to its applicability.... Signature and lic. #

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Ok now I'm really not getting it. I thought you were a broker or something.

Are you telling me you are an AME? An owner cannot delegate responsibility to an AME, but they can certainly delegate the work to you. How much do you charge per hour to research ADs and create an AD history?

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

If there are historic ADs outstanding, blame the owner.
Why would i put myself in an adverse relationship with a customer?

Here is a reply, today, from a first time customer that i have never met before and who doesn't know me when i sent an inspection (snag) report to him:
"Excellent news!
You have done a very thorough inspection which I have been wanting, but never getting, for 12 years.
Once you have all the facts, let’s have a serious discussion on the path forward. I understand this is probably not a quick turnaround, but look forward to your recommendations."
And:
Please continue your thorough inspection.
Safety and good facts are the most important to me, not the cheapest annual.
Thanks Shayne.
Whether the customer pays $1000 or $120000 for an annual, they ought to fly away assured that they were in the driver's seat, fully knowledgeable and in agreement on the work needed/done and competent that a thorough inspection on the annual/Ad research was done that would greatly minimize the possibility of loss or harm.

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

An owner cannot delegate responsibility to an AME, but they can certainly delegate the work to you. How much do you charge per hour to research ADs and create an AD history?
I am responsible for doing the Ad research, when the owner delegates it to me. Does that sound better for you ?

I charge $50.00 / Hr. for ALL paperwork and $80.00 / Hr for AME services The less time i spend on research, the more time i can spend on fixing things to make it safer, for the same bottom line $$$

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

shaynemarshallporath wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm
An owner cannot delegate responsibility to an AME, but they can certainly delegate the work to you. How much do you charge per hour to research ADs and create an AD history?
I am responsible for doing the Ad research, when the owner delegates it to me. Does that sound better for you ?
Not really, if the owner delegates the AD research to you and you miss one, the fine or licence suspension would go to the owner/pilot since that's who is responsible regardless of who did it.
shaynemarshallporath wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 pm I charge $50.00 / Hr. for ALL paperwork and $80.00 / Hr for AME services The less time i spend on research, the more time i can spend on fixing things to make it safer, for the same bottom line $$$
So if I bring you an aircraft for inspection, you'd prefer I do the AD work myself instead of paying you to do it? Seems like a strange way to run a business but if it's working for you that's great.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

And lest I seem flippant about your concerns, let me say that good AMEs are getting hard to find in BC so thank you for what you do Shayne. Our planes cannot fly without you and your hard work and professionalism are very much appreciated.

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

So if I bring you an aircraft for inspection, you'd prefer I do the AD work myself instead of paying you to do it? Seems like a strange way to run a business but if it's working for you that's great.
I would prefer that the 50 yr old A/C has an up to date Ad research list ( like within the last 5 yrs ) Is it not the owners responsibility as many would want to point out? Turning wrenches is at 80/hr,,,, paperwork is at $50/hr. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where I make more $$ and what is more valuable to the owner and also, don't most AMEs prefer doing stuff instead of pushing pen at a desk? Paperwork is needed and an integral part of a safe operation, BUT a pen doesn't do oil changes and fix snags to make things safer!

Another example : An owner brings in a plane for annual just after a wash and detail, I keep my hands clean, can inspect without trying to find where the holes in the seat rails or engine is and dont waste $250.00 just to be able to clearly inspect the A/C.

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

so thank you for what you do Shayne.
Your welcome !

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

shaynemarshallporath wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:31 pm
If there are historic ADs outstanding, blame the owner.
Why would i put myself in an adverse relationship with a customer?
I'm not sure, but that appeared to be the tone you took in your first post in the thread!

I've never met an AME that charges less for paperwork than for using a wrench. Have you considered charging *more* for AD research? You're good at it - better than most AMEs (on the evidence) - and you plainly have customers who are grateful for the attention.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I would prefer that the 50 yr old A/C has an up to date Ad research list ( like within the last 5 yrs )
There won't be many AD's in 5 years.....that should not take hours and hours. That 50 year old airplane will have 1 or more green books. All A'D's are recorded there....so I don't get what your going on about??

shaynemarshallporath
Rank 1
Rank 1

There won't be many AD's in 5 years.....that should not take hours and hours.
That's right it would take minutes!

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

So.....you dont look in the green book?

I've never run into an airplane where I had to do hours and hours of research. Maybe an hour at the most. All ad's are recorded somewhere. Even during an import the majority are recorded...but that can be a different beast anyways as suspect entries are usually covered during the inspections anyways.

You sound incredibly bitter.....you must gave had a bad week.

Return to “Maintenance”