Maintenaince Costs For Cessna 172s

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mike132.7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Maintenaince Costs For Cessna 172s

Post by mike132.7 »

Hi Wonderful AMEs, just like to get some insights on the yearly costs you would spend for 172 maintenainces. We are looking to buy and a M modle or P model, any differences in the costs between these two? I know they are similar, but dont know if you professionals know more about the details in terms of the parts.
---------- ADS -----------

Found
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Maintenaince Costs For Cessna 172s

Post by Found »

I have heard of annuals on 172's costing between $800 to $2000 plus parts and no snags. I would talk to a couple of shops and find someone you can work with. We have maintained some airplanes that previously had $800 annuals because the owner friends annuals all cost more. There is a reason an annual is $800 and I would prefer an annual that cost more and things were getting fixed.

hangarline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hangarline »

You should expect to pay for 25-30 hours of labour plus parts for an annual inspection if it is the first time an AME or AMO is looking at it. (add 3-5 hours to create an AD compliance report if one doesn't exist) The hourly rate varies from one shop to the next, so the total labour cost is variable. Parts for an "M" or "P" model are similar for most of the aircraft, but there are some differences. It really depends on what needs replacing. The usual wear items like brakes, tires, oil, filters etc. are priced the same. The following year, if you stay with the same AME or shop, then your labour cost should go down slightly. This is because a history is created between the AME and the aircraft. For example, if you have your wheel bearings inspected and repacked with grease on this annual, then only fly 30 hours in the year, off asphalt, and keep the aircraft in a hangar, they should not require to be done again the following year. But again, if it is the first time an AME is looking at that aircraft, they will (or should be) thorough enough that it may seem excessive to you. I would be more concerned with the amount of time spent doing the annual inspection than the total cost. If somebody tells you they can do the inspection in one day on the weekend, proceed with caution.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Happily, well cared for later 172's don't consume a lot of Cessna parts. They will consume consumables, and those are usually available from more cost competitive sources. You may need some engine parts, again more than one source. Be wary of Cessna parts, some prices seem to be rising, perhaps on a "what the market will bear" policy.

Airplanes are very much a "cost you some now, or lots later" machine. You're better to approach engine and airframe with a view to proactively maintaining, rather than reactively fixing. If the AME says it should be done, it shouldn't wait for next year's annual inspection. Don't approach aircraft maintenance with a "how little will it cost?" approach, but rather "what's it worth to me to not have a snag while away from home, and what's it worth to me not to have to fix a bigger problem next year?" approach.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

You can see example annual inspection rates here:

http://www.vicair.net/flat-rate-inspections.html

I think this is roughly what you'll pay at most places. Of course, it doesn't include parts or fixing anything that has broken, which usually costs another few thousand a year.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 pm You can see example annual inspection rates here:

I think this is roughly what you'll pay at most places. Of course, it doesn't include parts or fixing anything that has broken, which usually costs another few thousand a year.
$1475 + parts + 2% shop supplies fee + tax.

That sounds about right. I never understood why some people put shop supplies as a separate line item though.

mike132.7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mike132.7 »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:57 pm Happily, well cared for later 172's don't consume a lot of Cessna parts. They will consume consumables, and those are usually available from more cost competitive sources. You may need some engine parts, again more than one source. Be wary of Cessna parts, some prices seem to be rising, perhaps on a "what the market will bear" policy.

Airplanes are very much a "cost you some now, or lots later" machine. You're better to approach engine and airframe with a view to proactively maintaining, rather than reactively fixing. If the AME says it should be done, it shouldn't wait for next year's annual inspection. Don't approach aircraft maintenance with a "how little will it cost?" approach, but rather "what's it worth to me to not have a snag while away from home, and what's it worth to me not to have to fix a bigger problem next year?" approach.
Yes, I kinda figured that out from the AME at my school, they were saying you alwasy have to prepare the money for the maintenaince, and then you fly a good machine.

mike132.7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mike132.7 »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 pm You can see example annual inspection rates here:

Thanks man, piper doesn't really look cheaper than Cessnas. They really look like existing in the similar ranges.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

piper doesn't really look cheaper than Cessnas. They really look like existing in the similar ranges.
Don't consider the inspection cost as the only (or comparative) maintenance cost. During the annual inspection, the things which should be repaired will vary too. Sure, if you have a great plane, and you keep it great, "repair/replacement" costs should be happily low, but they'll never be none. Yes, there are some types which are generally more costly to maintain, usually because of more complex systems, but otherwise, within a class and construction means, similar planes will have similar inspection costs. The variable will be what should be being repaired...

FZYK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FZYK »

It all depends, of course, on cost of consumables and repairs. Just an "inspection" Annual with nothing wrong will be between 1 and 2 K Depends on how indepth the AME wants to go will determine the amount of hours.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

If you look at our website, www.coastdogaviation.com we publish the flat rate annual inspection rate for a number of types of airplanes. This is, of course, with the addition for AD's, Oil, Filters, etc. That means we will do your version of the annual and then we will add on what we cannot forsee.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

I owned a fairly high time 1965 172 G. It was roughly $800-$1400 for the four annuals i had it for. The first one was the highest and then went down from there. I had some parts that needed replacement like elevator bushings fuel drains and primer gaskets. The stuff that had detoriated over the years. I then used most of my annuals to have installed new parts as it was about the only time i had my AME’s undivided attention. I installed an engine monitor, cowl cam lock fasteners, carpet etc so the labour costs were a little higher. I participated to learn and maybe save some dollars. This was worth the price of admission alone.

My AME and i made a list of wants and needs and did them in priority as required and if they broke first they were replaced first. I had four relative trouble free mostly inexpensive flying years. My biggest cost in maintenance was 1 cylinder that had to be pulled and rebuilt and a DG that wore out.

Find an AME willing to let you participate and as you gain experience you can do basic maintenance like oil changes, plug changes and the like. Also you become able to gain a new skill and confidence in your abilities and equipment.

mike132.7
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mike132.7 »

Kejidog wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:47 am I owned a fairly high time 1965 172 G. It was roughly $800-$1400 for the four annuals i had it for. The first one was the highest and then went down from there. I had some parts that needed replacement like elevator bushings fuel drains and primer gaskets. The stuff that had detoriated over the years. I then used most of my annuals to have installed new parts as it was about the only time i had my AME’s undivided attention. I installed an engine monitor, cowl cam lock fasteners, carpet etc so the labour costs were a little higher. I participated to learn and maybe save some dollars. This was worth the price of admission alone.

My AME and i made a list of wants and needs and did them in priority as required and if they broke first they were replaced first. I had four relative trouble free mostly inexpensive flying years. My biggest cost in maintenance was 1 cylinder that had to be pulled and rebuilt and a DG that wore out.

Find an AME willing to let you participate and as you gain experience you can do basic maintenance like oil changes, plug changes and the like. Also you become able to gain a new skill and confidence in your abilities and equipment.
Thanks man, I checked all the replies and concluded that pilot has to fly carefully and treat his plane nicely. I used to see how quickly my previous school's AME had to respond quickly about any snags or even incidents. Reminded me of one of my friend flying and found power loss and landed, then turned out two cylinders were replaced. that must a huge amount of money. I guess a deposit has to be maintained for these unexpected stuff. :cry:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

mike132.7 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:34 pm Hi Wonderful AMEs, just like to get some insights on the yearly costs you would spend for 172 maintenainces. We are looking to buy and a M modle or P model, any differences in the costs between these two? I know they are similar, but dont know if you professionals know more about the details in terms of the parts.
My 02 cents

Buy a nice airplane. There is a lot of junk on the market where the owner has skimped and deferred on maintenance for many years and is now trying to unload the airplane. The cost of getting a neglected airplane back up to snuff can be huge. I know of one poor fellow who imported a C 150 from the US. It cost him 14,000 dollars to get the airplane up to an acceptable state. There was not one big thing just a long list if items that should have been fixed or replaced over the years but were instead neglected.

The good news is that a well sorted airplane should not have any surprises if it is kept up. This means that at every annual there will be stuff fixed. Personally in addition to the labour for the inspection I would budget $ 2000 for repair of items that are getting worn/loose/tatty/or otherwise at the end of their life. I would also make sure I have the financial resources to at any time be able to afford a $ 5000 unexpected bill.

Finally the best thing you can do to an airplane is hangar it.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Mike

A bit late re-replying. Did you ever purchase a plane? What was it and how are you making out? I can offer a bit of advice about needs and wants. I recently sold my bare bare bones 172 for a 182 that is a cherry low time airframe sub 300h engine and prop. With great paint. Pure 170,s narco radios and an old adf that’s about it I made the mistake of not looking for one equipped for my (now) mission. It has 2 radios and an old adf. I mistakenly thought I would just add a gps, a Nav com , an indicator and start my IFR. I am now seeing the fault of my decision.

Well do I need my IFR rating? If I intend to fly this plane for travel should I have the extra tool for OTT and the ability for light IFR. Now did I need an IFR equipped 172 to attain my Ppl? No, one single Nav com was all I needed.I paid accordingly and got a solid good working 172 for my mission. Now it has changed to a different one.

Now don’t get me wrong I flew all over eastern canada and Ontario for 4 years with an iPad and a garmin glo and my single radio all VFR. I also flew my 182 home from BC without panel mount gps and now TWO! Radios, the luxury allVFR. I soon started to wish for that single pilot IFR behind some sort of glass panel. Well it is gonna be around $40k for a basic IFR panel and another $15k for a good autopilot. I thought I could scrounge used Nav/com’s and a gps with indicators. Only to find the cost of the installation is a huge chunk of the above costs. I think that to fly a any amount of IFR single pilot safely I need an AP. Now I am not talking about doing this as a means to 5a take off into solid cloud but for safety and ease of travel etc I am now thinking I am good with VFR and take more time to arrive and or leave early for weather. So long story short I spent my upgrade money on a good engine monitor and really will thinK of whether I need to get my IFR rating. But one thing I know I would love to fly over some of the many clouds I have had to bounce around under while remaining VFR. BUY THE PLANE FOR YOUR MISSION.

Oh don’t worry about maintenance those bills will sort themselves out ;)

johnwa
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by johnwa »

Big difference between private annuals and corporate annuals.
My private `180 annual was 500.00 a few years ago and that went up to 3000.00 plus time fixing etc once it went 703 ops.
Needless to say, I had to do all the work, open up for access, etc etc.
Thought this info helps to negotiate prices.

Keep it Safe.
John

Return to “Maintenance”